News:

• May 05, 2024, 08:20:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Browsing  (Read 1620 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Browsing
« on: November 12, 2009, 04:31:36 PM »
Got another box of plans off the floor liiking for a set of plans of Netzband's Ambush.  I know of one personon here that might remember the name of these plans. They are the "Shrika II" & "Shrika FAI".  Plans are a little faded.  The other person listed on the plans I have not heard from in years.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Gary James

• Lieutenant
  • Shredding streamers since 1971
    • Mini-IMP Aircraft Co.
Re: Browsing
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 07:28:16 AM »
Hi Doc:

Those are mine.  The other guy is Greg Turpin.  He moved out to the Bay area when he was in his senior year of high school.      Last I heard he was a finish carpenter in a suburb of Denver.  I haven't hear from him in over 25 years.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:57:17 AM by Paul Smith »
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
AMA 68845

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 02:56:46 PM »
I was going to bring up Greg on the '75 Nats thread.  He was a hippie by then and came from California in a hippie van-- possibly a former milk delivery truck.  He had a girlfriend (which maybe he acquired at the Nats) and a kitten with him.  The kitten patrolled the combat pits and was shiny from having been petted by so many oily hands.    

Hmm.  This post seems to have been censored, which left part of it not making sense. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:28:55 AM by Howard Rush »
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 03:01:07 PM »
Howard
please go to this page and post 26
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=13543.0

Enlarge the pic, bottom pic.
Is this the Van?

Greg is in pictures #30 and #37

I think I remember the Shrika II as being a foamie with tapered wing?

I dont remember the cat.

I don't remember helping Greg test the G-21 case.......I dont remember allot! that might be best..................

Great to see that my old heroes are still flying combat.
David Roland

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 12:24:49 AM »
I don't remember the van, but that could be it. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 10:57:25 AM »
I don't remember the van, but that could be it. 

I was around in the 70's and I never witnessed any of this stuff.   Maybe my GI haircut made me look like a narc and everybody went down low.
Paul Smith

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 03:59:58 PM »
You just weren't on the mailing list for the good contests with all the girls.  Could be because I was miffed at never having been invited to the Detroit Invitational.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:55:11 AM by Paul Smith »
The Jive Combat Team

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 07:20:35 PM »
The last time I saw Greg that was the type van he was living in.  I know I didn't hang around him much.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 03:53:51 AM »
You just weren't on the mailing list for the good contests with all the girls and drugs.  Could be because I was miffed at never having been invited to the Detroit Invitational.

Sorry about the Detroit Invitational.  It was under different management in the olden days.  For those few who hadn't heard about, the DI was limited to the Top 25 flyers in Combat, Stunt, and Rat.

You're invited to next one, May 15 & 16, 2010.  Same girls as before, just a little older.
Paul Smith

Offline Gary James

• Lieutenant
  • Shredding streamers since 1971
    • Mini-IMP Aircraft Co.
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 06:56:18 AM »
Howard
please go to this page and post 26
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=13543.0

Enlarge the pic, bottom pic.
Is this the Van?

Greg is in pictures #30 and #37

I think I remember the Shrika II as being a foamie with tapered wing?

I dont remember the cat.

I don't remember helping Greg test the G-21 case.......I dont remember allot! that might be best..................

Great to see that my old heroes are still flying combat.

Nope, I don't think that's the van, but it's similar.  Turpin and I rode in the van from KC to Lake Charles and back in that van.  His van was a converted blue and white milk truck where the engine bay protruded slightly from the front of the main cabin.  

Yes, that's him in #30 and #37.  

Yes, the Shrika II was a tapered wing foamie but it had a wood, built-up center section to hold the engine on securely.  We hadn't figured out how to keep a .35 on the airplane at that time.  Early versions in 1972, didn't have a secure engine mount and the engine would come off after about 3 flights.  The wooden center section fixed that.  The airplane is the first one on the left in picture #1  http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13543.0;attach=46281;image

I vaguely remember the kitten now that Howard reminds me of it.

His full name is Gregory Dale Turpin.  Last I knew of him, he was a finish/trim carpenter in a suburb of Denver.  Some city that started with an "L" but I can't remember.  He was always a meticulous builder, much better than I am, so I guess it's natural that he should end up in a skilled carpentry trade.  I'd like to find him again, but couldn't find anything by "googling" his name.  He and I were best friends before he moved to California.  We spent most of the winter in his basement designing and building new combat planes.  His parents, Ray and Betty, were like second parents to me when I was a kid.  He has a big sister, Linda.  I miss them all and hope they are doing well.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:54:22 AM by Paul Smith »
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
AMA 68845

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 06:55:04 PM »
Hi Gary
Those were the days man.
Hanging out designing, building and flying to Rock N Roll! n~

Enlarging the pic of van it looks like combat planes painted on the side.

In 74 and 75 3 fliers(me included) some helpers and a few girlfriends slept at the circles in a Blue Dodge window van with mags. Mom an Dad( Dad was also combat flier and footed bill for all of us others)Stayed in a big green motor home at the combat site also.
That Van in the pictures was there when we got up one morning. Had a motorcycle with who ever it was??

Paul
You were a Narc?! ~^
Probably why we never met.... LL~
(just funnin)

Dont worry Howard
You were mostly always the top in my book.

Spent so much time hiding from Paul and Doc that's all I remember now. LL~ LL~ LL~
Being a teenager and flying model airplane in the 70s was not as easy as you may think.

David
David Roland

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here