News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:36:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blackhawk Demon  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Clifton Gregory

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Blackhawk Demon
« on: February 27, 2011, 10:06:59 PM »
I have a Blackhawk double Demon Kit. I will be using a Brodak BH-539 likes it states on the box. I know some people use epoxy and silicone to attach the tank in place. Just wondering if these are the best options out there. Thanks.

Offline Clifton Gregory

• Ensign
Re: Blackhawk Demon
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 07:28:50 PM »
I have a Blackhawk double Demon Kit. I will be using a Brodak BH-539 likes it states on the box. I know some people use epoxy and silicone to attach the tank in place. Just wondering if these are the best options out there. Thanks.

Made a mistake on the tank, BH-596

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 12:54:33 PM »
If I remember right the tank fits in the wing, from the one I had year ago.  Use epoxy.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 10:59:07 PM »
                I built the Blackhawk Demon myself. I thought it was a fun airplane to build and the fits were very nice. I elected to go the bladder route and installed bladder compartment made from a cardboard tube from the roll of paper towels. This was a bit challenging due to that airfoil not being very thick and I wanted good fuel capacity. My concern initially with the tank in which I had problems like this before was getting the tank height correct to the engine. Once you've glued it in your committed. DO you drill  a hole through the leading edge for the pickup to come through? Does this weaken the leading edge due to it being located off to the side of the center of the plane? I've come across this problem before on other models. I would like to see some pictures of models with hard tanks within them if someone has them. Most of my models fly with bladders but I would surely like to try the metal tanks. Ken

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 08:52:49 AM »
Back in the day of VooDoo's, Big Irons, Sneakers and other I always ran metal tanks.  Running full crankcase pressure never worried about tank height.  Just made sure it was centered behind the engine. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Clifton Gregory

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 12:23:31 AM »
Thanks John

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 06:56:25 AM »
I built one Demon from a genuine Wooten Flite Line kit.

As was the custom at the time, I used a pacifier and just let the compartment protrude above and below the wing.  I may look unstreamlined, but a lot of contests, including several World Championships have been won with that setup.  In addition to most of the Texans, Richard Wilkins and the Outlaws ran paciifers with protruding compartments.

The advantage is that the pacifier has lower pressure than a tuning bladder and the needle value is not nearly as critical.  There are lots of NVA's that work fine with a pacifier, but leak or don't adjsut right with a bladder.  Pacifier compartments seem to fit between the spars a lot easier than either hard tanks or tubing bladders.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here