News:

• April 26, 2024, 11:23:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: beginner combat  (Read 7736 times)

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
beginner combat
« on: December 09, 2013, 08:26:41 PM »
I'm thinking of starting a beginner combat around .15 sport engines. 
Thinking so far:
.15 sport engines
speed limit(not sure on the max speed yet)
any plane(not sure on min sq.in)
52' lines

Any thoughts? Planes that would work with engines?  Anyone tried it?

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
Re: beginner combat
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 08:36:19 PM »
The Junior Flite Streak would work with this engine.  Not sure why not make it Fox 35 combat class ... everyone has a Fox 35 Stunt.  That would support just about any of the old combat designs. 

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 09:35:28 PM »
That is a great idea.

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 10:07:09 PM »
Fox 35 Stunt engine ... 10 x 6 prop ... suction tanks only .... any design pre - whatever date makes the most sense ... like 1960 or something along those lines .... not unlike OTS but rather OTC ... a max speed could be imposed without too much of a challenge. 

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 07:49:37 AM »
I like the idea and will throw it out there. I want to include as many people as I can, so I want to be careful not to put tomany limits on engines and planes.  But maybe they will like this idea, we already have NW Sport Race with a Fow .35.  And they like that.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 11:20:25 AM »
Why not just use the existing rules for Speed Limit Combat and have a separate class for the so called beginners.   But, really put the beginner in the circle with an experienced combat flyer and let him take lessons.   Don't need to go full out combat.  I think some places have that already, but the expert flies level and lets the beginner attack.   But, make sure they know how to loop each way and do 8's.   My opinion.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Brad LaPointe

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 11:25:44 AM »
This looks a lot like New Zealand rules slow combat . 52' (15.92m) lines ,3.3 sec lap times . The Kiwi's run mostly F2D planes with sport .15's .Two classes ,1 plane ! Old diesel planes also work as will anything that turns well at those speeds .

The Formula  that we fly at Brodak's is even more beginner friendly .60' lines and slow speeds . The 60' lines gives you more "room" .In NZ combat the short lines allow the models to stay out on the lines better but you have less sky to hide in .

Most speed limit events are "run what you bring" and can be very cost effective .Around here the locals recycle old F2D models found in the bin . Sometimes it takes 3 models to make 1 but "free" is pretty cheap .

Brad

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 11:47:18 AM »
I've never been happy with the procedure of Brodak combat.  You're not even trying to beat your so-called "opponent".  You just cooperate to get all the cuts you can and avoid hitting each other or the ground.

Maybe we could come up with something that's less destructive and still let it be competative.  I might like to see maybe a three-miniute match with no pit stops and no air time, just a flat rate bonus for staying up the whole time. 

Paul Smith

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 09:41:01 PM »
Thanks for your input guys.  I think I'll wait to see what they want to run next year.  If they run 80mph, my boys and I will build and run what we have for he first  year.  If they don't, I like the idea of sport 15 combat, any sport 15, any plane, 52' line, and a speed limit.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 06:57:49 PM »
I've never been happy with the procedure of Brodak combat.  You're not even trying to beat your so-called "opponent".  You just cooperate to get all the cuts you can and avoid hitting each other or the ground.

Maybe we could come up with something that's less destructive and still let it be competative.  I might like to see maybe a three-miniute match with no pit stops and no air time, just a flat rate bonus for staying up the whole time. 

You are right Paul, in any given match it isn't necessary to win the match.  You are trying to beat everyone else in the contest, including the flyer in the current match.  So purposefully giving up cuts is not a winning strategy.  If everybody managed to do it the last round would end up with a bunch of near ties separated only by air times and midairs.  So the last round would be interesting to say the least.  Getting 3 cuts against good competition is very hard without risking a midair and both flyers getting dumped down 3-4 places.  Again, if everybody co-operated in the last round the results would depend on a few seconds of air time spread over 4 matches.
phil Cartier

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 06:13:58 AM »
                  One thing I feel which may be an issue is trying to regulate the speed of a .15. While we do it successfully using plain bearing .25's this becomes very problematic using ball bearing .25's as the engine just doesn't want to run slow. Going out to longer line lengths with a .15 such as 60's in my opinion isn't the solution as the line tension dramatically is lessened. I've had better luck at flying the .15's using .018's on 52's but you don't always gain using them as the feel of the plane is now compromised slightly. Unless your group of flyers are willing to use the same engine, I find it might be very difficult for you to place a speed limit on .15 size models unless you specify one or certain engine types. If your allowing f2d engines, the speeds are going to be difficult to control from one plane to the next.

For the beginner, this can be very difficult unless someone that your flying with is already utilizing a way to regulate the speeds. This way all can copy that current setup. Phil C put our group of flyers on the path early on using .15's. These were pretty much OS LA engines. The OS LA .15 will run out of the box using the stock needle valve and bladder on currently available props like the thin bladed Master Airscrew 7x4's.  It will however work better if you use a remote OS #1A needle on the engine as you can lean it up more. The stock rear mounted needle is coarse and the taper of the needle doesn't allow for a peaked needle setting like the #1A does. One thing that was expressed early on to our crowd was  to not let the current F2d equipment out there cloud your head. Keep it simple as possible and use currently available components.

Flying any of the F2d wings is more or less going to be a Kamikaze flight. For the most part, to my knowledge that's what is  currently available and they're not going to withstand ground pounding. Sport .15's aren't going to fly these the same way as F2d engines. I've built several foamies based around Phil's Gotch 400 sq cores. Easy to fix and I've done my share of hitting the ground. Having enough planes to fly is key (Note to self). I would suggest having 3 planes per pilot per day (Another note to self).  The foamies planes take a bit of experience to build, but many on here can be most helpful in regards to how and what to do. I've been exploring the .15 size once again but I'm using older F2d engine designs that are considered no longer competitive.

Using built up balsa wings such as suggested is going to deter any new flyer in my opinion. These take time to build and they're done in one hit. Rules for beginner combat: #1 have fun, #2 don't maneuver unless you can see your opponent, #3 see #1, #4 don't fall in love with your plane. Ken

James_Mynes

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 02:08:07 PM »
The Formula GX event as used in New England for many years now is very beginner friendly. Roughly 48" of foam wing with a slab of 3/4" pine for a fuselage, some motor mounts and a tail. Any engine/tank/prop you want to run as long as your no faster than 3.5 sec/lap (roughly 75 mph).
The .25, .35 and .40 engines generally used in that event are pulling well enough to give good line tension on .018x60' lines. Airplane construction is quick and easy, repairs are easy, and most parts can be recycled. Sure, some guys are going to dominate, but they've tweaked their stuff (maybe CF tubes instead of pine, big lightening holes in the wing) and aren't exactly beginners any more. But most of the ones I've flown with are more than willing to help a beginner.
I don't really see a need to re-invent the wheel when speed limit combat is already a beginner friendly event.

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 02:17:22 PM »
I don't know that I said, but I was thinking of this for our local events.  Hope I didn't confuse anyone.  You all have helped a ton with your ideas and comments.
Thanks

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 06:39:26 PM »
I still like my Fox 35 Stunt engine idea.   In auto racing there are 'Spec' engine classes designed to hold down cost and speeds.  A race is a race no matter the engine.  They idea is all engines are equal and the setup and the driver determine the winner. 

Joe
Joe Daly

James_Mynes

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 07:31:30 AM »
Fox 35 Combat has been done as well, and can be tons of fun. But there's always 'that guy' who bores out his venturi, does some grinding on the crank port, or some other tweak and is about 20mph faster than everybody else. That's why I like the speed limit idea. Anything goes, as long as you don't exceed XXmph. Skill classes help, too, that way you might be flying against an expert, but you're competing against your peers. The experts have lighter, tighter turning stuff, and a skill set to match, but the beginners are keeping up and learning a thing or two.

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 07:49:37 AM »
The guys that cheat to win a 6 dollar trophy never cease to amaze me.   The answer to reworked engines would be a claimer option to any entrant.   If you want someone else's engine you can claim it for an established fee.  In the case of Fox 35 Stunt I would suggest $35 would be fair claimer fee.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 09:48:53 AM »
Out of all the ideas for Beginner/Entry Level Combat, I like the Fox 35 idea the most.  We have a NW race with Fox 35's, one of my boys a I entered this year and had a blast with it.

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 12:54:59 PM »
there are certainly enough around ...  plus cheap to buy if in the unlikely event someone doesn't have one.

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 02:15:48 PM »
It seems to me that a speed limit makes all other engine limitations irrelevant.

No event will ever be a "beginner" event unless experienced competitors are excluded.

Maybe "low tech" or "low performace" would be a better name than "beginner".

Paul Smith

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 02:26:37 PM »
Low tech is not an enticing term ... Entry level is the purpose ... a lot of people would like to try combat that have never attempted it.  If the rules are simple and the technology reasonable a lot of flyers will try it. Especially if it is a fun event that doesn't require extensive construction and cost.
How about a Bi-slob combat event?
Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 10:54:29 PM »
Joe
Bi-slob combat would be crazy man. 

Low Tech, Low performance, beginner, entry level, it doesn't matter what you call it to me.  I don't get caught up in that kind of thing.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 10:05:11 PM »
Duke, if you really want to get beginners going, start start 'em flying in training sessions.  They have to first learn to fly the plane-  start with climbs and dives, work up through wingovers and loops, then figure eights both ways.

Once they can control the plane they can start flying training matches.  start out trading cuts in level flight.  When they can start getting cuts consistelnty work up to climbs and dives and learning to fly eyes-off. 

Once they get that far the best training is to fly against better flyers who can help keep trouble from happening.  They can learn to follow the other plane chasing cuts, how to handle line crosses and tangles, watching the other plane.

An avid combat prospect can go from level laps to winning matches in one summer.  With some good opponents they can be competent pilots in two years and top notch.  Like anything else it takes training and practice.

phil Cartier

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 07:02:25 AM »
IMHO, a 25 sized purpose build foamie is the best way to get started.  They are cheap, and quick to build and repair.  The mild 25's starts easily on bladders.  I love fox 35's but modern 25's make as much power and are easier to live by.

That being said, is Asia guys run sport (OS) .15 engines in slow combat and have a ball.  A regular F2d airplane with a milder engine is just fine. 

The any sport plane thing scares me.  You need an airplane that can hit the ground and re-fly.  You will hit the ground much more often than the other plane, the ground is a lot bigger.
if a simple mistake requires a complete re-kit, it will turn people off. 

You can put 2 sport planes up with streamers and have one guy fly level and practice getting cuts.   So you can get started there. 

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 08:49:40 AM »
Phil-Great advice, thanks.  I'm thinking about making a couple coroplast wings with Tee Dees on them for a little training.  It should help my boys and I get use to having two in the center.

Dave-What's a .25 size set up you would use for 80mph combat? A picture would be helpful, if you would. We will must likely jump into 80mph this year.

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 12:07:36 PM »

As for an engine

here is a nice conversion
http://flyinglines.org/buzz.Fx25.html

one of Phil's planes is great or derivatives of them
http://home.earthlink.net/~philcartier/
http://www.tulsacl.com/YankeeNipper.html

Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 03:32:34 PM »
Thanks Dave. I'll read the whole acrticle on the Nipper tonight.  Looks good.

Anyone know if Jim Carpenter is still around?  I tried to email him, but it was returned.

Offline tim lackey

• Ensign
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 06:17:11 PM »
Talked to Jim's wife yesterday she told that they didn't have anything advertised left and didn't know when or if they would have more. I'm in the process of building some nippers myself. I do now that corehouse can supply the cores.
Tim

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 06:37:33 PM »
It sounds like your saying Jim had kits?  I didn't know that.  I was trying to get in touch with him to ask some questions.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 08:13:37 PM »
Duke, Jim did not sell kits but he had all the stuff to get you well on your way to build Yankee Nippers. He sold the plans, pine center ribs, and some really nice motor mounts that were reversible for different size engines. I started SL 2 years ago and Yankee Nippers is what I built. I called Jim to get some center ribs and mounts, when the box arrived it had plans, booms and some delrin venturi's free of charge. Super nice guy and would talk on the phone and answer all my questions. Nippers are good entry level planes for SL. Easy to build and pretty tough. Can be flown on a bunch of engines. Regards, Mike
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 10:48:58 PM »
Thanks Mike.  What engines did you run? 

Does anyone have Jim's contact info?

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2013, 07:19:38 AM »
Duke, I am running OS LA 40's. Mainly because I already had a few and they are cheap at swap meets, and you can still get parts for them. Here is a link to Jim's info http://necn.homestead.com/ThisandThatHome.html                                       
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2013, 10:02:12 AM »
Thanks Mike. I have at least one 40LA and like you said, easy to get.  Will it do 80mph? And if so, on what? Nitro %? Prop? Thanks again.

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2013, 10:09:30 AM »
Duke, I am running OS LA 40's. Mainly because I already had a few and they are cheap at swap meets, and you can still get parts for them. Here is a link to Jim's info http://necn.homestead.com/ThisandThatHome.html                                       
There's some good info on his site. Thanks

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2013, 11:41:22 AM »
I am running 10% nitro and 9x5 or 9x6 Schimitar S2 props available from Tower. If the plane is really light I've had to go to a 9x4 to be under the speed limit. That's the nice thing about Speed Limit no fancy motors, planes, etc. Lots of airplane, engine combo's can do 75mph.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2013, 10:31:16 PM »
Duke, you can probably get the LA 40 up to 80 mph.  It will need an oversize venturi, something around an 8/6 prop, and maybe higher nitro like 25%.
phil Cartier

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2013, 09:29:14 AM »
Thanks Phil!

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2013, 04:50:42 PM »
Thanks Phil!
I hope your still thankful if it blows the crank!
phil Cartier

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2013, 08:26:17 PM »
I'll start with 10% first.

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2013, 05:12:45 PM »
Duke, The LA .40 will do 80mph no problem. Some of my LA .40's will go 80 or 82mph on 10% with a 9x6 or 9x7. The contests I fly in are 75mph so I use 9x5's or 9x4's with 10%.

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2013, 06:16:12 PM »
Thanks. If I can ever learn to fly my glider, and stop having to repair it. I'll have time to build a combat plane for a LA40.

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2013, 09:48:33 AM »
           While it's been suggested that the use of the LA .40 is worthy, I must comment on a few things here. The LA .25 will fly 80 mph on a plane like suggested above which is the Nipper which only requires the venturi to be slightly opened. In it's stock configuration using the .265 venturi, it doesn't exceed the speed limit for the North East which is 75mph using a 8x4 prop.  It also flies that plane for 5 minutes with a fuel load of just shy of 2.5 oz's. The LA .40 however which is more than 1.5 oz's heavier also uses about 4 ounces of fuel to do so. Between the weight of the engine and it's fuel load this will have a dramatic change on the way the model flies. I'm not saying it won't work, but why do more with something heavier when something lighter can be substituted? It's also to my understanding that flying at your suggested 80 mph is going to require a fuel shutoff device. This has now clearly taken the beginner portion out of the picture. I've played around with the .40's and quickly resort back to the smaller mills due to turning ability and fuel economy. You need to have a KC-135 flying next to you . I've had several .40's not even make the 4 minute mark. Ken

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2013, 05:44:02 PM »
Hey Ken! Thanks for your comments.  I'll give the 25LA's a try also.  BTW, the 80mph speed limit is something they already do here, with shut-offs.  The idea was, if they didn't fly speed limit next year, I'd try starting something for beginners.

Offline Randy Bush

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2013, 09:57:17 AM »
Duke,
I expect the LA25 could work.  For sport flying, I had an ARF Flite Streak (no fin or LG) with an OS25FP (40FP/LA venturi on suction) on 10-10-10 fuel.  A great dependable setup. One of the veteran combat fliers said it looked about 75 to 80mph, though he didn't put a watch on it.  I have seen LA25's that run as well as the FP25's. 
All the stuff, except appropriate tank, is available from Tower or others.  The ARF streak fuselage needs the nose reinforced -- I bushed the engine mount holes and glassed back to the spar, adding a fillet at the wing root.
(Also that LA25 venturi will turn your LA40 into a decent stunt engine.)
Randy

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2013, 10:37:32 AM »
FP25 can really perform- prop'd correctly they will pull a light ship as well or  better then a by pass 35  ... I never tried an LA25 but I would assume they perform in a similar fashion.   
Joe Daly

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2014, 05:26:26 AM »
          Seeing that the Fp.25 and the LA .25 are the staple engine that we do use in the northeast, I can tell you performance wise on Phil's  planes with the same prop they're pretty much equal. Those that I do fly with have Nelson heads however. They do claim zero performance gain which I disagree with due to their engine certainly running stronger than mine. Anytime I used a Nelson plug on a engine, I always seen a increase in rpm's. Regardless of the rpm differences, the Fp tends to burp on the outsides more than the LA does. I often wondered if it was the additional port in the sleeve that maybe causing this. This is a meaningless problem due to it being a very mild one. The one thing I have noted though is that the FP .25 was offered in both ABN and iron piston configuration. I wouldn't suggest the iron piston version to run on a combat plane. Although one of my club members uses these exclusively, a bit more care needs to be paid to this version. The ABN would be a better choice and is much more forgiving.

Many suggestions were offered and one thing I would like to contribute is the use of a plain bearing engine initially. It just makes the learning process much easier due to just not ruining the bearings when you stuff it in the dirt. While some have suggested the use of tanks, I would personally forego that idea as bladder pressure is so much easier to use with less problems overall in the maneuvers and running. Ken

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2014, 09:31:21 AM »
           While some have suggested the use of tanks, I would personally forego that idea as bladder pressure is so much easier to use with less problems overall in the maneuvers and running. Ken
Agreed.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2014, 07:00:59 PM »
 I'm not saying it won't work, but why do more with something heavier when something lighter can be substituted?  Ken Cook"

One nice thing about speed limit/beginner combat is many different styles of flying can work.
Since the planes have to fly on .018 lines(steel or spectra) a larger, heavier plane can haul larger lines better, especially steel, in windy weather.  Neil Simpson makes a good point that a given size of lines take a certain weight of the plane to keep line tension in the right range.  I think Spectra lines do negate a lot this problem for smaller engines.

But if a 25 plane and a 40 plane have similar wing and span loadings    they can be trimmed to fly equally well, but the larger plane will still have an advantage in the wind.  It's got more momentum(massxvelocity) to punch through gusts.
phil Cartier

Offline David_Ruff

• David Ruff
  • Commander
  • Retired Army
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2014, 05:35:03 PM »
Hi, guys.  Rank beginner and old guy here and the blessing is that I am in Phil's club.  I was with him today.  I want to fly combat and I have flown one of Phil's foam wings with the LA .25.  It seems pretty much like the way to start.  I am going to get with Phil and stock up on hardware and learn as much as I can.  This is my first post here. 
Just glad to be here

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2014, 08:10:31 PM »
Hey, Phil has been around a couple of years and has written articles on getting into combat.   Listen to him.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here