News:

• April 30, 2024, 07:40:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A proposal to revitalize Fast Combat - AMA event #328  (Read 4343 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
A proposal to revitalize Fast Combat - AMA event #328
« on: December 07, 2009, 07:35:13 AM »
I think that most people would have to agree. Our beloved event #328, AMA Fast Combat is pretty near grave yard dead.

There are only a few sparsely-attended local contests per year and even the mighty AMA Nats can only draw a token few flyers to take home the plaques.

Meanwhile, F2D, with a plethora of rules and the very expensive 2-plane rule, is thriving.

The idea of using an all-out pressurized high nitro 36 goes back to 1950 or maybe even earlier. By 1970 (40 years ago), the majority of combat flyers had already decided that the event was out of hand and switched to Slow.

So here's my proposal: EVENT 328 - AMA Combat.

All equipment rules (airplane, engine, muffler, shutoff, lines, handle, wrist strap, and streamer) will use FAI F2D rules. Only one set of equipment per match.

The conduct of the match will remain the same.
Start engine on the clock, kill wins, 100 points per cut, one point per second, five minute match.

Let's face it. Fox Mark VI & VII and Nelson 36's aren't on the market anymore. Those who bought them have had 15-20 years to get their money's worth.

The hard core Rat flyers finally gave up the 40 and downsized to 15's. Better to face current realities and preserve old fashioned KILL COMBAT than to sit back and let it fade away. Racing downisized to preserve 3-up racing. Likewise, we could change Fast over to F2D equipment and preserve KILL COMBAT.

By using the same equipment in Fast & F2D, we would reduce the variety of stuff we need to carry to compete.  F2D stuff is easily purchased today.  Old style Fast comabt equipment is only sold in the aftermarket  or brought out from the personal hoards of the older combat flyers, some of whom are aging rapidly.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 06:47:44 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
Re: A proposal to revitalize Fast Combat - AMA event #328
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 05:19:55 PM »
All sounds good to me. I would fly in your event. But you could refer to it as something like 328(a), which would still leave fast open for the few diehards that remain...

Chad Hill

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 06:57:22 PM »
Thanks for the support.  It's been all positive thus far.

If I pull the trigger it, it will be the new revised AMA Combat event.

If anybody still wants to use up the old 36-powered planes, they can have a local "nostalgia" or "old time" event.  

Up 'til now, I didn't take a position on the fuel.  I was thinking about allowing the revised "fast" event to use ANY fuel.   But that would make guys have to jockey head clearance and maybe get different props and mayhe blow up or wear down good F2D engines.  So I think I'll include F2D fuel in the "just like F2D" list.  

At a typical double elim F2d contest you need about ten decent airplanes to be assured of going the distance.  With only one plane per match and the "kill ends" rule, you should be able to get by with only 2 or 3 models.  However, the models in the AMA event might need to be trimmed to a higher standard to get the quick kill.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 08:25:31 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 08:21:55 PM »
You might reconsider the additional vs. instead-of.  If we have a "Nostalgia" event, we'd want to be covered by AMA insurance. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 04:25:31 AM »
You might reconsider the additional vs. instead-of.  If we have a "Nostalgia" event, we'd want to be covered by AMA insurance. 
Howard, what would you consider about a "Nostalgia" event that would cause it to NOT be covered by AMA insurance?

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 06:39:22 AM »
I think Howard's point is that a revision of the rule like I'm proposing (and also the decrease of Rat from 40 to 15 and the limitation of Carrier II from unlimited to .65), would effectively leave the old equipment WELL in excess of current rules.

A local event sort of needs to have an equivalent or "more unsafe" Rule Book event to compare itself to.
An old 40-Rat could be used as a Formula 40 Speed plane, but you might be in the position Howard has brought up it you tried to actually race a couple of them.

A "nostalgia" Carrier plane, built with a pair of 60's would (in my opinion) be totally illegal under today's rules.

Maybe if my rule change succeeds, the owners of the few remaining 36-Fasts will have the year of 2010 to deplete their fleets in sanctioned contests.   From what I see, there's not very many left.
Paul Smith

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 09:03:07 AM »
I think that most people would have to agree. Our beloved event #328, AMA Fast Combat is pretty near grave yard dead.

/quote]

Go for it Paul,  I agree with simply replacing the current event with the smaller planes and engines.  It won't quite replace the fabulous adrenaline rush you get with 36 engines, but I'm finding it takes too much effort to get the old reflexes up to speed for 120 mph.  But I do like the KILL rule.  It generally makes for quick, decisive matches that are more fun than trying to figure out which of the myriad of F2D tricks is the one to use a what point in a match.
phil Cartier

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 02:37:34 PM »
I think Howard's point is that a revision of the rule like I'm proposing (and also the decrease of Rat from 40 to 15 and the limitation of Carrier II from unlimited to .65), would effectively leave the old equipment WELL in excess of current rules.

A local event sort of needs to have an equivalent or "more unsafe" Rule Book event to compare itself to.
An old 40-Rat could be used as a Formula 40 Speed plane, but you might be in the position Howard has brought up it you tried to actually race a couple of them.

A "nostalgia" Carrier plane, built with a pair of 60's would (in my opinion) be totally illegal under today's rules.

Maybe if my rule change succeeds, the owners of the few remaining 36-Fasts will have the year of 2010 to deplete their fleets in sanctioned contests.   From what I see, there's not very many left.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, Paul, but there's nothing about AMA insurance that would preclude using the models you mentioned, and still be be covered. Sure, illegal in competition, but if flown according to the safety code, you would still be covered. The only part of the Safety Code that refers to the competition rule book is for an applicable pull-test.

E.g., I can have a local contest with a non-rule book event called "Nostalgia Rat", 40's and everything. As long as I flew SAFELY, AMA's insurance would still be there. What would the pull-test be? Not sure what I would base it on for a 40 Rat, but I could make a case for using Slow Rat, or perhaps Formula 40 out of te speed rules.

E.g., The So Cal guys have their "Orange Crate" event. Certainly not associated with any sort of rule book event. Their activities are covered. Pull test would be based on the stunt rules.

Etc., etc., etc....

Illegal according to AMA's rule book does not mean uncovered by AMA's insurance. The insurance is not linked to the events listed in the RB other than for an applicable pull test.

I believe about the only part of the rule book that might cause AMA's insurance coverage to be in jeopardy for a combat event is (one of your favorite topics) the question of shut-offs. But even at that, I wonder what the AMA's legal beagles would say to a couple of non-competition guys out at the park one day having a little go with otherwise sport models if one got loose and did some serious damage.

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 03:29:31 PM »
Good, Howard will be relieved.

I went ahead and submitted the proposal.  It should be AMA's site soon.  Now it's in the hands of the 11-man Combat Contest Board.

Paul Smith

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 07:52:34 PM »
We can ask the question during the approval process.  Somehow we'd need to document that the old rules were being replaced for popularity reasons, rather than safety.  Keeping them in the book would make that easy. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 06:16:47 AM »
I suggest that this be added as a new event and leave 328 alone. Perhaps this should be "328A" much like the FF guys gave done with several of their rulebook events. I think a lot of confusion could be avoided this way since those wanting to fly 328 would still have a fixed set of rules. Tying one event to the rules of another creates a lot of unintended consequences. That was the reason we went to the "Unified Rules" concept many, many years ago in the AMA rule book.

BTW, I like the idea of 15 Fast (i.e., 328A or whatever).

Bill
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Gary James

• Lieutenant
  • Shredding streamers since 1971
    • Mini-IMP Aircraft Co.
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 06:37:56 AM »
Paul:

I think that you've got a very good idea there.  I HATE the F2d rules and I don't fly CL Combat anymore because of them.  It just isn't fun anymore.  But an event with equipment rules from F2d and scoring/operational rule from 328 would probably do a lot to revive interest.
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
AMA 68845

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 07:00:58 AM »
The Detroit Combat Team & Strathmoor Model Club have religiously kept events #328 and #329 on their event menus for their spring and fall contests at Rouge Park.   Up until the last two years, at least 2 or 3 die hards have put up a match or two to keep the events alive.

But this year, they trickled down to where we couldn't even get two guys to fly a match.  These rule changes will allow the events to continue, using the today's available equipment.

By the way, there's also a rules proposal (NOT BY ME) to keep Slow alive by scrapping out the old equipment and slipping in the Speed Limit rules.  While I DID NOT auther it, I do support it.

If this passes, the event menu with be:

1/2A (regular 35' or high performance 42')
Event 328 - Fast Combat (with F2D equipment)
Event 329 - Slow Combat (with a 75 MPH speed limit)
F2D - whatever rules the CIAM gives us.

I have in mind to put in a proposal the delete the old "low performance 35' lines" in 1/2A and let The Rule Book just carry the one set of rules we actually use.   What do you think of that?

Paul Smith

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 03:06:18 PM »
Late question...helmets? (Please--NO) mw~

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 02:28:34 PM »

By the way, there's also a rules proposal (NOT BY ME) to keep Slow alive by scrapping out the old equipment and slipping in the Speed Limit rules.  While I DID NOT auther it, I do support it.

Funny, the current combat rules already cover Speed Limit combat.  There is a whole paragraph on how to enforce the speed limit in order to avoid engine shutoffs.  The rest of it, matching, scoring, etc. can and is easily covered in local rules spelled out in the contest advertising if you don't want to use the 328 rules.  The Northwest crew like to go a little faster and use shutoffs, which is fine.  Actually shutoffs are not a bad idea, now that they are pretty well worked out, in sub 75mph combat for a minor safety improvement and to save a few planes.

As far as Half A goes, who cares.  The biggest draw for Half A around here is cheaper planes that survive crashes better, but since they are only going 75mph or so, the damage rate isn't much different between Half A and Speed Limit.  We usually run "sport Half A" and allow plain bearing .061's and usually Spectra lines for ease of use and the lower hassle factor.  The guys who insist on running the highdollar engines put the same 4-1/4 in. rubber ducky props as the 061's and things are very equal and fun.
phil Cartier

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 02:40:58 PM »
Helmets are NOT a part of my proposal.

We flew Fast Combat with 36's for sixty years without helmets.   So going to a smaller engine would not logically trigger an new "safety" rule.   This event will not involve the intense pit action with airplane changes and streamer transferring that drives the helmet rule in F2D.

The FAI-type equipment included in my proposal is limtied to engines, engine tethers, mufflers, fuel shutoffs, lines, pull test, fuel, and streamers.   So you are welcome to wear your helmet or not.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 08:31:44 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 10:45:08 PM »
Dont the rules currently allow .15 size planes and engines?   Why would this be any different than listing a displacement size limit for your contest?   With almost no contests offering any event other than speed limited within 500 miles of me you know what event I will be flying.   
Bob

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 12:18:35 PM »
Been a week with no replys to my questions.   Why with the rules already allowing 15 size planes do we need a rules change?   And seriously how do you really expect this to bring back combat?   You need new flyers not just the ability to fly the same models in two events.
Bob Furr

PS   Sounds a lot like Doc's Outlaw 15 event....

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 12:59:26 PM »
The current rules allow engines up to .36, which includes 15's.
The proposed new rule will allow engines up .1525, which does not include 36's.

Under the current rules there were only two reported contests in 2009, with at nationwide total of 14 entries.

There is an abundance of F2D equipment around, and I have a theory that there are more 14 people who will be willing to fly one-plane "KILL" combat with this equipment.   Many people (myself included), would like the chance to fly in a contests that only consume 2 or 3 models, comparted to all-out F2d meets that can use up 8-to-10 models.

Yes, could use an F2d (on 60' lines) against Nelson 36's under the existing rules. 
How good do you really think that would work?
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 07:54:39 PM »
I didnt suggest flying 15's against 36's... I suggested hosting a contest where you published a displacement limit of 15... it would really test out your theory before making changes that made equipment once again outdated.   
I got into combat the first time when there was a plain bearing requirement... and ended up non competitive within a year or two.   I know that not many are flying the AMA event but honestly that same event with a 75mph speed limit as the slow event could be flown by 15's or my half dozen Fox Combat Specials that are currently on speed limit planes.
I was a bit surprised to find this posted on essentially a stunt forum and not on the specialized combat forums...

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 04:00:48 AM »
Bob, the event that Paul is suggesting HAS been flown ... a LOT! We've flown it in Texas for many years, initially as a vehicle to give the guys who fly F2D a chance to build and maintain familiarity with their equipment, but eventually a popular event in its own right.

And, oh by the way, please check out the name of the forum where this was posted:

stunthanger.com > Speed,Combat,Scale,Racing > Combat

Seems like this is a very appropriate place for it. Perhaps others as well, but certainly here.

Regards,

Bill

PS: a public word of thanks to you for your monetary contribution to the F2 Team.
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Chad Hill

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 05:22:00 AM »
I believe it was also posted on the MACA website... H^^

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 05:59:20 AM »
The intent of the intent of the rule is not make yet anther local special event.

The intent is to make traditional National Championship Combat event something that a large number of people fly.

Back in 1957, 250 people entered AMA Combat at The Nats.  In those days, the 36-size engines had less power than modern F2D engines.  In the broad 60-year history of combat, the current 15 is pretty much in line with the HP that has been used.  The only except being the Fox Mark VI & VII, and Nelson 36, which triggered flyaways, shutoffs, and drastic drop in participation.

I attended the 2007, 2008, and 2009 Nats.  Reports listed names of 6, 7, or 8 entries, which included no-shows who prepaid their entry fees.  It also included a few veteran combat fliers who entered stunt or some other event a just borrowed one plane to put in an appearance.   I added to the total by putting a shutoff on an old plane and taking my beating.  There were some who entered because there was a sure Nats plaque to be claimed.   At best, there were 1, 2, or 3 serious entries per year.

Anyway, the matter is in the hands of the Contest Board.  If they agree with my position, they will approve the change.  If not, they won't.   
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 10:05:15 AM »
Keep fast combat equipmment as it is and just go to longer lines.  What would help is if it didn't take a loan on the house to be able to get competitive engines.  I think that is why speed limit is so popular in the NE.  Also maybe a limit on the number of planes to maybe two planes max to hopefully make the pilots fly a little more cautiously.  In time I think F2D may have to think of longer lines to slow it down so it might draw more people, but then again it seems to be picking up in popurlarity and could replace fast combat. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 12:59:50 PM »
AMA Fast Combat as it exists, relies on engines that have not been produced in two decades or so. How can "America's combat event" do anything but die a slow death if would-be newcomers can't even buy an engine?

If the ruling junta had just gone from .018" to .021" lines when the Nelsons and Mark VII's kicked up the speed, they might have fended off the final coupe de grace in the form of flyaway shutoffs.  I doubt that the same "leaders" will buy into longer lines. The people who run Speed and Racing have the common sense to up size the lines when speeds increase, they've even made it automatic. But Fast Combat guys wanted to keep the .018's and just go fast. What they got is an extinct event.

I think 100 MPH on 52' lines will provide the same quickness as 120 or so on 60's, and a whole lot less destruction when things go badly.

To those who disagree with my proposal I ask:
"Since the 2010 AMA Nats will be run according to CURRENT rules, will you be entering and flying?"
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:57:52 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 09:49:27 AM »
I quit flying combat at the NATS when they said I couldn't start my own engine.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 10:00:21 AM »
You can still strat your own engine is all events, but you take a beating on air time in some cases.

At The Nats, starting your own engune has become MANDATORY when there aren't enough people on site to fly, pit, and judge a match.

------------

More I think about it, there was a rule that confined the pilot to centre, maybe 40-45 years ago.  I hated it, too.  It was a "nice" rule if you travelled with a great pit crew and/or had perfect engines that anybody could start on the first flip.  Otherwise, it was death sentence.

Trust me, Doc, it's over.  It's safe to come back.  Get yourself a couple Nelsons and a box a Viko-Fasts and some shutoffs and help keep 36-Fast "alive".
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 12:57:44 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 02:08:02 PM »
Well, honestly, good luck on your proposal.   At the least it will generate a conversation.   I am aware that the event you describe was getting flown locally but it often looked like it was an attempt to circumvent the shut off rules by calling it F2D but using AMA rules for scoring.  That said I get my clock cleaned by guys flying F2D equipment in speed limited regularly so I know they can be competitive... I just hate that what is being suggested keeps us buying $$$$ engines to fly in the AMA event.   If anything killed combat it was the fact that it takes an investment in gear that exceeds the value of my van to be competitive... and its about as bad with F2D.    The days of picking up a Fox 36x and a couple of combat kits and then flying all summer are gone.... that said I think you will have trouble moving me off of speed limited which was the real event with potential to build participation.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 09:22:31 AM »
Wellll,

The Foxes listed for $100 and the Nelson 36 was HARD-priced at $275, which is to say, Henry sold them direct and didn't give an inch.  Like you, I predicted that the cost would kill the event.  The opposite proved to be true. Guys bought $275 Nelsons in droves.  The out-of-control power and speed, coupled with the refusal to upsize the lines is what did in Fast & Slow.

A FORA 2008, the current F2D engine of choice sells for $240 and you need TWO to fly a match.  We have 10 entries at local F2D contests and there were 37 at the 2009 TT in Detroit.   There are plenty of F2D planes and engines in the country.

If my proposal fails, it will not be due the cost and availablity of the equipment.
Paul Smith

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 05:46:06 PM »
.....If the ruling junta had just gone from .018" to .021" lines when the Nelsons and Mark VII's kicked up the speed, they might have fended off the final coupe de grace in the form of flyaway shutoffs......

Just to set things straight,  I've used .021's for quite awhile.  They don't seem to do much for cutaways.  Shortly after starting using them I had a plane on .021's cutaway by a plane on .018's.  It took about a tenth of a second, half a loop. Cutaways usually seem to happen when one set of lines slides along the others at one spot.  021's do hold up a bit better in a line tangle.
phil Cartier

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2010, 10:50:51 PM »
Just a comment... by my count there are less than 60 guys in the entire country flying F2D... maybe less than 40.  I am not sure that a rule change that uses basically the same equipment as F2D will do much to revive the AMA event since there are only 60 possible participants to pull from.   Heck if 10% of them come to the NATS that will be 6 flyers...  But that said it will not kill it either (as its already on its deathbed) and may result in greater numbers flying both events someday in the future. 
Bob

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2010, 09:25:07 AM »
60 guys flying a two-plane-match FAI event is quite a BIG number. It's a lot more than F2A, F2B, F2C, and F4B combined, and you could throw in the whole navy Carrier category to boot.

There were 37 contestants at the 2009 F2D TT in Detroit.  In addition, there were at least a dozen workers and pit men on site who actively fly the event, but didn't chose to go out for the team. 

If somebody new wants to get into F2D, he can buy in from his computer.  The current Fast event? Good luck.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2010, 11:00:39 PM »
Actually over the past 3-4 years I have purchased 4 Fox Combat engines all for less than $75 each.  Two MKIII, one MKIV and one MKVI ABC all new or very close to new off Ebay... and built a dozen foamy's.   There are Fox engines available every week.   So getting equipment isnt all that hard... finding someone interested in flying is another story.   
Good luck on this though... but again I do not see any improvement in getting participation when a beginner will have to shell out over $1000 for equipment to complete.... I have a daughter in college, a mortgage to pay, three cars to keep running and a $50K job to try and cover all that...
I'm sticking with speed limited... and hoping that doesnt become an official event as every time an event is added to the AMA rule book it seems to put it on the endangered species list....
Bob

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2010, 12:12:02 PM »
So true Bob,  every time I see an event go national it goes to pot.   Like Big Goodyear,  I think the only reason it is dieing is we are getting to old.  Look at where Scale Race is at now, even on 10% fuel for all racing except Mouse.  I too like the idea of Speed Limit Combat, but it is hard to be a gentleman after the years of AMA combat.  Ask Marvin about our mid airs as well as Jeff.  It is so hard to fly level and take little snips at the streamer.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2010, 05:59:28 PM »
Getting old Foxes so you can enter Fast Combat and take beating is no big thing.

If you want to have a chance to win a match, get some Nelsons.
Paul Smith

Offline Bob Furr

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 11:44:23 PM »
I shouldnt let myself be baited... but again I am using the Fox's to fly speed limited were they work very well.  Good luck on your proposal. 
Bob

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here