News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:55:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2011 F2D Team Trials  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
2011 F2D Team Trials
« on: February 16, 2011, 05:48:29 AM »
The 2011 Team Trials for the 2012 World Championships in Bulgaria will be held at Rouge Park in Detroit, Michigan, Labor Day weekend.

I am the Contest Director.  I would appreciate hearing from everyone who intends to compete as soon as you make that decision.  Some people think there's a competitive advantage in waiting until the last minute to enter.  But I would like to have an idea of the entry level ASAP to better plan the contest.  Also, I would like to consider the opinions of the actual contestants.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:06:16 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
Re: 2011 F2D Team Trials
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 10:59:14 AM »
Just a reminder.

The entry deadline (without penalty) is August 12, received at AMA HQ in Muncie.
$25 to become a Program Participant, $100 more to fly.  A further $100 if you pay after the deadline. 

We have eight entries in hand as of now.  Please do the program a favor and send in that entry so we know how big a contest to plan.

We are using the current FAI rules and approved in April of 2010 and effective January 1, 2011.  Only one equipment change: 6 mm mufflers in lieu of the old 8 mm.  There are plenty available to buy, or just choke down your old ones.  Also, there has been a complete (and much-needed) rewrite of the rules.  The document is smaller and there's a lot less slack.  I'm sure that all serious world class competitors have been using these rules all season.

AMA should have sent a 5-page mailing to all 56 Program Participants by now.  I submitted it to AMA at the end of Nats week.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 09:59:34 AM »
We are down to the last week for advance entries.  Send it in to AMA !

We have been invited to use the Signal Seekers RC field as an extra practice venue on Thursday and Friday.  A good place to flight test all your toys on local air & contest fuel.  Maybe tie on the streamer for a light workout.  No stickin', just nickin'.

The field is 5 miles south and 5 miles east of the contest site. Go south on Telegraph Road to Michigan Avenue.  It's in the middle of a big (maybe a mile sqaure) community use area on the south side of Michigan Avenue.  Enter off Henrt ruff Road. 
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 07:29:54 AM »
Lodging for the TT.

The site is on the western edge of the city of Detroit.  Thus, for those who drive in via I-94, you will only be coming about a half-mile into the city.  On your way into the area, you will pass Wayne County Metro Airport (our main airport) about 12.5 miles before you get to the field.  

There are plenty of big name hotels around the airport.  Also, the Signal Seekers RC field (our secondary practice site) is only about 3 miles due north of the airport.

There are plenty of mid-range local motels within 2-3 miles of the field on Telegraph Highway.  But most people decide to spend more money and rive a little farther to stay in a more secure area near the airport or in Dearborn.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:03:44 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 12:27:07 PM »
As of now, Friday, August 12, we have 21 entries in hand.

The book is not quite closed. I will ask for a final count Monday afternoon.

You can still fone it in today and save the late fee.
Paul Smith

Offline KEITH McCRARY

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 10:26:02 PM »
Here is the location of the Signal Seekers Field. You guys are welcome to come out. It is reserved for you all day Friday.

http://webspace.webring.com/people/jm/michsignalseekers/zones.html

http://classic.mapquest.com/mq/10-9HMlvGAw

Keith McCrary

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 06:57:17 PM »
As of Friday night, things are running well.

We had the pre-contest meeting, drawing of the first three rounds and discussion without incident.

The weather is fine except a bit hot, 95 to 98 degrees HOT.  

AMA bought us a new digital timer to use for match time.  It looks good and is readable in bright sun a long way away.

All 23 advance entrants showed up. plus one late, total 24.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 04:15:57 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 06:42:54 PM »
Saturday went very well.

We scheduled three rounds - 36 matches - and got it all done including four or five reflys for ties and  other issues.

Great weather, except a bit on the hot side, 94-to-98 degrees, but nobody keeled over.

We had lots of help including some of our inactive CL'ers come back from the past.

The triple-elim field got simmered down from 24 to 19.  The serious elimination begins tomorrow.

Tune in Sunday for more!!!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 04:17:18 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
2011 F2D Team Trials - Mission Accomplished !!!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 06:10:39 AM »
Alan DeVeuve 8-1
Andrey Nadien 7-1
Cary Minor 7-2

Alternate:  Josh Ellison 6-3

Second alternate(s), Rich von Lopez, Lou Scavone, Ed Brzys, Bob & Andy Mears.  4-3

Junior Awrd Winner - Rylan Ritch

NO official protests.  Nothing went to jury.  Just a few informal discussions with the judges.

Obviously, the final four was well ahead of the pack.  For those of you familiar with triple-elim, if Josh had won one more match we could still be out there using everybody's three chances.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:32:17 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 07:03:33 AM »
Congratulations team me.  mbers and alternates.  It sounds like Paul Smith and crew did a great job this year.  Thanks for pulling this one together.
John
John Paris

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 08:22:48 AM »
John, where were you, Grace, and Michael?

We were threatening Rylan that you might enter your kids and give him a run for it.

There's still F2B in Muncie.  The stunters need a Junior, too.

We had plenty of help.  Hard to believe, but in the Detroit area there a lot of people who LIKE TO JUDGE TEAM TRIALS.  It even surprises me.  Without listing names here, we had at least ten guys on the management team who flew pitted, and/or judged F2D World Championships.

Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 08:23:19 AM »
Looks like a good team.   Glad to local Cary Minor make it.  Was hoping his brother would doit too.  Have watched the two of them practice a lot.   Well Andy will make a terrific mechanic.   Go team USA. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 06:17:41 PM »
John?

Were you on the 1978 team as an F2C mechanic?  Pitcher might be you.

There were four family teams.  Better to settle for one & not get greedy.  When you're hot you're hot.  When you're not you're not.  Cary was HOT.  Andy was not.

This was a mellow TT.  No protests.  Nobody threatened to quit.  I might fly in 2013.  Just to show 'em I kin.  Unless I forget.
Paul Smith

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 10:43:24 PM »
Paul,
We are currently hanging out in Korea and could not make it to the event.  Not sure if Grace would have qualified for the Jr. spot as she will be 19 by the time the Worlds come around next year.  Michael still only has one flight with a slow combat airplane and has only gone 2-up in the racing circles.  Maybe next time around....

I did check in with Jim Morway and heard a story about his poodle, some combat pilots and crew and mystery Tootsie Rolls near their airplanes.  He said it was good to touch base with some of the guys.  We made it down there at about the same time a couple of years ago when I was on my way to Chicago to fly at Aurora.

No serious combat action here that I have seen, but I have seen a couple of twin boom airplanes in the stunt pits for display.  I am sure that they would appreciate a good F2D ship flight to get the juices flowing again though.

John
John Paris

Offline Paul Smith

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 08:35:56 AM »
John, you could order up some Russian stuff, sell it to the Koreans, organize a TSC, and be their team manager in Bulgaria.  You can do it.  You have the technology.  On second thought, since you've never flown for tbe US, YOU could fly for Korea yourself.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here

Advertise Here