News:

• April 26, 2024, 10:24:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A question  (Read 1439 times)

Offline dankar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
1/2A question
« on: November 03, 2011, 11:13:54 AM »
I have two planes set up for Td .049/.051/ with Kirncraft nva's and fine. Recieved two GRS Mini Ande for my Fora .06. Have any of you used the Fora in a GRS plane and he use to offer mounts. I would say they were angled. the Fora is direct rear exhaust. I was going to use a Norvell .061 but hear nva isn't good for bladder.  George sold these for years but he is not repling to emails. Wow big surprise. Hate to be a pain but just about have what I need for rest of my fleet. Nobody seems to have any info on Fora. I just plans on fun flying with these until I get Cyclon's. Send p/m please. I contacted about Sonic Chicken but he has no Fora's .
Cheers,Dan

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: 1/2A question
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 01:57:18 PM »
Dan, sorry i do not know about the Fora's or the GRS planes,but, i do run 3 Norvel .061 on combat planes with bladders without a lot of problems. Sometimes they need a good air blast thru the spraybar to clear them out from sitting. I would use the thinnest wall bladder material you can find. Good luck , Ray
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 06:28:41 PM »
            Dan, you might be able to contact Alberto from Hobby Club. They sell the Profi as well which has a similar exhaust style. I believe the Fora, Profi, Cyclon share the same mount. If I understand your needs correctly, you need a radial to beam mount. I was fortunate enough for a friend to lend me one just recently. I'm currently in the process of trying to have a few more machined . I do have a local friend who does cnc work who hasn't seen my current mount but is willing to copy them. We haven't settled on a price yet. By no means is this going to be a few dollar item. Prior to George's site going down I had contacted him in regards to your identical purchases. I sent him my address but I believe at the time he also went through some computer problems and either couldn't respond or my address was lost all together. He told me at the time he may have only one mount. He would have to look as he wasn't absolutely sure. Needless to say I wasn't able to make any purchases. Ken

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
Ken,
You pretty much hit nail on the head. Alberto at Hobby Club was good on my order but follow up  emails went noware. George did send email before and after purchase of planes. Then again nothing. The Profi available has angled exhaust but is radial mount only.  The Little Hacker looks like my engine would mount but its more a sport plane.
I know about thin wall tubing and so far has worked well.  I do have some Al. barstock and see if I can bend metal to shape. In the 90's bought mounts/ planes/ engines and everything fitted with no mods. Allen planes mounts/ Fox mk6's all droped in. Hardest thing were bladders with one way check valve and assembly that was find of fun. Also line clip to stop fuel line. Put bladder in pocket and used as water gun sometimes for fun.  Sometime when my friend digs out his engines i will have a new Cyclon .051.
Hope I can get mounts for it. I have two smaller 1/2A for TeeDee's and use them for now.
Dan

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 12:37:52 PM »
Looking at Mini Ande's I think these are for TD;s/ Norvel's as it is only a little bigger then a Chek model I have. Bigger yes but not much.  Thats OK as I have several TD's set-up with kirncraft nva's. At recent contest talked to a couple of combat flyers and seems like they had no interest in 1/2A at all.  The Fora .06 was offered for several years but nobody seems to have used one. Neat engine anyway.
Dan

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 04:56:19 PM »
             One thing I would be concerned with Dan is the amount of sq inches the wings are. The TD is also a very light engine.  I do enjoy the TD and I'm using one currently. Problems I've had are slightly harder starting than the Russian engines. TD's like a little heat in them initially so prior running helps a lot. I've found the stock 1702 head gives the most reliable starts and performance. I use 35% fuel and this is getting ever more expensive. I find it quite difficult to get reliable starts and needling on anything less than 25% nitro. If your just out to fly around the sky, then it is a totally different story. They do work though. I'm curious to know how it flies so keep us posted. I certainly was interested in the Mini Andres. I recently acquired a Profi and it rocks. Lots of rpm's and plenty of power flying a Brodak Gladiator with authority. The Gladiator is a nice flyer once your untwist it and trim it out. As is the plane is quite tail heavy. A fellow flyer has lent me a mount until I can get some made, it places the Profi about 3" off of the motor mount area. My Czech bird balances perfectly with a VA mkII which I believe is the lightest of the bunch.

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 01:11:47 PM »
Ken,
Thanks for your input. I was temped to get a Profi but again mounts are radial. I think I will make due with TD's and Norvel for now. My Fora is much bigger than the TD's and sure balance will be an issue.  My friend hurt his back in a bad way , but has three new Cyclon's and willing to part with a .051. Problem he has to dig them out and right now he is not up to it. Cyclons need special mount also but worry about that later.  Anyway its all good and sooner or later I will get what i need.  H^^

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 10:29:16 AM »
Well my friend sent me an Christnmas gift. A brandy new Cyclon .049.   Quite blown away by this and wonderful surprise.  Anyway neat stuff.  Now later need to find way to make mounts for this and the Fora but have enough to get airbourne.
Dan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here