News:

• May 04, 2024, 10:00:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WTB: Aero Gloss Black Dope  (Read 1397 times)

Offline John Lindberg

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
WTB: Aero Gloss Black Dope
« on: March 12, 2021, 08:14:53 AM »
WTB: Can (bottle) of Aero Gloss black dope (or whatever it is). Just for my information, what is the composition of Aero Gloss? It is not the same as Butyrate dope, is it?

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: WTB: Aero Gloss Black Dope
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 12:35:14 PM »
  The old saying was, I think, that you could put anything over Aero Gloss but you can't put Aero Gloss over anything else. Or something to that effect. I read in a magazine once where some one had their thinner analyzed and found that it had 14 different solvents in it. If you have some old thinner it's great for cleaning brushes!  Testing on a sample is the SOP for this.

I have accumulated a lot of old stuff over the years and have provided Aero Gloss to guys restoring older models and needing original stuff for the compatibility issue. I'm working in my garage clearing out and cleaning up and will see what I have in black. I'll get back to you ASAP.

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 05:51:23 AM »
Wouldn't that be about 40-50 year old paint?

It lasts a long time. In the late 1990s I found two cans of Aero Gloss cub yellow that were purchased in the late 50s by my Dad. I used both cans on an rc ship. No problems.
Bill P.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2021, 09:15:25 AM »
I have some over 50-year old Aero Gloss in several colors.  It still works great and is almost as fuel proof as epoxy.

I've thinned it with regular Home Depot lacquer thinner with no problems. 

Back in the day I could do a multi-color Aero Gloss paint job with a brush.  No problem.  The base color did not soften & mix with the later colors.  You can't do that with Randolph or Brodak dope.  That forced me into air brushing.
Paul Smith

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 04:33:58 PM »
Black Aero Gloss has a unique smell.  I liked the smell, because it meant that my airplane was almost ready to fly. It was the last color to go on, often in the car on the way to a contest. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 05:57:16 PM »
Aero Gloss was about the only finishing product any of the gang in my home town used.  Way back in the 60s it was in every hobby shop and the last time I used it was in the 70s.  It had pretty good fuel resistance, from what I remember.  Much better fuel resistance than today's dope.

I wonder if Aero Gloss was truly dope.  That is, of the same chemical formulation of butyrate dope.  Today's butyrate products have such little fuel resistance it is quite a stretch to call them fuel proof.  I wonder if the EPA had anything to do with this.  Making a product more environmentally friendly might have resulted in less fuel resistance.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here