News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:40:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WTB: 3 Blade prop  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
WTB: 3 Blade prop
« on: April 23, 2020, 03:35:06 PM »
Hi all, I have scoured the net for an 11 x 4, 3 blade prop and every time I find one it is unavailable/out of stock.

I am a novice so I don't really want to go to the expense of an Eather or Xoar prop yet. Though I may have to.

Does anyone have a line on an 11 x 4 or 5. Or a 12 x 5 or 6?
Any help gratefully appreciated.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Doug Moisuk

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
Re: WTB: 3 Blade prop
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 05:47:53 PM »
Have you called Randy Smith?
And you can to some extend shorten props and change there pitch.
Doug Moisuk
MAAC 3360L

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 06:52:03 PM »
Hey Doug,
thanks for the reply. I haven't tried Randy as I thought he only had carbon fiber props, at least in 3 blade. I don't really want to spend that sort of money yet.

Yes I asked about the 12 inch props with the thought of cuting them down.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 08:01:17 PM »
Skill level not there brother.
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 09:02:19 PM »

I am a novice so I don't really want to go to the expense of an Eather or Xoar prop yet. Though I may have to.

Craig

Good luck finding a Zoar 3-blade prop.  Yes, they list them in all diameters and pitches.  As far as I know, no one here in the States stocks them and Zoar does not have a bin full of 3- blade props, at least in the size we could use.  It will take a special order, if they take it, at a huge per copy cost and huge shipping.

Keith

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 09:45:12 PM »
Hi all, I have scoured the net for an 11 x 4, 3 blade prop and every time I find one it is unavailable/out of stock.

what motor are they going on

Craig
rad racer

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 10:17:36 PM »
   The poor boy's way to experiment with 3 blade props is Master Airscrew. I don't have the listing in front of me, but I know they make a 10-5 (which was solicited by some one that used to be here on the list but has passed away.) It works well on the .40 size engines I have tried it on. My other experience with them is their 12-6. Master Airscrew props are generally an inch less pitch than indicated on a Prather pitch gauge, because they use some other criteria for measuring pitch. I have used these on ST.51's with some good results, and they can be easily repitched if you have access to a pitch gauge, and they hold the setting in the sun. Prices are reasonable also. I think you are from WAY down south in Australia?  They should be available locally also I would think. Something to think about and consider.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 10:35:42 PM »
Hey Dan thanks for that.
I have an 11 x 6 Master Airscrew on the way.

I have also sent Brian Eather an email for a 12 x 3.75. If he is still operating.

Motorman/Bob, it is going into an LA46 which is going into a Bob Palmer Hurricane. I want it for the scale look.

Thank you
Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 11:08:48 PM »
Ty, I knew the prototypes had 2 blade.

I just checked and yes there is a museum in England with a MK1 that has a 2 blade and is in camo colours.

I think they look better with the 3 blade.
Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline John Lindberg

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 08:00:55 AM »
Did you try Steve Wilk? He is on the vendors page of Stunt Hangar, you can cut down a 12x4.25 3-blade. D>K

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 10:26:01 AM »
There is absolutely nothing wrong with:
Hobbyking Turnigy series
 Or Master AirScrew

both have something close

All Propellers can be reduced in diameter BTW
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 11:42:25 AM »
Make one out of 2 wood props.

Motorman 8)

Making your own 3-blade props is kind of tricky.  You need some way to bind the 3 blades at the hub with locking rings machined into front and back plates on the prop and then bolted together.  Or, do as Xoar does is to groove the hub of each blade to go over a center metal plate (aluminum) and then pin each blade to that plate hub.  Need close tolerances, good epoxy, and a jig fixture to keep everything properly located.  Without locking the blades together, a blade will fly off at any RPM possibly causing serious injury (like an eye) and a catastrophic disturbance to the nose compartment.

Keith

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2020, 11:44:18 AM »

I sent a message to Zoar about an 11-4, we'll see if they step up. What are you going to use it on?

Motorman 8)

Please let us know about the response you get from Xoar on any 3-blade 11-4 prop.

Keith

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 05:20:25 PM »
John, I will look up Steve and see what he has to say.

Fred, yes, I knew I could get close, but, there were also places that had what I wanted but were all out of stock.
I thought I would try here if anybody had one they wanted to sell.
I am happy to try cutting a prop down but for me to re pitch? Firstly a pitch gauge, about $70+ US, with delivery $150 Australian then I have to learn how to use it.

Keith, me making a propeller was never going to happen.
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 06:10:04 PM »
Some adds to Keith's "how to" :
-when you want to put together  stock 2-blade props, the very first step is to select 3-3 pieces at SAME weight. (specific weight of wood can differ, and nobody wants to make intentionally unbalanced props).  3 pieces will give out 2 pcs of 3-blade ones.
-use exclusively 24 hours unfilled (transparent) epoxy
-do not forget to use hair dryer (not heatgun) to make the epoxy less viscous, and deeply penetrate into the wood by glueing together.

Istvan ( I have several pieces made of Xoar 13x6 electric, cut down to 12. It is perfect with MOKI-51 or ST-60... )

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2020, 07:02:10 PM »
Istavan, thank you. But to be clear I do not have the skill level or equipment to make a prop.

This post is in the classified section so I am looking to buy an 11x4, 12x4, 11x5 or 12x5 3 blade prop. Just to get back on track.

I am very appreciative of all inputs.
Thank you

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 08:50:33 PM »
Some adds to Keith's "how to" :

-use exclusively 24 hours unfilled (transparent) epoxy
-do not forget to use hair dryer (not heatgun) to make the epoxy less viscous, and deeply penetrate into the wood by glueing together.

Istvan ( I have several pieces made of Xoar 13x6 electric, cut down to 12. It is perfect with MOKI-51 or ST-60... )

Yes, this is in the classified section, but---

If you assemble three blades just using epoxy without a positive way to pin or lock the hubs together, disaster is about to happen.  Do not run that prop with anybody standing nearby or yourself in the near proximity of it.  In other words, do not run it.

Keith

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2020, 05:55:58 AM »

Craig

Craig, PM sent.  May be able to help with props and I'm quite a bit closer to you. 

HH

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2020, 09:16:59 AM »
I have several you desire but you hate me

hobby king has these for under 7 bucks

Turnigy Beech Wood 3-Blade Propeller 12x5 (1pc)
SKU: 9125000001-0

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2020, 10:09:23 AM »
Fred,
I wondered if you would remember. I think you forgot yourself there for a moment.

But, I am never ungrateful. As stated I am a novice and I thought Turnigy was all electric so I didn't look at them, I have learnt something, thank you very much and an excellent price.

It gets even better. They are in the Australian warehouse so delivery is only $8 Australian not the normal $42 minimum I have to pay when it comes from the US.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2020, 11:45:34 AM »
Just wondering how you know this? Isn't the glue joint always stronger than the wood?

Motorman 8)

Walt,

You asked how I know that just joining three propeller blades with epoxy on the butt joints is not a good idea.  I tried this once many years ago.  On the first run, a blade flew off.  Luckily, it did not hit anyone and the engine shut down before too much damage was done to the nose.

Yes, epoxy is strong stuff, but it does not penetrate the hard wood of a propeller hub well to make a joint strong enough to withstand the stress and vibration that is experienced at the hub.

I apologize for getting into this in the classified section of this site.  However, several have suggested to make 3-blade props.  This is not a good idea unless there is a strong/positive method to pin or lock the blades together.

Keith

Offline Istvan Travnik

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2020, 01:21:27 PM »
Keith,
Yes, there is no doubt, it is a must to use some kind of locking, anyway.

Istvan
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 02:46:15 PM by Istvan Travnik »

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2020, 07:17:09 PM »
Hello all and in particular Keith.
I thought I should let you know I contacted Xoar and got a response!

They are still making 10x4, 10x5, 11x4 and 11x5 3 blade props. Actually, I think they still make the range, but don't quote me on that.

I had a response from Paul Baez and he can be contacted directly at
paulb@xoarintl.com
If you wish to place an order.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2020, 10:16:42 PM »
   Last summer I was wanting to buy some left hand and right hand 9-4 and 9-5 props. In looking around at what was available, I wound up on the Xoar web site in Japan.  They had what I wanted in an IC prop in their listing ( as a gas powered quad copter prop, I believe,) and I was guided to a couple of US importers, large R/C hobby shops, that could put them on one of their orders, and then I would buy them from the importers through eBay. It took a while for things to crank through their system, but I ended up with what I wanted and didn't have to pay any excess fees or shipping. I'll back track and see if I can find out who that was. If you have the Xoar part numbers, that would make it easier to go that route. I was working with a woman in Japan who was a member of the Xoar family to get this initiated. Anyone interested could probably do it in a similar fashion if you can deal with the time it would take. i would be interested in a few of each size just to play with. I'll round up information and check back in tomorrow sometime.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2020, 08:06:36 AM »
Hello all and in particular Keith.
I thought I should let you know I contacted Xoar and got a response!

They are still making 10x4, 10x5, 11x4 and 11x5 3 blade props. Actually, I think they still make the range, but don't quote me on that.

I had a response from Paul Baez and he can be contacted directly at
paulb@xoarintl.com
If you wish to place an order.

Craig

I have a bunch of XOAR props, never used.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2020, 08:40:48 AM »
   I back tracked my emails and found that I was communicating with Rebecca Xoar, who went by the name Rebi, when I was emailing with the factory. She sent me this link to importers in the USA and probably for other countries also;

https://www.xoarintl.com/where-to-buy/

Using that link I checked into who would be able to make the order for me, and I chose an eBay store called rchobbysolutions. I believe they are out in California or the west coast somewhere. They were very helpful and great to work with. The whole transaction went well and since I had not even started to draw plans for the model yet, the wait was almost un-noticable. The Xoar website is quite complex and a bit difficult to navigate but they have a huge amount of offerings if you can just take the time to go through it and sort things out.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2020, 02:31:19 PM »
Dan,
that is the same site I was on. I got a response, which I replied to but have had nothing further.

Just sent another contact message. Can be issues with time difference for me.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2020, 04:09:04 PM »
To anyone interested I have had a response from Xoar.

3 blade Beech wood props. PJI11X4 is $50.99 and the PJI10X4 is $45.99

To all those who contributed thank you. I have a number of 3 blades, in various sizes, on the way. Master Airscrew, Turnigy, Xoar and Brian Eather.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2020, 04:36:40 PM »
I have 1 or 2 new Master Airscrew 10x7 3 blade props. But they are kind of useless for our type of flying.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2020, 05:32:45 PM »
I have 1 or 2 new Master Airscrew 10x7 3 blade props. But they are kind of useless for our type of flying.

Hi James;
  If you were to check those on a Prather Pitch Gauge, you would find that they are actually a 6 inch pitch. And they can be easily re-pitched using a heat gun or the boiling water trick. That requires a pitch gauge also, but if you fly a lot of stunt and experiment with props to any extent, you should have one anyway. It takes some practice to get the hang of it but well worth the time spent.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2020, 06:08:45 PM »
  Hi James;
  If you were to check those on a Prather Pitch Gauge, you would find that they are actually a 6 inch pitch. And they can be easily re-pitched using a heat gun or the boiling water trick. That requires a pitch gauge also, but if you fly a lot of stunt and experiment with props to any extent, you should have one anyway. It takes some practice to get the hang of it but well worth the time spent.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
I have one.  Sadly half the numbers are gone on it :(. Probably why I got it so cheap lol

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2020, 02:31:48 PM »
To those interested and Motorman you are absolutely right!

My final dealing with Xoar ended with a $50US delivery fee from China! As Motormans link indicates delivery is $20. That, to me, is expensive!

Brian Eather charges $40Australian for a hand made carbon fiber prop. I think I will head that way.

Craig
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2020, 04:15:24 PM »
  Hi Craig;
   Just to take this a step further, check in with that eBay store, rchobbysolutions that I mentioned, and see if they can put special order props on their order. That is what I did with the props I wanted.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2020, 07:58:16 AM »
surprised a couple of the private prop makers are silent...perhaps the o seas shipping grief

no going to bust them out here but in America we have several prop makers it nearly all sizes

Fred von Gortler IV

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2020, 08:38:57 AM »

All Propellers can be reduced in diameter BTW
[/quote]

I cut it off three times and it is still too short!  LL~ LL~ LL~

Jerry