News:

• May 02, 2024, 03:35:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WANTED! ST.60 Light Case Engine Core WITH Muffler Lugs  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
WANTED! ST.60 Light Case Engine Core WITH Muffler Lugs
« on: February 12, 2021, 10:37:32 AM »

I have a Brian Gardner ABC piston/liner set for the ST.60 that I would like to try but need a good core to put it in. I have several other ST.60's in the stash without muffler lugs, but I believe that Brian said that he based this set on the later version with muffler lugs. The other ST.60's I have in my stash have already been re-worked by Tom Lay or are stock, new in box and I don't want to take those apart just to try this set out.  So if you have a good core that is complete but has a worn out piston, liner, broken rod or some other reason that it can't be run BUT does have muffler lugs, drop me a line. It needs to have a good head, crank, back plate, prop drive washer/assembly. I have everything else.  I'm going through stuff to clean up, clear out and organize things so probably have something to trade or swap. Whatcha got or whatcha need?

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Manuel Cortes

• Commander
Re: WANTED! ST.60 Light Case Engine Core WITH Muffler Lugs
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 10:52:23 PM »
Hi Dan and all.

I am in the process of build two Gardner ABC ST60 using the latest K version (the one with concave head top). At least in the two I am using is necessary to lap the external surface of the liner because is not possible to mount them in cold.
The project is temporaly delayed building the nylon insert to fit the sleeves in the lathe to make de right adjustement.

I don´t know if the fit with the older cases will be betteer....

Just for your info.

Kind regards form Spain.

Manuel Cortés.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 02:53:37 AM »
  Hi Manuel;
    I know care needs to be taken with the stock cylinder liner, and the case needs to be heated to allow it to be installed. They are designed to have a tight fit to allow for proper heat transfer. I have an email into Brian Gardner to check with him on proper installation. I'm pretty sure of this bt want to double check with Brian.  I am still waiting on the proper case anyway.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 09:27:25 PM »
DEFINATELY HEAT THE CASE .

A heat gun is way best . Do a test - Just drop it in say 1/2 or 3/4 inch . case cleaned & oiled . Then check piston fit- from inside up through the case .

Them Bolts are 5-40 . for the hundredth time ! .  S?P

Clean the cases thoroughly . But Id hesitate to lap them out . But Id never carve down the liner O. D. . The Green 3 M pot scourers & disolve lacquer / carbon off .

Oil to fit liner to case , or anti sieze .

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 09:45:51 PM »
  Here is Brian's reply to my email;

"   Hi Dan,

The ST61 ABC set needs to be a neat slide in fit. Not a "heat the case" fit. Just like the LA46 and ST51.

It does sound like the LA46 just needed the extra running time. If they are a bit too tight it does hurt the power until they are run in so to speak.

Brian"

The others have worked well, so I will wait and see what the fit is like when I get the engine.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 10:41:26 PM »
Yes , youd want to be very carefull .

Oversaw, saw over, cracked the whip ,  :-\ well - offered moral support ,

Whikle a olde fart bored a Kieth Black Hemi block for new O S liners , took two days of daylight with his clamp on the deck face boring machine .

The Glad recipieants collected it monday . All the sleeves a lightish hand push fit in the alloy block . By thusday there was pandamonium .

All Assembled it wouldnt turn over . Probly the head bolts pulling things about .

Another weekend taking a few thou. out , so  the sleeves dropped freely and unobstructed .  %^@ Happy Campers , turned over fine .
Was the Ex ' BALOO ' NZ Nitro Burner , running methanol & Iron Heads , to hold the well used block inline . Aledged 1.000 horsepower .
And the record & championship in that class that season . Around 97 .  :(

So ' The Correct ' fit is important . But correct is where you need to get, for that set up .. talking %ages of a tou. I would think .

Probly exactly zero - for a thumb ' push fit ' . Cleaning the case bore thoroughly may well get it there .
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 05:04:45 PM by Air Ministry . »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here