News:

• May 01, 2024, 08:24:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Checking availability... Evolution .60 NX CL  (Read 729 times)

Offline Phil Hawkins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • 909 276 0283
Checking availability... Evolution .60 NX CL
« on: September 30, 2023, 03:27:17 PM »
I am looking to power a crash damaged Sig Magnum. I have not picked it up yet, but I have been told the engine bears are broke off and it will be best fixed with a firewall mount. I have a K&B .61 converted to stunt, it looks to have never been run. But it sure seems heavy to me. I am liking the idea of a .60 size engine in the case of a typical .46.

Does anyone out there have a Evolution 60 NX CL they are willing to part with? If so, please private message me, or if you have parts, other suggestions, or if you think the K&B is a good fit. I appreciate all and any help!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 05:27:46 PM by Phil Hawkins »

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Checking availability... Evolution .60 NX CL
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2023, 04:47:22 PM »
My engine summary table shows the Evo .60NX-CL weight at 12.7 oz, no muffler. The K&B .61 (#6151) at 14.24 oz for a difference of 1.54 oz. Your muffler choice could affect this significantly. For reference, the various ST.61's ranged from 11.29 to 12.45 according to Charlie Reeves measurements.

The K&B.61 I have seen actually used (not just "discussed") was flown on a FlopTite Score and was not optimized. It produced too much uncontrolled power. Likely a venturi change was needed. It also had a modified head done by someone who didn't do a very good job. Each of the Evo .60's I have seen could provide controlled power if set up right. They haven't impressed me as being very durable. And parts are hard to come by. If anyone has a piston and liner just sitting around, I'd like to know....

Dave
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 05:17:51 PM by Dave Hull »

Offline Phil Hawkins

• Commander
  • 909 276 0283
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2023, 05:35:19 PM »
My engine summary table shows the Evo .60NX-CL weight at 12.7 oz, no muffler. The K&B .61 (#6151) at 14.24 oz for a difference of 1.54 oz. Your muffler choice could affect this significantly. For reference, the various ST.61's ranged from 11.29 to 12.45 according to Charlie Reeves measurements.

The K&B.61 I have seen actually used (not just "discussed") was flown on a FlopTite Score and was not optimized. It produced too much uncontrolled power. Likely a venturi change was needed. It also had a modified head done by someone who didn't do a very good job. Each of the Evo .60's I have seen could provide controlled power if set up right. They haven't impressed me as being very durable. And parts are hard to come by. If anyone has a piston and liner just sitting around, I'd like to know....

Dave

THANK YOU DAVE!
This is the information I was really hoping for!
My understanding is the cylinder liner is different between the RC & CL versions. Not sure if just a piston swap would help? I am thinking of picking up an RC version and swapping everything into a CL case, them make a venturi. Again, for the plane it is going on, I am.not too concerned with a prime stunt running performer. My theory is to prop it down to maintain speed, line tension, etc... but a Tigre V60 might be a much easier way to go. 
I still would be interested in the Evo 60 though...

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2023, 07:24:56 PM »
The piston/liner set for the Evo .60NX-CL is EVO060203L. The number given for the .60NX-RC engine does not have the "L" suffix. I haven't seen the two side by side, so I don't know what the differences are. My guess would be that they raised the transfer ports in the CL engine. I have one that really runs well in a T-Rex on an RC mount.

If you had a good RC piston/liner it might be easier to modify those than chase after "unobtainium" CL parts? Depends on your resources....

On the other hand, as far as I can tell, all of the parts for the K&B #6151 are currently available from MECOA. When I ordered a head and some gaskets for one a while back the mailman happily delivered them a couple of days later.

In the second picture I have both an Evo .60 and a K&B on the bench at the same time. Just a coincidence....

I suppose it goes without saying that if you are repairing the nose that has broken engine bearers and intend to use a bolt-on RC mount be sure you beef up the firewall. I've worked on a couple of planes where that was done. Also, keep in mind the relationship between the centerline height of the tank and the needle valve. Two separate "nose jobs" that I inherited were essentially unworkable since you couldn't fly the plane upside down. Both required either moving the RC mount again or cutting into the fuse to fix the tank setup.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 08:02:40 PM by Dave Hull »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here