Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Zing  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Sheldon Hartwell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Zing
« on: January 18, 2013, 05:22:24 PM »
Hey guys,
     My dad gave me this model after it had been flown , and crashed, and I would like to restore it  He told me that it was orginally called the Zing. It had a hollow log fuselage and a very thin airfoil. The original source of power was an O & R ,23. The aproximate wingspan was about 23" to 24" . It wasn't made for speed, but it can't do aerobatics; it was made to go fast. I hope that maybe someone can give me some kind of input on this model.Thanks again guys.

Sheldon

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Zing
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 05:45:10 PM »
The old firm of Carl Goldberg Models kitted the Zing for several years in the early 1950s.  Span was 23".  It was a speedy little Sport model.  Check some ads in Air Trails and MAN if you have any late '40s/early '50s issues.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 06:29:34 AM »
AMA Plans Service list the ZING as plan #23658. The source is American Hobby Specialties, C Goldberg.  

Edited to fortify the facts.

From Carl's bio that appears in the Hall of Fame section of the forum:

"Carl, with Mike Schlesinger and Sid Axelrod, started American Hobby Specialties in 1945. The main product was gas model propellers called Top Flite and Power Prop. After a while the namewas changed to Top Flite Models. "

Another part of the bio identifies the "Zing" as a Carl Goldberg Design.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 12:33:59 PM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 07:39:01 PM »
  I think I have bits and pieces of one also, maybe a ragged plan somewhere. It is a decent looking airplane, and was an answer to the Fireball, I believe. It didn't have an elevater, just a flap on the wing, to make it different and avoid the Walker patent rights, in my opinion. Probably not the best performing or best known model, but an important piece of model aviation history and the foundation of control line.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here