News:

• May 09, 2024, 10:29:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Your favorite time period  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Your favorite time period
« on: July 31, 2009, 04:11:11 PM »
This just came to me so I figured why not.  You're allowed to vote for your favorite 2 eras of time.  For you palientoligists, Dinosaurs had to be left out LL~ .

Thought this might be fun H^^
Matt Colan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Your favorite time period
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 07:52:35 AM »
To tell you the truth I like all the designs that have came out since I started this hobby/sport.  But, I would need a place like Kemper Arena to store them.  Guess that is why I had so many kits of what I could afford.  Worked a lot of overtime to get them.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 11:21:52 AM »
When I was young!!
David Roland

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 01:04:15 PM »
For this old guy, the '40s were the most exciting.  Each new plane was an adventure.  Would it fly?  And would it survive?  Aerodynamics were crude, and motors were balky and unreliable.  So each trip to the flying field was a real adventure!  No two models looked similar, and experimentation was the norm.  In our club, the guys who could actually do a loop or fly inverted without crashing were the heros!  The so-called "stunt kits" were typically overweight and with high wing loading, leading to people trying new designs to overcome the disadvantage that "kits" offered.

Perhaps memory mellows with age, but it seemed more exciting in those days.

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 04:16:22 PM »
Matt,

Well, I suspect that each of use has fond memories from when we first started flying or first learned the pattern or whatever. For me it was from about 1968 to about 1974. Really wish Classic went to about 1972. But that's me. I first started scratch building airplanes in this era (I didn't even know there was such a thing as a "kit" until much later).
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 07:25:22 PM »
1950-1955.  Makes me an official Geezer, I guess.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 08:03:51 PM »
65 to 75 C/L
55 -75 motorcycles . particularly T-100s and 61 T 120s

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 12:28:32 PM »
61-65 was my favorite time. Goldberg kits coming out/ Ambroid started making kits/ Stuka/ Ares/ other sport ships/ TD's came out/ bought my RRI/ Space Hopper. Bought as many mags as posible. MAN/ American Aircraft modeler/ etc. Veco had engines/ kits/ tanks/wheels. Testors dope/ Areo Gloss/ Ambroid glue/ Elmer's white glue for motor mounts. I flew UC/FF and bought a radio rig but never bought the trasmitter for it. cost to much. Jetx stuff was easy to get. Fuel had castor oil and found out to add Baker's AA  castor to fuel. Kit boxes had great graffics on them.
Cheers,Dan

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 05:15:10 PM »
We all have fond memories of days spent flying with friends back in the day. We used to drive out onto the grass at the school yard. Our girl friends would spread out a blanket while we would set up the pits, run out the lines, fly and such. Sometimes we would have a picnic basket to nibble at, other times one of us would make a run to In and Out for arguably the best burgers and fries ever.

I find it so different from today, we'd spend at least half a day this way, then pack up, drop off the girls, clean up, and get ready to take them out Saturday night. Sundays we sometimes flew again in the morning, or would drive up into the mountains, or down to the beach. Surfing or Hiking, we sure enjoyed a lot of activity. The girls seemed to enjoy it as much as we did. They managed to put up with us, and our toys.  I was never married to one who would do so, perhaps that's why none of them lasted.

Still, with all of that. Now is the greatest time for the hobby for me. I may not be as strong, or quick. My reflexes may have slowed some. but I'm doing more with my hobby than I ever could back in the day.

I've learned a lot from some very good friends. I can design and draw my own planes, with reasonable expectations that they will not be a POS, because of what I've learned. I can still build, trim, paint and fly. I have the time now to do a lot more than I could in the past.

All in all, I'm in the Golden years of stunt.

Thank you all, my friends for sharing it all with me over the years.

Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 07:51:35 PM »
Hi John. Like the old saying goes, "nostalgia ain't what it used to be". LL~

We can never know about the days to come
But we think about them anyway
And I wonder if I'm really with you now
Or just chasing after some finer day.

Anticipation, Anticipation
Is making me late
Is keeping me waiting

And tomorrow we might not be together
I'm no prophet, I don't know natures way
So I'll try to see into your eyes right now
And stay right here, 'cause these are the good old days.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 08:22:20 AM »
Cold hearted orb rules the night
and steals the colors from our sight
red is gray and yellow white
and who's to say which is right.......
and which is an illusion

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 05:43:06 AM »
John,

I remember the first day I saw a large .35 size model airplane fly.  I was at a park in our little city (Modesto, CA) called Breard Brook park.  Two gentleman were flying, one of which worked with my father.  I was like a kid in a candy store watching as they practiced the stunt pattern of the time.  That was when WAM was using the in-between pattern before George changed it to the current pattern.  Anyway, after all was said and done.  I was the proud owner of a .35 size model built by my dad's co-worker called the "Pegasus".  It was a plane that pretty much dominated stunt in those days of WAM in the hands of the other person flying with my dad's co-worker.  Not that anyone's too interested but his name was Bob Raffel.  From the time I first saw that plane around May of 1956, I was hooked on model planes of the stunt variety.  My first self build airplane was a Smoothie that was a Christmas present in Dec 1957.  I flew that plane during the 1958-59 seasons.  I would bum rides to contest with another young flyer, Dan Cockrum and his father.  I rode to a contest in Selma with them in August of 1958, and that's where I first watched Bob Palmer fly.  When he flew, there would be a gathering of spectators to watch the master ply his trade. Anyway Bob won that day.

Good old classic nostalgia.....those were good days, I never had to go further than 90-100 miles to get to a contest on any weekend in those days!

Jim Pollock    Z@@ZZZ  Hey! Wake up Jim, you have been dreaming again!   %^@

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here