News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:16:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Worth NASA 1 and Werwage Super Ares  (Read 3334 times)

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Worth NASA 1 and Werwage Super Ares
« on: December 01, 2006, 06:27:32 AM »
Charlie Reeves sent me these from his photo book.  Enjoy them.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Worth NASA 1 and Werwage Super Ares
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 08:44:41 PM »
Bob Hunt notes that the plane is called Apterix. I wish there were a set of plans available. I'd love to compare it to the USA-1.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 02:25:07 AM »
I wonder if that is the "blue" or "red" paint scheme on the Super Ares? 

(Clip)

Bill <><

I have a color photograph of the 68 Nats Super Ares.  The model is basically a very dark red.  The leading edges are either a very dark blue or black.  The light flashes near the fuselage are white.  The bars behind the dark leading edges which are only barely discernable in the B&W photo above are a medium blue with perhaps a bit of gray added.  The pin stripes around the medium blue bars is orange.

The thin stripes around the Ares name and his AMA number vary from orange to the medium blue used on those bars behind the leading edges.

Keith Trostle
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 01:35:44 PM by Trostle »

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 10:02:13 AM »
Thanks, Keith!

Billy told me years ago that he repainted the Super Ares that he was using for contests.  I can't remember exactly, but I *think* it was blue first and then redone to red.  Both paint schemes were basically the same.  Trim colors have always been difficult to make out in pictures!

Thanks, again.
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 01:16:39 PM »
In the picture of the Super Ares, is that Jerry Worth's plane in front? If so, it is quite a bit different that the USA-1. Looks like it might not be an I-beam and look at those wing tips. Hmmm.....
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 09:21:34 PM »
In the picture of the Super Ares, is that Jerry Worth's plane in front? If so, it is quite a bit different that the USA-1. Looks like it might not be an I-beam and look at those wing tips. Hmmm.....

Hi Randy,

It is, but I think there is an illusion taking place with the tool kit in the way, etc., since the orientation of the planes are the same in both pictures.   The phtographer just moved and took the other picture and the tips look different when the NASA-1 is in focus.  (you can see the nose of the Super Ares in the same position in the NASA-1 picture)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 12:18:31 AM »
I wonder if that is the "blue" or "red" paint scheme on the Super Ares? 

Last time I checked, Billy still had the two original Super Ares.
Bill <><

Bill,

With help from Steve Helmick, I have been able to post a picture of the Werwage Super Ares at the 68 Olathe Nats.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 06:45:18 AM by Robert Storick »

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 10:07:48 PM »
I think I want to build an Apertix.   ;D

The Formula S wouldn't be bad either.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 10:30:50 PM »
I have a set of plans for the Formula S that Mr. Kostecky made all the corrections to and signed them.  They were by way of Tood Lee, but I loaned them to Curt Wicker (WingWalk) who has them now.  There were some corrections since one of the Adamisin (sp) crew drew them "over the phone".  For one, the LG is longer on the real plane and, also, the rear of the fuselage (top view) is thinner behind the wing than the plans show......

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 10:34:20 PM »
Gee, Bill, where can I get a set of those? I think I have the Flying Models version that I've had since I was in high school. Pretty yellowed with tatered edges, but still usable.  :)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 06:04:36 AM »
I have a set of plans for the Formula S that Mr. Kostecky made all the corrections to and signed them.  They were by way of Tood Lee, but I loaned them to Kirk Wicker (WingWalk) who has them now.  There were some corrections since one of the Adamisin (sp) crew drew them "over the phone".  For one, the LG is longer on the real plane and, also, the rear of the fuselage (top view) is thinner behind the wing than the plans show......

Bill <><

Bill,

Want me to send some "boys" over to Kirk's place and rescue those plans?  ~~>

I'll see what I can do to help you.

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 07:28:28 AM »
I also have a set of "corrected" and signed plans from Jim Kostecky. Aside from the fuselage top view adjustment there are a few other changes. The cowl shape is a bit different and the landing gear length is a bit longer.

I met Jim at the 1969 Nats and instantly liked him. He was a warm, fun loving person who was always full of mischief. Never a dull moment with Jim. We became very good friends over the years and when I was with Flying Models I published several of his free flight designs. He was a craftsman of the very first order and his trim schemes were always interesting because he was an art teacher. I was honored to speak at his memorial service after his passing.

I started building a "Kostecky corrected" Formula S several years ago. While speaking to Jim one day on the phone I was describing how light and straight the parts were coming out and he said that he would also like to build one but just didn't have the time to make the parts. In a weak moment I offered to give him my parts, and the son of a gun accepted!  He drove down from Lancaster (Near Buffalo) the next weekend and we had a great visit. He left here with all the parts almost ready to assemble into an airframe.

Sadly that model never reached fruition; Jim died before he could complete it... I have started another one that I'm building in tribute to Jim and hope to have it ready for VSC next year. I'm planning on using my PA .40 Merlin engine in it.  I’m going to attempt to post a photo of the parts (I’ve never posted a photo on this forum before, so I hope it works!).

The wing was built using my Lost-Foam technique and features removable landing gear to facilitate shipping the model in a box to Tucson. Not sure if I’ll use the stock red and black scheme or opt for the scheme that Jim used on his next model which was essentially a tail dragger version of the Formula S. He called that model the “Sprit of America” and it featured a really neat eagle head on the fuselage side and a very patriotic paint scheme in red, white and blue. Jim had this great cartoon emblem that he designed and put on most of his models. It read: “Ultimate Ukrainian” as Jim was of Ukrainian descent. It was on the wing of the Formula S and on the Spirit of America as I recall. Wish I could get a close-up of that emblem/I know that the original Formula S is still in existence and is hanging in Art Schaffer’s hobby shop in St. Louis. Perhaps Bob Storick or Gary Hajek could get a close-up photo of that emblem so those of us who are building that model could have that piece of artwork accurately on the wing.

Jim was building a new design that had many of the aesthetic elements of his previous models, but was even more wild and beautiful. I have several photos of the unpainted airframe of that model (which also never reached fruition) and will try to dig them out and post them here soon.

If anyone is interested in the “Kostecky Corrected” Formula S plans, I could have them scanned and have copies made. If you are interested call me at; 610-746-0106.

Bob Hunt   

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 11:57:42 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen a picture of the Spirit of America. Was this a reaction to Gierke's All American Eagle, I wonder. Hmmm.

Be neat if you can scan the pictures you mention and post them.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 02:05:05 PM »
One shot of Kostecky's model.

Allen Brickhaus

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 02:11:53 PM »
Another shot, but closer this time.

Allen Brickhaus

Offline Tom McClain

• Charter Member
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 08:44:39 PM »
Another unique Kostecky stunt ship;  The Patriot.
Tom McClain

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here