News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:17:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who Invented the I-beam Technique?  (Read 3795 times)

Offline Ron King

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Who Invented the I-beam Technique?
« on: November 30, 2006, 10:21:56 AM »
I have always loved the sexy stunters with I-beam wings and am now planning to build one this winter.

My first (and last) attempt did not go very well. I built the Ambroid Ares kit in 1964 and of course we used mostly Ambroid cement. The plane made a few flights off the ball fields in McClure Park (Tulsa), but the ribs did not stay attached to the I-beam, so I ended with a floppy, sloppy mess.  ~^ ~^  The plane got trashed when we moved to Maryland and I never built another.

Since I'm going to try again, I wondered who is credited with creating this building technique?

My assumptions are it was someone in the Detroit Strathmoor club (Roland McDonald?). Anyone know the answer?  ??? ???

Thanks,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Who Invented the I-beam Technique?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 12:14:45 PM »
Bob Dailey is the one who conceived the I beam method. Get " How to build I Beam wings"DVD it'll explain everything.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 12:22:16 PM »
Almost forgot to say who puts it out.

Robin's View Productions, LLC
PO Box 68
Stockertown, Pa 18083

610-746-0106
robinhunt@rcn.com
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 05:28:26 PM »
Bob Dailey is the one who conceived the I beam method. Get " How to build I Beam wings"DVD it'll explain everything.

The Stupid Moderator already has the video and forgot.  HB~>

It got "put away" when we had the basement finished and I forgot where it was. Your message prompted me to check with the spousal unit and she found it.

The mind is a terrible thing to waste.  n~ n~ n~

Thanks for reminding me. Now, who can volunteer to come over to my house and show me how to do this?  ~>

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Online Alan Buck

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 06:58:47 PM »
Ron I do know that I need to get that tape  to help build my first I-beamer  thanks guys  Alan Buck
ALAN E BUCK

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 06:27:18 AM »
Well, Ron, just what do you need to be shown how to do???   Build an I-Beam plane or run your DVD player??
I can't come to YOUR house, but that trip down here you have promised would result in you returning with a framed up I-Beam plane if you get here Friday evening, and leave Sunday.

Bill,

Expect a call RSN (Real Soon Now) - especially if you have a set of '62 Ares plans I could see.  #^ #^

Alan,

There are two problems with that tape, as I recall. The first is it's much better quality that you usually expect to see in a hobby video. The lighting, the sound, and the flow are all too well done for us. We are not worthy.

The second is Bill Werwage just makes it look too $#%%$ easy. Watching the tape made me sick to my stomach at how simple and easy he could cut parts and put them together. It's just not fair.  HB~> HB~>

Call Bob Hunt. Get the video. It's that good.

Take care,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 08:28:57 PM »
The first I-Beamer I ever saw was a Rollie McDonald Detroiter. Not the inventor, but a very early one.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 11:32:32 PM »
Bill,

Expect a call RSN (Real Soon Now) - especially if you have a set of '62 Ares plans I could see.  #^ #^

Alan,

There are two problems with that tape, as I recall. The first is it's much better quality that you usually expect to see in a hobby video. The lighting, the sound, and the flow are all too well done for us. We are not worthy.

The second is Bill Werwage just makes it look too $#%%$ easy. Watching the tape made me sick to my stomach at how simple and easy he could cut parts and put them together. It's just not fair.  HB~> HB~>

Call Bob Hunt. Get the video. It's that good.

Take care,

Ron

Hi Ron,

I got all the "Ares" plans, of course! 

And yes, it is really that easy (and quick) to build I-Beam planes.  But don't tell nobody since everyone will then want them!

**)

Door's always open, you just gotta get down here.  y1

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 12:57:43 PM »
Agreed, the Hunt/Werwage video is a must.

It gives info that was never on almost all of the I-beamer plans.. eg. The Bellcrank pivot DID NOT go through the spar... eg, they used triplers at the spar where the bellcrank arm went through...eg. the the spar caps were beveled in some area to allow the ribs to conform... Again,This video is not only recomended, it is a must!
AMA 7544

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 09:55:40 AM »

(clip)

Since I'm going to try again, I wondered who is credited with creating this building technique?

My assumptions are it was someone in the Detroit Strathmoor club (Roland McDonald?). Anyone know the answer?  ??? ???

Thanks,

Ron

I think the original question has been answered that Bob Daily is pretty much credited with the main impetus behind the I-Beam construction concept.  Also, it has been mentioned that Bob Hunt initiated a series of articles by Fred Carnes in Flying Models that told the I-Beam story and Allen Brickhouse has continued with those Fred Carnes articles. 

Fred Carnes' article in Nov/Dec 98 Stunt News titled "Pedigree of the Early I-Beam Stunters" shows the development in the early days of the Detroit area stunters and their relationships.   Then in the Jan/Feb 2001 issue of Stunt News, Fred Carnes carries his discussion on I-Beams further with an article on I-Beam combat designs.  These are all fascinating articles together with his numerous Flying Models articles, are extremely well researched and well written.  Fred deserves much more credit for his work than he has received.

Keith Trostle

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 07:48:38 PM »
I just dropped Bob McDonald an email to see if Roland developed it. I remember going to their place and just seeing em all over the place 20 years ago when Roland and Bob used to mentor me. Bob was primarily doing sheeted I-beams then but there was always a Detroiter or Aquilla hangin there lookin gorgeous. I'll post Bob's reply.

Bob Branch

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 05:51:33 AM »
This is Bob McDonalds reply:

No dad did not invent it, he showed a lot of people how to do it. It was first used by Bob Daily and he showed to dad. The concept comes from prehistoric free flight models.

bob branch

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 03:11:43 PM »
This is Bob McDonalds reply:

(clip)
 It was first used by Bob Daily and he showed to dad.

(clip)
bob branch

And Bob Daily was identified earlier in this thread as the one individual credited with the I-Beam wing construction.  It was also explained that Fred Carnes went into considerable detail on the origins of the I-Beam construction in his extremely well researched articles. 

Fortunately, Bob McDonald has had a ringside seat to witness all of that and is willing to verify what Fred Carnes has chronicled so well.

Keith Trostle

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here