News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:11:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whittier Narrows?  (Read 712 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Whittier Narrows?
« on: July 09, 2007, 09:19:56 PM »
I learned to fly at Whittier Narrows from about mid-60s to about 1973. In those days, the place was packed every weekend with fliers and an almost monthly contest. It was common to see 50 or 60 planes lined up on the 4 circles waiting to fly every weekend.

Does anybody have pictures from that era at Whittier Narrows? My cousin, Bill Mayo, flew there at the time and had taken many, many pictures that were secured in several photo albums. When he died a few years ago, his then wife threw them away. Later when I asked about them, she said she didn't realize that anyone would be interested. Sigh... A nice woman, but not the brightest bulb on the rack. Anyway, I have thought a lot lately about those times and wondered if anyone took pictures.

Thanks.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Whittier Narrows?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 11:19:48 PM »
Hi Randy,

We have several flyers in our club, KOTRC, who have lived and flown in the area since WW II. My guess is that they have the photos you seek. Dale Kern and our club photographer/NL editor Pete, are always bringing in old photos to our meetings.

You may try going to our club web site and using the email address there to get your request to our club officials.

We still have several great CLPA contests each year + several speed, combat,  and racing events. Weekends are not over crowded but a good group flying CLPA and combat. I fly mostly during the week, CL and RC at the field. It is quiet with no waiting. We are very lucky to have such a great flying field, compliments of the LA county parks dept. and the LA tax payers. :-)

Here is the club link:    http://www.kotrc.org/index.htm

Regards,   H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Whittier Narrows?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 11:54:37 PM »
Thanks Rudy. I haven't flown there since about 1973 or 74. I have fond memories of the place.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here