News:

• May 08, 2024, 04:17:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: While on the topic of jet scale type stunters the f8U  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
While on the topic of jet scale type stunters the f8U
« on: July 07, 2007, 10:01:50 AM »
Do I remember correctly but was there not a (F6U) typo should be F8U Cursader stunter out there. Perhaps by Vic Macaluso? I can not remember if it was classic legal. Unfortunately probably not as I seem to remember the 70's for some reason.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 07:37:42 PM by Peter Nevai »
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: While on the topic of jet scale type stunters the f8U
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 12:24:19 PM »
Vic did design a F-8 Crusader.  He flew it at the 1970 NATS.  I talked at length with Vic to find ot if he had designed, or started construction, of the Crusader before the end of 1969.  Unfortunatle he didn't start on it until Jan. of 1970.

It was published, along with Bill Suarez's F-4 Phantom in a 1971 issue of AAM.  Odd, but the Phantom IS Classic Legal.  Bill was actually flying it in 1969.

Mike McHenry had a Classic Legal A-7 Corsair II built in 1968, a sharp looking ship!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 05:16:47 PM »
Do I remember correctly but was there not a F6U Cursader stunter out there. Perhaps by Vic Macaluso? I can not remember if it was classic legal. Unfortunately probably not as I seem to remember the 70's for some reason.

There is no such thing as an "F6U Cursader"  The Chance Vought F6U Pirate was a single engine straight wing jet fighter that appeared in prototype form as early as 1944 with 30 production types delivered to the Navy.  As far as I know, there is no record of any semiscale stunt ship that has been published on this aircraft.

As Bill Little stated in his post above, Vic Macaluso published the plans and article of his semi-scale stunt F8 Crusader in the June 1971 issue of American Aircraft Modeler.  Then, in the October 1994 issue of Flying Models, Vic published a later version of his Crusader.   Neither of these articles indicate that his original Crusader might have been designed prior to the Classic cutoff date of December 1969.

In the Jan/Feb 64 issue of American Modeler, Harold Price published his plans and article for what he called a Crusader.  This stunt ship took some design cues from the F8U Crusader regarding the fuselage profile.  However, the wing was below the thrust line (as a "typical" stunt ship) and the wing planform had a double taper where there was a large leading edge cuff to mid span with more sweepback than what the tips had.  It had no semblance to a swept wing of the F8U crusader.  Price's model had a conventional gear where the two main wheels were mounted in the wing and retracted rearward into the wing.

The Macaluso and Price models were each distinctive, different  and attractive in their own ways.

Keith

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 07:26:38 PM »
Drats Drats and double drats. My mistake the F6U was a typo. Sigh.... So close yet so far away. Anyone have any scans of these models? My memory fadeth. I just recall how the F8 nose was perfect for our application using a spinner and prop. How cheating this way did not impact the look of the model. So many jet designs are not receptive to a IC engine / spinner mounted inverted or otherwise
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 08:13:35 PM »
Sorry, Peter, I do not have any pictures to post.  I DO have the articles (somewhere) of both of Vic's Crusaders, though. 

The first one was a "rush job", according to Vic, to replace his NATS plane which had a mishap.  It was very, very, nice and powered by a Fox 35.  The layout was scale like in that the wings were mounted atop the fuse, with anhedral. 

The second one used a set of SV 11 foam cores, and had anhedral also.  The depth of the fuselage effectively hid the pipe system he used.  This one was from around 1994, IIRC, when Vic was making a "come back" to CLPA. 

Flying Models has plans available for both of Vic's F-8 Crusaders.  I have considered building the original Macaluso Crusader for use at the Marietta meet where a rolling 25 year cutoff is used for "Vintage Stunt".
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 11:30:46 AM »
Peter
You mentioned that "I just recall how the F8 nose was perfect for our application using a spinner and prop".

One other jet that fits this idea is the F-86D.  It differs from the normal F-86 by drooping the air intake and adding a round radome on the nose.

I was trained on the radar they flew.  (1953)
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here