News:

• May 07, 2024, 11:03:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: wheel skirts instead of wheelpants?  (Read 3018 times)

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
wheel skirts instead of wheelpants?
« on: March 21, 2010, 05:54:55 AM »
Pretty soon, I'm going to get back to work on my Cobra, and I don't want to deal with wheelpants, because the Cobra's pants are EXTREMELY chunky.  If i put wheelskirts on the airplane instead of wheelpants, is the plane still classic legal?

Matt Colan

Online James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: wheel skirts instead of wheelpants?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 04:03:51 PM »
I think as long as the wheel placement doesn't change you're okay, you'll take a hit on fidelity points more than likely.

James
AMA 491167

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 06:04:12 PM »
Pretty soon, I'm going to get back to work on my Cobra, and I don't want to deal with wheelpants, because the Cobra's pants are EXTREMELY chunky.  If i put wheelskirts on the airplane instead of wheelpants, is the plane still classic legal?

Basically, there's no rule in the Classic rules, that allows a disqualification for any modifications to the model.

And I don't know what "wheelskirts" are. The usual option is fake LG doors (which I like), but don't think I could do that to a Cobra. I'd say that if you think the Cobra wheelpants are "chunky", then you should thin them out and shape them as you like (within reason) and not suffer any points penalty.   ~>  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 07:19:31 PM »
Basically, there's no rule in the Classic rules, that allows a disqualification for any modifications to the model.

And I don't know what "wheelskirts" are. The usual option is fake LG doors (which I like), but don't think I could do that to a Cobra. I'd say that if you think the Cobra wheelpants are "chunky", then you should thin them out and shape them as you like (within reason) and not suffer any points penalty.   ~>  Steve

Landing gear doors is what I meant, but for some reason, I don't know why, I refer to them as wheelskirts H^^
Matt Colan

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 08:17:43 AM »
I don't think that the Cobra wheel pants are "chunky". Matt you have to use more sand paper. The Cobra wheel pants are part of the look.
AMA 7544

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 10:00:09 AM »
The original Cobra had very slim wheelpants that were sort of pointed at the apex of perimeter. The ones I put on mine were incorrect and as Matt describes them, chunky. If I had it to do again, I would use much thinner wheels and cut them down. But Tom is right, it's part of the look. It just wouldn't be right without them.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 06:39:14 PM »
The lad is wondering whether he prefers skirts or pants. (Maybe the boy got into the nitrobenzene.)  Look, Matt, however it turns out, it's OK with us.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 08:19:34 PM »
Howard: You are a national treasure...

Bob Hunt

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 03:23:05 PM »
The original Cobra had very slim wheelpants that were sort of pointed at the apex of perimeter. The ones I put on mine were incorrect and as Matt describes them, chunky. If I had it to do again, I would use much thinner wheels and cut them down. But Tom is right, it's part of the look. It just wouldn't be right without them.

Part of my reasoning to use "wheelskirts" is because 99% of the time, we fly on grass, and after learning what happens to a plane with wheelpants, and having EXTREMELY long grass, I always now want ground clearance with plenty of insurance to be able to get off the ground easily.  Also I am using 2 1/2 inch, and wide brodak wheels to help getting off the ground which probably is why the one wheelpant I did came out chunky (I could still take some more material off).

Matt Colan

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 10:11:11 AM »
Well, the Cobra is sort of a low-rider. Getting off long grass can be a real problem. Maybe you could add hydraulics.    ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 10:51:27 PM »
Hey with a set of Al Rabe's spring gear, and a set of Robart air cylindars, yeah, now your cooking, oh man, now where did I put those Cobra plans,, hmmm
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 10:26:03 PM »
The lad is wondering whether he prefers skirts or pants. (Maybe the boy got into the nitrobenzene.)  Look, Matt, however it turns out, it's OK with us.

Thats priceless..  I also support any choices you make, I dont think you should be forced by what society dictates.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 10:50:21 AM »
The Cobra is one of the sleekest stunters ever designed and the wheel pants are part of the beautiful look. It might even look wierd without wheel pants. That may have a subliminal negative effect as far as scores are concerned. I built two Argus models back in the 60s with wheel pants and never had a problem flying off grass. The models just sort of smoothly walked off the grass during take off, and I was amazed at how whell the flexible L.G. worked. I used K&B slim rat race wheels, which are no longer availble. However, there are cottage suppliers that make similar wheels. I recently ordered some 2" slim wheels for my Umland Cobra kit.

Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 01:59:32 PM »

Thats priceless..  I also support any choices you make, I dont think you should be forced by what society dictates.

I did decide to go with the wheel"pants" for the cobra instead of "skirts" in order to keep the look, just use big wheels and make sure there is plenty of ground clearance.

And believe me, I love skirts!!!!  ;D
Matt Colan

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 02:53:04 PM »
Oh you little rascal you!---LOUIE  :## :##

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 07:40:23 PM »
A kilt is a skirt.. your secret is safe with us Matt :)

Here is another good tip, you can use those ultra light wheels that are foam, and sand them down narrow on a belt sander to get them to fit.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 11:52:01 PM »
There is a set of 2 and I think 2 1/2 Inch foam light wheels that are pretty narrow, maybe Dave Brown? I will look since I have a set or two in my wheel drawer, but for now, I am going to sleep,, Matt remind me tomorrow,,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 09:10:52 PM »
On reducing foam wheels. The technique I use is simpler. I put a screw through the wheel with a bolt on the back. Chuck it up in the drill press and use a rough sanding block (80 or 100 grit) and just hold it on the wheel as the drill press spins and low rpm. that them down pretty quickly.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Lauerman

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 04:55:28 PM »
I did decide to go with the wheel"pants" for the cobra instead of "skirts" in order to keep the look, just use big wheels and make sure there is plenty of ground clearance.

And believe me, I love skirts!!!!  ;D

Matt...look back at some of the early Seversky planes...some were fitted with 'spats', but SOME had 'Wheel Trousers'! I prefer skirts, too...

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 04:57:50 PM »
Matt here is the wheels I use. They are 3/8" wide but you do need to put a bearing in the hub. I just use a piece of tubbing that will go over the 1/8: wire gear. Here is a set of wheel pants I made yesterday for my Juno. They took about two hours and that included using a dremmiel to open them up more than is done here. They weigh .5 oz when finished. 1/2" center core a 3/16" sides. Allup weight is 3/4 oz when finished and on plane with struts added and they are glassed.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 02:07:21 PM »
Simplify the problem.  Hopefully you have removable landing gear.  Make two sets, one for grass and one for pavement.   H^^

When I started the thread, we didn't have the wing close to finished yet.  We do have the removable landing gear blocks in the plane, and they should work.  I won't know until I finish working on the TP, as that is a more important project to be working on.

Matt Colan

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 03:02:04 PM »
Wheel pant's are worn by big burly aircraft.
Wheel skirts are worn by the one's that do the real work.....

Ducking...ok guy's I'm just kidding..

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here