News:

• May 07, 2024, 11:41:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: what ever happened to 80 degree weather  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Leo Mehl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
what ever happened to 80 degree weather
« on: June 04, 2008, 10:30:16 AM »
Dang weather is sometin else this year. Either it's to hot or too cold. Still waitin to paint my Grinder. I have had one day to spray this year. I know weather is not a very interesting subject but it has had a big effect on my mindset this year. Anyone else have this problem or am I making a big deal out of this. I like the weather between 80 and 85 degrees and I do my spraying in the garage with the door open and after a coat is finished I set it on my deck to dry after it hardens. for some reason I cannot get this started. I think the old man is mad at me! HB~> HB~> HB~>

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: what ever happened to 80 degree weather
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 10:36:38 AM »
Leo ol' buddy,
I can appreciate your weather dilema, it creates problems for me too, though not with painting, see I have access to this little downdraft booth that is temperature controlled. My problem is trying to practice! flying,, either its raining, blowing or there is thunder and lightneing
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 03:25:23 PM »
Leo ol' buddy,
I can appreciate your weather dilema, it creates problems for me too, though not with painting, see I have access to this little downdraft booth that is temperature controlled. My problem is trying to practice! flying,, either its raining, blowing or there is thunder and lightneing
Is it ok if I blame it on the politicions? VD~ VD~ HB~>

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 03:35:38 PM »
Leo,

I'm pretty sure it's a communist plot.  :)

Weather here has been interesting. Nice last Saturday. Partly cloudy with a light wind. Sunday the sky was black and it threatened rain all day with turbulent and variable (and strong) winds. Made it tough to trim a plane. Though I did like seeing Pete Peterson struggle with the little 38 Special he was flying. Starting Monday night, it's done nothing but rain and rain and rain. It's raining now.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 06:11:50 AM »
Y'all come down to Houston, y'hear? We can supply the 80° days. Of course, ya have ta be willin' to accept the 80% humidity that goes along with 'em . . .

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline David Shad

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 11:18:39 AM »
Well...y'all are always welcome here in middle Georgia...it's 80 in the early morning but the humidity is high...by 10:30 or so its 90 and by noon it's been 95...or higher. We are usually flying after 6 in the evening...stunt heaven.
Big Dave AMA 80235

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 03:29:42 PM »
And here in the great Northwest it's, ah, raining. Still. What a surprise!
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 06:40:31 PM »
We both want 80 degrees for different reasons.

High 90s today and sunday in Norfolk, VA.  Supposed to be 101 tomorrow and my air conditioner is broke.  Been down since Sat and will not be fixed 'til Wednesday afternoon earliest.   :'( :'(
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 07:32:00 AM »
Yeah well today, yes June 10, we set a new record for temperature,, regretably it was for a low! it got to 34 degrees last night. We had a skiff of snow on the ground when I came to work this morning. Just enough to see, but still its JUNE for crying out loud.
at least they are projecting warmer weather for the weekend.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 09:21:17 AM »
Ty, yeah I was thinking along the same lines,, global warming, hmm wonder if he meant THIS globe?
BTW, its still snowing here
yeah ok its not sticking to the ground, but the point remains, its JUNE, its SNOWING, and we are only at 2700 ASL for crying out loud,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 10:43:14 AM »
Ok so now I take that back, it IS sticking to the ground,, anybody have a set of skies for an Oriental?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 10:46:45 AM »
Mark,

I understand. About 50 hear today with a low of around 40 last night. Wind storm knocked out our power at about 6:30pm last evening. I talked to the power company guy and he said a branch broke and hit a power line. Didn't break anything but was enough to trip the transformer at the sub-station. He said that he had crews out all over fixing stuff and wasn't at all sure when they could break a guy loose to go reset the stupid thing.

Power came back on about 3am. Man, It's JUNE! This stuff usually happens in January (or as some of my co-workers are calling this month: Junuary).

Jump on the new bandwagon: Global Cooling!! Increase your carbon footprint to generate a greenhouse effect and stave off the next Ice Age!! Do your part!
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 07:27:07 PM »
GOT A GREAT IDEA...LET'S ALL US NW'STERS GO FIND SOME OLD TIRES...STACK EM' HIGH...LIGHT THEM WITH A TORCH....WATCH ALL THAT BLACK SMOKE....MAYBE THIS WILL HELP GLOBAL WARMING HERE IN THE NW VD~...UHH?
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 08:29:03 PM »
Don,

Yea, we could use a bit of Global Warming around here. I understand there's a heat wave in the north east and flooding in the mid-west. Puts me in mind of the old Kingsman's song: " There rioting in Africa..."
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Foley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 09:31:21 PM »
>>We had a skiff of snow<<<

That's all?  I had to deal with two feet of fresh powder Monday at my Bluewood cell tower just East of Dayton. Today its mid 80's. Global Cooling? Go figure! Weather this year has been totally weird. I think April was our best weather so far. I swear the planet is getting flipped up side down

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 06:24:56 PM »
Somebody didn't fill out the weather request forms correctly. What we got was 180 degree weather!  LL~ But it's really nice out today (Wednesday), light breeze, broken clouds. I went by River View circles Monday, and it's all been mowed (by the city of Kent). Moles have been busy, tho. We need to cure those guys on a permanent basis!  :X Steve

PS: Never heard of "a skiff of snow". Must be an Okie (Okanogan) expression?
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 06:38:37 PM »
Steve,

You must not have lived in snow country. It's sort of like here with terms for rain. Mist, drizzle, showers, etc. When I lived in Idaho, they had many terms for snow, depending on how much and how hard. You just didn't want to be around for a "dump".

LL~

The weather report for the weekend is about what you'd expect for this time of year ( the region without Summer).
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 06:54:43 PM »
I can live with about anything for the weekend in Puyallup, except the wind, last year was treachorous to say the least, or if the wind blows across the runway it may be alright, but over the hanger and resteraunt is downright scarey blender style
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 09:46:28 PM »
Mark,

Weatherman says 0-5 mph all weekend, but we know what his opinion is worth.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 07:24:10 AM »
Randy,
I agree, I would almost prefer that he say its going to be 50 degrees , continuos rain and lightning, and 35 mph winds,, then I would be pretty confident it was going to be about 70 with light breezes and a gentle2 to 3 mph wind!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 12:40:07 PM »
I think I made the right decision to skip today's Puyallup contest.  WX today in Eugene is COLD and overcast.  Has to be equal or worse in WA.  One can only take so much....

Floyd in OR
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 03:41:06 PM »
The 80 degree weather you guys are missing was here in Tucson this morning.  The down side of that is that the 80 degrees was at 6 am.  By 9 am, it was 95 and I threw in the towel.  Good flying weather though, almost every day, between 6 and 9.  Had 4 circles busy much of the morning.  How long 'till November?
Steve

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 07:45:55 PM »
GOT A GREAT IDEA...LET'S ALL US NW'STERS GO FIND SOME OLD TIRES...STACK EM' HIGH...LIGHT THEM WITH A TORCH....WATCH ALL THAT BLACK SMOKE....MAYBE THIS WILL HELP GLOBAL WARMING HERE IN THE NW VD~...UHH?

OK Donnie, How long has it been since they let you out of the Monkey Ward. Or are you crazy or what. HB~> HB~> HB~>. You know that would be hard on my lungs and if the lungs don't work nothin else does either. Would someone tie this guy to the windsock so the rest of us are safe the rest of the year. Again his mind is working overtime. Amazing what can happen once his systems start to break down. We will never ever give up. We will fight to the end! ~~> ~~> ~~> ~~> ~~> BW@ BW@ BW@ BW@ BW@ HB~>

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 07:51:52 PM »
OK Donnie, How long has it been since they let you out of the Monkey Ward. Or are you crazy or what. HB~> HB~> HB~>. You know that would be hard on my lungs and if the lungs don't work nothin else does either. Would someone tie this guy to the windsock so the rest of us are safe the rest of the year. Again his mind is working overtime. Amazing what can happen once his systems start to break down. We will never ever give up. We will fight to the end! ~~> ~~> ~~> ~~> ~~> BW@ BW@ BW@ BW@ BW@ HB~>
It's been 80 degrees and then some It must be summer seeing it is finally August.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 09:57:01 AM »
Leo,

Well, you know what Steve Helmick says, there are two seasons around here. Winter and August.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 02:40:40 PM »
Leo,

Well, you know what Steve Helmick says, there are two seasons around here. Winter and August.
Doesn't Steve drink a lot of wine? HB~> HB~>
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 10:14:47 AM by Leo Mehl »

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 09:49:01 AM »
Leo,

I don't know. But I can say that I was in the mountains in Idaho all last week. Temp in the 80s, low humidity and clear as a bell all but one day (and it was only a brief thunderstorm moving through.). We drove back yesterday and as soon as we hit the west side of the Gorge, instant clouds, wind and cold. Pretty much all the way up from Portland, it was cold and windy. Typical NW summer (at least over the last couple of years). Sigh... Time to move to a sunnier clime.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here