News:

• May 02, 2024, 11:55:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What designs used the Nobler wing?  (Read 4297 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What designs used the Nobler wing?
« on: April 29, 2007, 01:51:43 PM »
I recently scroonched my Noblarf.  It was a shallow, inverted, power-on "landing" (don't even have to rebend the landing gear, so it was a great landing!), so only the top of the fuselage and vertical are wiped off.  Still the model was done immediately after the kit came out, so it is (4? 5?) years old.  I expect it is loaded with oil, and the covering is shot anyway.  The question is what Classic designs were done with the Nobler wing, unmodified except for tips and flaps?  Chisler for one. Olympic?  What else?

People are always going on about how everything is a re-styled Nobler, so who has a real list?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: What designs used the Nobler wing?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 02:36:54 PM »
Larry,
Only the early Olympic(s) had the Nobler wing. Some has I-beam type wings, and the version published and more recently kitted had much more leading edge sweep back.
AMA 7544

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 02:54:42 PM »
Larry,

Yes, according to the Dick Mathis article on his Chizler in Flying Models, Dick suggests that the kit Nobler wing could be used.  However, the magazine plans showed an airfoil that was slightly thicker, like by the width of an ink line or slightly more, than the kit airfoil.  However, I have not done precise "overlay" comparisons of the root and tip ribs from the two airplanes.

Keith Trostle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 04:13:41 PM »
H Larry,

I'm losing what *little* bit of mind I have left!  I coulda swore I replied to this a while ago!  Anyways........

One choice is Mr. Louis Grondal's AMA Special.  During conversations before his untilmely passing, he said he built it from a Green Box kit.  He had two planes at the World Championships, a kit Nobler and the AMA Special.  His "Grondal Nobler" was built to fly the AMA pattern which was the last flight during the championships he said.  He had two (at least), one black and red (I'm going to do that one) and a later white and light blue one.  All were powered with Fox 35 Stunt engines.  The best plans for it aer from Paul Tupker, and Tom Dixon has a set he drew.  I *think* he also has the Tupker plans.  Since you already have the wing, Tom's plans would probably work fine.  Different wingtips, a bubble canopy, and slight changes to the tail feathers.  It does fly great, after all, it's a Nobler! ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 09:31:11 PM »
Speaking of Tom Dixson, how do you get in touch with him?  I could use a couple of DS 40 head gaskets.  He no longer seems to put advertisements in Stunt News.

DesignMan

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 03:27:57 AM »
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
Got it, thanks!

DesignMan

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 09:52:11 AM »
Larry,

Yes, according to the Dick Mathis article on his Chizler in Flying Models, Dick suggests that the kit Nobler wing could be used.  However, the magazine plans showed an airfoil that was slightly thicker, like by the width of an ink line or slightly more, than the kit airfoil.  However, I have not done precise "overlay" comparisons of the root and tip ribs from the two airplanes.

Keith Trostle

Here is an old photo showing Bob Gieske pointing out on that flying shirt with the Gieske Nobler plan exactly where he states to: "if you are using a kit nobler wing..be sure to trace around the ribs with a "fat ball point pen" (or apx. 1/8" larger in outline or to that effect.)
(photo I shot at the 68 nats---before the bullet winds started.)
Winds...huh? not in kansas?

another attached photo showing Keith...doing a little gamesmanship. When asked after his flight..."HOW HIGHS DA VIND' PAAAPA!" Keith grabbed his wiping rag...leaned into the wind with his flight suit and wiping rang fluttering loudly....THUS PROVING ONE PHOTO IS WORTH A WHOLE BUNCH OF SILLY WORDS!
You ought to have seen the eye balls a poppin' from all his fellow competitors while Keith was doing his wind dance, know soon we too, would have to experience the thrill or agony of that INFAMOUS KANSAS WIND!
Don Shultz

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 04:46:30 PM »
How about my FIRST "original" design based on Fiat G-91!  What's that, never heard of it?  That's cuz it only made it to the NATs once, as a back up plane in 1968...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 11:05:25 AM »
Dennis,
That is a great looking airplane.

I have a few pictures of "Adamison" airplanes taken at the '69 St Louis team trials.

Your family has quite a few airplanes that are definitely "Classis Legal"

It is interesting that you and Jim Kostecky both had airplanes named "Spirit of America". I flew Jim's "Spirit of America" at the end of the '69 trials.
AMA 7544

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 03:13:49 PM »
Tom:
THANKS for the kind words.  You know I was thinking the same thing - why didn't I try building another?  It was a good flying airplane and looked pretty nice if a bit generic jet...  It was never published so it really isn't classic legal.

BTW, my "Spirit" was named after Craig Breedlove's jet cars.  Did Jim K call his Spirit of America or just America?

Is this the one you flew?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 04:17:46 PM »
Dennis,

Has to be published, kitted or designed before 12/31/1969. You plane definately qualifies. Didn't have to be published, just proof of it being designed before the deadline. You have pre-deadline pictures of the plane. That's good enough.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 05:07:10 PM »
OK, pix ARE dated - and I actually did have plans for this one at one time.  Have NO idea where they would be - probably gone.  Weird thing is I remeber a LOT of the dimensions: moments, stab chords & span, height of the fuselage sides...  Maybe I should redraw the plans from memory :D

As I remember, the wing had an aspect ratio of about 7:1....!   n1
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 11:39:51 AM »
Dennis,

Thanks for the the excellent picture of Jim. If that airplane has a conventional landing gear it is the airplane that I flew. Bob Hunt had told me the it is named the "Spirit of America"

As to Classic eligibility: I am proud to say that when I was the PAMPA District 2 VP, before moving to Texas I was instrumental in having the "Classic" eligibility changed to to include "reasonable proof", such as photos, magazine pictures, etc.

There is a very important reason for this.  During the "Classic" appearance requirements included "originality" This contributed to the rapid development of stunters, and many very good modified and new designs. Every area of the US, and for that matter of the world, had winning designs that should be seen again.

As a result of "reasonable proof" being added, we have more recently seen the Flying Models "Classic Series" , "Classics" published elsewhere. This allowed us to have airplanes like "Ballerina III" (FM), "Jerseyan" (MA), Kostecky's "Patriot" (FM), Billy's "' '61 Ares" , and more available to all of us.

I had Artie Meyers's "60 NATS Sr. Stunt winner, "New Yorker" in my possession until I moved to Dallas. I have the original pencil drawing, and I took about 70 pictures. I also have pictures taken when the airplane was flown in 1960. This certainly is a future article, that Bob Hunt and I have discussed.

Thankfully these airplanes are eligible, due to "reasonable proof", they deserve to be seen again.

I had sent a copy of a magazine article on the '69 team trials, to Big Art several years ago that includes your "Typhoon" and and other  "Adamison" airplanes. I can send you a copy if you like. This is certainly "reasonable proof".

YES, there are many "Adamison" airplanes eligible for "Classic Stunt", along with many more designs, I am sure.

AMA 7544

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 11:00:40 PM »
I wondor why we donot bring back Oridinality & Realisim scores?  ???  S?P
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007, 09:00:39 AM »
Dennis,
While the reduction of Appearance point from 40 to 20 was probably not a bad thing, the changing of the descriptions to just "appearance" was terrible.

I personally feel that appearance is an important part of our event. The old categories should be included in the description of what to look for. I recall that Keith also agrees with me on this one.
AMA 7544

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007, 09:56:47 AM »
Dennis,
While the reduction of Appearance point from 40 to 20 was probably not a bad thing, the changing of the descriptions to just "appearance" was terrible.

I personally feel that appearance is an important part of our event. The old categories should be included in the description of what to look for. I recall that Keith also agrees with me on this one.

Hi Tom,

I would suggest that the "Apearance Points" could be broken down into three categories: 5 Pts. for Realism; 5 Pts. for Originality; 10 Pts. for Workmanship/Appearance.   I lump the two together since getting a great "appearance" on a model takes a high level of "Workmanship".

But, then again, we do not have AP in our area...........:(

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 09:00:28 PM »
Tom & Bill - Great comments & great thought starters!

I think that Originality, Workmanship, Realism and Finish are all vital elements of the aura of CLPA.  I think it IS possible for ARF's to be rated relative to original designs.  Heck, the guy who added some stripes and ironed out the wrinkles in his Arf deserves credit versus the guy who did not.

The guy who has a paint job done by his buddy deserves less credit than a well-done iron on.

To Tom's point: I do not really disagree that 20 points was necessarily worse than 40 points.  BUT given the aura of CLPA and the spectacle that is apperance judging (i.e. a BIG part of the event):  I think that Appearance could be as important as one manuver score...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 02:28:18 PM »
Hummmmm?
Do you ever think that toy airplane flyers will ever call this hobby a sport and drop the silly
B-O-T-M-RULE and just call competition Precision Aero what it truly is:  A SPORT!

Gee! Otherwise.... I think that Ken "Grippy" Roger Federrrerrreerr, TigaWoody' and  Mikey J should build their own gloves, tennis rackets, golf clubs and basketballs...etc?  S?P BAD BAD BAD IDEA...OR IS IT?

OK!  MAYBE SOUR-BUD-LIGHTS' ...BUT HEY...NOT ALL OF US ARE "BUILT" WITH ARTFUL FINISHING AND BUILDING SKILLS LIKE A PAUL WALKER OR AN AL RABE!!!!!
(when will we ever learn not to handicap or ::) exclude??)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 03:42:34 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2007, 05:12:02 AM »
Guys

A comment from the F2B world if I may.

Remember, that BOM disappeared from F2B years ago and while there were opponents to the change, they all moved on.

Looking on from the other side of the Pacific, I like the idea of authenticity and originality in current design classes.

I find it very difficult to get my head around points for originality in Classic.

That said, however, authenticity would be good.  Warbirds with other than flat camo should be marked down—camo that the girls could apply makeup in because their reflections are so clear is, to me, bizarre.

There are plenty of warbird Reno racers with shiny finishes for any shiny model fan.

What do others think?

Geoff

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2007, 07:18:18 AM »
Guys

A comment from the F2B world if I may.

Remember, that BOM disappeared from F2B years ago and while there were opponents to the change, they all moved on.

Looking on from the other side of the Pacific, I like the idea of authenticity and originality in current design classes.

I find it very difficult to get my head around points for originality in Classic.

That said, however, authenticity would be good.  Warbirds with other than flat camo should be marked down—camo that the girls could apply makeup in because their reflections are so clear is, to me, bizarre.

There are plenty of warbird Reno racers with shiny finishes for any shiny model fan.

What do others think?

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I agree totally with a *scale* finish should be *authentic*.  Weathering and all takes talent for it to come out right, and as much effort as getting a glossy finish!  But, in the good ol' US of A, CLPA dictates that the plane have a super gloss to gain top AP.   I would definitely give top points to a ship like Ron Burn's F-4-F than got a total of 3 AP at the NATS........  It had the best *finish* there!!!  But it was all weathered and flat (just like it was supposed to be) and the *judges* didn't buy it at all..........  So, as Al Rabe realized, he did the weathering, chipped panel lines, exhaust stains, etc,. etc., and then shot gloss epoxy clear over it to get those AP.  A compromise that he realized he must do.

Is it *right* for us to require a super glossy smooth finish?  I do not think so if the plane is a scale stunter and the real one was not glossy.

Now, the problem for me is that the local contests I go to have dropped the BNOM and AP so it doesn't even matter *points* wise!  (I still have not heard a reason for everyone around here dropping AP......)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 11:31:10 AM »
"Opps!" I got caught with my lame brain panties down...huh? Living in the past...takes it tole.
Yes, I too agree that Appearence points and achievement awards should be given for exceptionally outstanding examples of stunt models. 

I mearly was reflecting of the years and years that control line precision aerobatics scores and final outcomes were yoked in shackles of shame...by those beautifully finished and built model always taking the top three spots.
When in fact at any contest are filled with extremly good flyers with beautifully crafted models and then considering that the scores that are seperated by mere points. How UNFAIR THAT ALWAYS SEEMED. For years, it had always boggled my britches that that it was virtually impossible for an exceptionally great pattern flown by a gifted flyer WITH A BEAT UP OLD STUNT MODEL that he would forever have to take that "back of the bus seat on the winners stand"...simply because of the color and skin of his shabby worn looking old stunt model.
Hummm...just another ramblin' from an old worn out modeler from the past, floggin a dead "HOBBY HORSE!" LL~
Don Shultz

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2007, 02:27:41 PM »
Don't knock golf, even though I don't play the game.  I read an article last year about a mid-thirties golf champion and pro(from New York I think), who did make his own clubs.  Sold quite a few sets too, I believe, because he knew that the clubs were the least part of the equation.
phil Cartier

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
Don't knock golf, even though I don't play the game.  I read an article last year about a mid-thirties golf champion and pro(from New York I think), who did make his own clubs.  Sold quite a few sets too, I believe, because he knew that the clubs were the least part of the equation.
LL~ LL~ LL~Our good modelbuildin and flyin brotha' Bruce Kimble makes his own beautiful golf clubs... H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Bob Howard

• New Pilot
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2007, 10:13:58 PM »
That's right, Keith. My son Ryan actually has one of Dick's NATS wings, I believe the 67 or 68 one with white monocote. It is short like the Nobler, but a bit fattened up.  My son Ryan learned the pattern on it.

Bob Howard

Larry,

Keith Trostle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2007, 09:47:22 AM »

Hi Phil,

I had a company ofr a while where I built and repaird golf clubs.  Even some for a few of the touring pros.  Right now, I build mine from a buddy who works in the Tour Dept for one of the big companies.  The club heads and shafts used on Tour are not readily available for "normal golfers"! 

Arnold palmer always built his own clubs in the '60s and '70s.  He even gave me a 1 iron that he made and used on tour back when i was on his Advisory Staff.

Not a lot unlike the prebuilt wings and other components from high end builders now in the upper levels of CLPA.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 11:14:29 PM »
Found another one!

Nobler wing except 3/32 skins.  Jet fuselage, high stab (his was a T-Tail) and even the name copied from one of my brother Arch's airplanes.  Yes it was really easy to fly well.  No I do not have plans for it.

This was supposed to be my #1 bird for the 1969 season.  I finished it early, so I got busy and built the Typhoon.  In a mini-flyoff before the Nats I was leaning toward flying this one - I had more time on it.  However, Don Bambrick and LeRoy Gunther convinced me that the Typhoon flew better and that I should keep working with it.

Shows you what I know...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Gordan Delaney

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2007, 07:46:20 AM »
Larry,
My Hienz 57 used a Nobler wing with different tips and flaps. I flew it at VSC in 2004.

Gordy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here