Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VSC XX  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
VSC XX
« on: March 17, 2008, 08:08:55 AM »
I am happy to hear of all the fun everyone had who could attend the VSC!  Congrats to Doc and Mike on the Jack Sheeks Awards. y1

It is a desire of mine to make the trip before too long.  Hopefully, with retirement, and if the price of gas doesn't get any more ridiculous, I will make it in '09, '10 at the outside! LL~

(And it will be with a Jack Sheeks I-Beam, I hope! y1 )
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 09:30:58 AM by Bill Little »
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: VSC XX
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:18:45 AM »
I am lucky in that I have a relative living in Tucson.  You might think of joining up with a couple of people to help share in expenses.  Of course you could possibly contact one of the fine modelers here in Tucson for a place on the floor, ship your planes and fly out.  As far as equipment I would imagine that could be provided also.  The people are great at VSC when it comes to needing help.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 11:34:29 PM »
Bill,

Hey, Tom Hamshire and several others made the trip from Joisey. What a great bunch of guys they were, too. Tom is a riot.

I won't make it next year, but probably the year after that. Robin Sizemore outlined a new protocol for next year. There will be 3 flights over three days in Classic with one score thrown out and the other two added together. Should be a lot of fun.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 02:20:43 AM »
It was well worth the $'s as it was the most fun I've had at a contest ever! Definately going to try for next year too.

Randy, why won't you go next time?
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 07:21:09 AM »
Bill,

Hey, Tom Hamshire and several others made the trip from Joisey. What a great bunch of guys they were, too. Tom is a riot.

I won't make it next year, but probably the year after that. Robin Sizemore outlined a new protocol for next year. There will be 3 flights over three days in Classic with one score thrown out and the other two added together. Should be a lot of fun.

Well, Tom is a good friend, and also a retired LAWYER!  Retired Lawyers from Joisey make more than school teachers in NC. y1  Over $3 per gallon for gas, and over 4000 miles round trip makes for a big chunk of change and that's just getting there and back.  that's close to $500 in gas alone.  No liquor stores left to knock off!  LL~ LL~ LL ~  Throw in about $2500 for motels and how much else for food and entry fees, etc.??

Sorry, it is just REAL tough for so of us to do that! LL~
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 09:30:49 AM »
After my post, I decided that I should not have made the comment, so I have deleated it---I hope!! b1

Cheers,

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 10:32:20 AM »
Bill  Charlotte is one of the most expensive airports in the country to fly from. But Charlotte to Tucson is the exception. The airfair is very low  if you book three months in advance. $200-250 including tax non stop. Go and return on Tuesday or Wensday. I fly out west to Tucson, Phoenix ,LasVegas or Denver at least once a year and I just got fiights for two round trip to Denver for $370 including all tax. It is not worth driving Motels and food will cost you.Car rental for a week is cheap but sometimes you need to rent the car away from the airport to get around huge taxes that are charged at the airport. Almost all flights have 4-6 seats at very  low prices for the first one to book them. Each year I make the decision do I go to Brodak or do I take the wife on a trip out west for two weeks. Out west wins and she tells me to go to Brodak if I want.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 02:58:17 PM »
Bill,

Many of us are a similar boat, with the expenses to long distance events.

Most people now team up with others to share expenses of gas, rooms, etc. in many cases you can become part of a car pool as long and you can join the car enroute. Everyone wants to have help with the gasoline costs.

VSC is a "People" event as much as a flying event.

The Tucson people are also very helpful. Many are willing to share a room and/or  floor space for an air matress.

I know that you have some Classic airplanes. I hope that you can make next year after coordinating with others.

Some people even leave there airplanes in Tucson, so their trip is easier with options of flying for future trips.

We all hope that you can get to VSC in the very near future. It is truly a family reunion, that everyone has to get to.
AMA 7544

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 03:06:37 PM »
FWIW: I drove out solo but with two other flier's airplanes.  They were able to fly out and I was able to share expenses - a good deal for all.  Vehicle wise, just my thoughts but there are plenty of people, myself included, who are able to assist with transportation during VSC.  We're all pretty much going to the same place at the same time so plenty of extra seats - no rental car necessary. :D
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 06:58:58 PM »
Bill,

Tom came with 4 other guys. They carpooled and split the costs. I was lucky. Mike Haverly hauled my plane and my in-laws have a time share in Tucson, so the "motel" was covered. All I had was airfare for two (about $450). Lucky indeed.

Clint,

The in-laws aren't going next year. It will be an every other year thing for me for awhile. As Bill points out, it's a 3600 mile round trip for me. Let's see, gas is $3.50 a gallon (here, anyway) that's 1260.00 just for gas. Yikes!
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 08:24:57 AM »
Thanks for all the well wishing suggestions, guys.  I have already considered each and every one many times, and even some that were not offered!

When it is difficult to do to a week end contest 100 miles away, how can I expect to go to Tuscon?  And that is with splitting a motel room two or three ways.  The entire cost of travel has risen to levels that affect some of us worse than others. 

I will make it to VSC some way, some day, good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise.

Bill Little
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 10:01:19 AM »

I will make it to VSC some way, some day, good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise.

Bill Little

Me too, with same qualifiers!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here