News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:49:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Upright or Inverted Engine on Thunderbird  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Tom Weedon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Upright or Inverted Engine on Thunderbird
« on: February 09, 2007, 01:20:12 PM »
Back in the 50's when I was a teen, I build a Veco Thunderbird (Palmer design). I am getting back into control line and I bought a Brodak Thunderbird a couple of years ago which I plan to build soon. Question is; "Did Bob Palmer place the engine upright or inverted in his original T-Bird"? Also, other than starting, is there any advantage in engine orientation?

Tom Weedon
Tom Weedon, AMA 2537

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Upright or Inverted Engine on Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 02:36:03 PM »
A good couple of questions.

It's always been my understanding that the T'Bird 1 used the upright engine. That's the way Bob flew the original, though he may have later built and flown one with an inverted engine. He did fly a radial version of the "Bird, that still exists today. It's being restored at present. He left it behind, in England, while on his world tour, and at least one version used trike gear.

There are a couple of good reasons an inverted engine is the choice of most stunt pilots today. An inverted engine gets the prop up higher, so the gear doesn't have to be as long to clear the ground. This also changes the verrtical CG, making it possible for a lower wing mounting. It affects the thrust line and the lower wing possition allows for a higher stab centerline to be used, which helps with the control geometry.

Designs that use an upright engine, therefore a lower thrust line, ussually need long spindly mains. They also should have a higher wing possition, which may nessitate having the flap horn on the underside of the wing. If the stab centerline is above the wing centerline, problems can occur when setting up the elevator horn. I think the ideal possition for the elevator in such a condition, may best be found to be at the bottom of the fuse, lower than the wing.

Planes that have vertical CG problems are hard to trim out. In the case of an upright engine, low wing design, the plane wants to bank out upright, and in when inverted. The best example of this condition I can think of would be Williams Ringmaster, an Old Time design, that is not one bit related to Sterling's Ringmaster we all know and love. iT is well known for this banking tendency. The best fix being to bring the leadouts out, above the wing. Not the prettiest solution. %^@ HB~>

John Miller

Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 07:43:24 AM »
Back in the 50's when I was a teen, I build a Veco Thunderbird (Palmer design). I am getting back into control line and I bought a Brodak Thunderbird a couple of years ago which I plan to build soon. Question is; "Did Bob Palmer place the engine upright or inverted in his original T-Bird"? Also, other than starting, is there any advantage in engine orientation?

Tom Weedon

Hi Tom,

Just before Bob Palmer moved out of So. Cal. (first to his daughter's home in Montana then to Tucson) I had lunch with Bob at his home in Arleta (near Burbank).  We were talking about his Thunderbird and he said that his first Thunderbirds had the engine mounted inverted.  When Gil Henry wanted to kit the airplane he thought that it would sell better with the engine mounted upright as he thought it would be easier to start for most modelers.  Bob modified the nose to provide upright engine mounting for kitting.  He personally much preferred the inverted mounting.

Bill Byles

Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 08:17:02 AM »
Bill,
 That is very ineresting!

Many people were also building inverted engined T-Bird I's with bubble canopies, well before the T-Bird II came out. I have pictures of two of them that were taken about 1960. They were beautiful.

Also, John D'Ottavio's Classic "Jerseyan" (Sept 2004 MA) has an upright engine. The thrustline is on the centerline of the wing. It had moments that you see on todays "modern stunters". The airplane was low slung with clipped prop blades. I have had 2 of them and they fly along with the best of the Classic airplanes.

John build a second "Jerseyan" with an inverted engine, and different rudder, but it was never flown in a contest. Seems, he let a friend use it, there was a split up and the guy's wife destroyed the airplane! I had a picture of the airplane but don't know where it is.
AMA 7544

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 03:50:59 AM »
Back in the 50's and 60's, when an engine (although we loved them) was something to get the plane in the air, I always appreciated an inverted or cowled engine because it was more "realistic". This could include changing a design, even a kit, from upright to inverted. Nowadays I search out vintage/classic models with upright uncowled engines as a means to display authentic old engine, - so much charisma! An art form all of its own.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here