News:

• May 04, 2024, 05:41:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Novi  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
The Novi
« on: March 17, 2007, 07:50:34 PM »
OK, here is the Green Weeny pretty much ready to fly. Still need to wrap the leadouts, but that's about it. Overall weight ended up being a bit higher than I wanted thanks to almost endless headaches with the darned clearcoat. Had to shoot it twice and still didn't really get what I wanted, But it's not too bad. Not the super light plane I wanted, but not a pig either.

the last pic is probably closer to what it looks like live. The florescent lights make the colors look kinda funny. In some spots the pearl in the clear coat really reflects and makes it look kinda weird. Splochy sort of. In person it's not too bad.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: The Novi
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 09:13:57 PM »
It looks awfully good to me, wish I could get mine to look that good.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 10:20:40 PM »
Looks good from here Randy ;D
are you going to make it to Portland and if so, will the Green Weenie be with you?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 10:27:37 PM »
Hi Randy,

It looks just fine! y1  I know how pearls are to try and photograph.  Really need to be outside shots to get close to what they actually look like.

Wait until you see the Pearl, Rose Beige Metallic, NOVI-11 with Plum Crazy, Black, and Gold trim!  And, of course, a clear pearl overcoat.  I think I'm going to find a place to add more black into the trim..... black really looks kewl with the pearl over it!  n~ n~

P.S., PM me your phone number, it's been a while since we talked! (and I got unlimited free anytime minutes!  LL~ LL~)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 11:18:43 PM »
Mark,

Yea, I plan to be at Portland. Hopefully, it will have a couple of flights before then. Since I'm in the mode, I'm planning to rub out the PA plane next. Then I can - what a shock! - clean the shop up.

Bill.

Be careful when you shoot the clearcoat with pearls in it. It doesn't take much to get a very cool effect. Sigh...

It looks OK, but this was my first try at using candy concentrates and pearl combinations. It's OK, but like any plane, I see a billion errors. Maybe it's just because it's green.

The final weight is 46oz. That's about 2oz. more that it would have been if I hadn't had to re-clear the silly thing. About 4oz heavier than it should have been if I would have just painted the the thing red and white or something. The 4 coats of base color (white then candy then pearl then...twice) really added on the weight. But it's still 4oz lighter than Dave's original. Should be OK. If I can get the leadouts wrapped tomorrow, I may get a weather window that will allow me to sneak over to the school and give it a try.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 12:01:19 AM »
Hi Randy,

My first shot at a clear pearl overcoat was on my *little* junar for the '96 NATS. I used very little of the Dupont pearl powder in the clear, and it went a long way.  It did look pretty good when it was rubbed out and waxed up!

I still have the wing, and I might build another one before too long.  I am going to try the technique you sent me about the "toners" in clear dope.  Thanks!

Good luck with the Novi, I like the looks of the first one the best out of the 3 published ones. y1

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 12:04:45 AM »
Yea, I thought the first Novi had a sort of custom car, chopped and channeled look. It's why I put the inset tank vents in.

You can see the uniflow vent in the middle picture.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 07:17:35 PM »
Turns out it flies OK. Still needs some trimming and of course, I left the trick tool to adjust the elevator sitting on the bench at home when I took the beast to Portland. Sigh... Hopefully I'll get the trimming done before the Regionals.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 07:50:55 PM »
Randy,
Ok so I said i wasnt a fan of jet style stunters,,(gasp, did he really say that!!!!!!!) but after seeing both yours in the air, I do have to say, they have much more presence in the air. I may have to build one meself one day,, ( AFTER  I quit making kindling) I really liked the Novi up close and personal, however, I think that the Hulk would have been a better pilot than spidey man,, hes green after all!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 10:29:26 AM »
Mark,

Believe it or not, that was the plan. But the figure I got from the toy store had shourlders that were too wide to fit. He is the Hulk, afterall. Tried sawing them off, but he looked stupid.

Oh well.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here