News:

• May 10, 2024, 03:12:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Best Name for This Style of Classic Plane  (Read 6601 times)

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
The Best Name for This Style of Classic Plane
« on: November 07, 2007, 06:11:34 PM »
Hi Guys,

Everyone knows that there was a Nobler- Ares-Detroiter style of classic planes and there was the jet style of classic planes , plus there were Scale stunt designs but there was another style of design that was none of the above, and, this design style illicited it's own unique feel and response from the viewer.

I was going through some plans and there were 3 plane's that I looked at that are representative of this particular style . The "Mystere I" by Jim Van Loo, the "Electra X-35" by Jerry Worth and the "Midas" by Gerry Flaugher.

whenever I look at these designs the word "Swoop" jumps in my mind for some reason. 

I am sure that there are other planes that fit into this design style so please list any other planes that you know about that were of this style.
If you have a good name for this design style please share it. It would be interesting. 

I am sorry, I don't have any small shots of the plans or planes for those folks that are not familiar with these designs. but, maybe someone out there can help out.

These are unique and eye grabbing airplanes that seem to be somewhat ignored so I thought it might be worth a post.

Pat Robinson

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The Best Name for This Style of Classic Plane
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 08:43:20 PM »
Hi Pat:

Billy Simons used to call these models "New Wave" designs. I kind of like that! That's what I consider my Genesis design to be, and also Les McDonald's Stiletto, Boom Boom Gunther's Galaxy, Jim Kostecky's Talon and Formula S, and many others.

Bob Hunt

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 09:24:31 PM »
Pat:
Great idea for a post.  I think the designs you are calling out meld a lot of the Jet look with the Classic look.  In addition to the ones Bob mentioned I would add USA-1, Novi 4, Ted Fancher's designs, Jerry Worth's Mirage and Apteryx, and countless others.

Sad to say I don't have a good suggestion to name the class... Swoops?  New Wave?  Classic-Modern?  Gonna have to think about this one!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 09:12:05 AM »
Hi Guys,

Bob the name "New-Wave Classic" does roll easily off the tongue and has a nice ring to it. I like it. I guess the reason I started this post in the hope that by naming this style of classic plane, it might generate renewed interest in these bold, unique and special designs.

I seem to remember some references to "functional style" for planes like the Stunt Machine and the Stiletto that made no effort to even emulate  any real airplane but instead were designed as tools dedicated to optimize  PA performance. Your Genesis would fit in this category as well. 
I don't see the need to get carried away with lots of extra style category names like "functional" but a more inclusive name like "New Wave Classic" , would be a handy way to reference these designs. 

One area that may generate some confusion, is what separates a "Jet Style" airplane from a "New Wave" airplane.  Are the Gierke Novi I - II & III "jet style" or "new wave" while the Novi IV seems to definitely be "New Wave".
Interesting questions ---Huumm. D>K  Bob thanks for your input.

Dennis, I want to thank you for your input as well. Dennis  I am like you in that I am getting used to the idea of creating a name for this style of design but I think that Bill Simon, through the irrepressible Bob Hunt,  may be on to something with this "New Wave " name. It kind of grows on you.

I am not really familiar with the Jerry Worth "Mirage" and "Apteryx" designs
but if you say so I am sure they would be of this style.

Think about the implications of what led Bill Simons to use the word "New Wave" as these planes were the new and modern style planes of their era.
Now 30-40 years later I think they are worthy to finally have a name that would describe their unique nature.  What do you guys think?

Pat Robinson

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 09:35:52 PM »
I am not really familiar with the Jerry Worth "Mirage" and "Apteryx" designs but if you say so I am sure they would be of this style.

Pat Robinson

Pat:
Had a copy of the Mirage article (MAN Feb'69) Jerry apparently built at least three of them, I only saw the tail dragger.  Take a look at it - right down to the paint scheme - it is the very much the prototype for the class, and obviously a very influential design over time.

There was a pix of the Apteryx post here in SH some time back.  I tried copying it to repost here.  It resembles but predates the USA-1 that we all know and love by one season.  BTW I think Jerry is in the middle in white slacks and Jim Kostecky is that the right; I think that handsome dude to the left might be --- ME?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 09:53:51 PM »
Billy did say that the Apteryx was a definite impact on the USA-1 design as far as looks and aesthetics were concerned.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 01:16:37 AM »
>>Billy did say that the Apteryx was a definite impact on the USA-1 design as far as looks and aesthetics were concerned.<<

Looking at the picture, I'd say more like dead ringer. Hey, the guy can tell cool when he sees it.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 12:56:19 PM »
Hi Guys,
Well, Dennis posting some pictures motivated me to dig through my own magazine collection and I have come up with some images of the the 3 planes I talked about so I am going to try and post 2 plans and a side view picture. ( this is my 1st attempt at posting pictures)

First, from May, 64  MAN, you have Jerry Worth's "Electra X-35" that featured the distinctive swooping fuselage/rudder shape that were featured on several of these dinstinctive planes. It also featured a rounded rear fuselage with a sub fin that was seen on several later designs.
 Second , from Aug. 65 MAN, you have Gerry Flaugher's "Midas" again with that distinctive swooping rudder but with totally a different rear fuselage shape.
Third, from January 1967 MAN, you have Jim Van Loo's "Mystere" which also has that distictive rudder shape but this time in a turtle deck rear fuselage.
Even though it has a a turtle deck I doubt any knowledgable person would confuse Mystere's shape with a Nobler-Ares-Detroiter style airplane.

Dennis, when you start looking a little closer you can almost see how these "New Wave" designers influenced each other as the designs evolved
that by 69 resulted in the "Mirage".

Dennis, do you know when Dave Gierke entered the timeline with his airplanes because some of  his planes might be considered "New Wave" as well.  I am sure that their are other guys we have overlooked.

Traditional classic planes are graceful and timeless, modern airplanes are optimally functional and finish out beautifully but "New Wave" airplanes were exciting just because because they had  "bold new shapes" that only got better with a beautiful finish. Some of these designs may be considered lacking in sufficient side area compared to modern designs but perhaps counter-rotating electric power might mitigate those issues in the future.
Anyway, I still think these are exciting and appealing airplanes.

Hi Randy and Bill,

Bill, in what year was the USA-1 created? I don't think I have ever known the date. Anyway, thanks for joining in with your info.

Randy, wouldn't you love to compare the plans for the Apteryx and the USA-1 side by side and see where these 2 creative guys are alike and also how they differ.
Or, to heck with doing a comparison , I would just love to have a set of plans for the Apteryx. ;D   Randy, I want to thank you for joining in as well.

Hi Doc, Yep, "New Wave" does have a nice ring to it.  I haven't looked closely at the Mirage plan but Jerry Worth's "Electra X-35" has something like 25+ ribs per panel and it is an I-beam wing design. If the external look of the plane is the same when the wing is covered then I don't see why there would be any problem. Folks re-engineer classic planes all the time for greater strength or to build lighter or build more accurate like a molded leading edge instead of a carved leading edge and etc. . I guess some purists would insist on building just like the original using only Ambroid glue but to me it is more about the design and the shape than what is under the paint in a classic airplane . To each his own. 

Guys, I want to thank you all for weighing in , this is an interesting discussion about some very special airplanes that to some degree have been overlooked by builders and ,who know's ,if we all succeed in creating a viable name like "New Wave" it might generate new interest and new building of these exciting airplanes ,which would only enrich all our flight circles.

Pat Robinson

« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 06:18:55 AM by PatRobinson »

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 04:22:35 PM »
Billy has a picture of his "USA-1" flying in 1969.  He had see Jerry Worth's planes and liked the looks.  The *First* USA-1 had a very different rear line to the rudder/fuselage rear.  The rudder came straight down (at a consistent angle) from the tip to the bottom of the fuselage.  He modified that to the "present" configuration in '69.  I would have to ask him, but I am fairly sure the plane came into existance in 1969, since I never have heard him mention anything about 1968 when we were discussing the "Classic Legality" several years ago. (hence the *dated* picture from 1969)

As to the Apteryx, the shapes are very, very, similar.  But, the numbers (moments, airfoil, etc., ) are different according to The Man.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 08:28:22 PM »
Hi Bill,

In my message to Randy Powell, I alluded to the differences I would expect between the Apteryx and the USA-1 and how interesting it would be to compare 2 planes with similar styling features to see how each designer went about creating a plane to meet their own personal flying requirements.

Airfoils, moments , flaps as % of wing area, tail volume and etc., etc.
I would think the differences would be in the details which would all probably add up to a very different flying plane. Designers may inspire each others styling but a good builder will usually wrap a given shape around a proven numbers that have been tried and tested in the air.

Bill, thanks for the 1969 date for the USA-1. I tend ,to usually, tie airplanes to their magazine article but I don't remember a construction article for the USA-1, so I was a little vague on the date.

Bill thanks for your usual informative input.  Thanks!

Pat Robinson

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 10:26:09 PM »
Billy has a picture of his "USA-1" flying in 1969.  He had see Jerry Worth's planes and liked the looks.  The *First* USA-1 had a very different rear line to the rudder/fuselage rear.  The rudder came straight down (at a consistent angle) from the tip to the bottom of the fuselage.  He modified that to the "present" configuration in '69.  I would have to ask him, but I am fairly sure the plane came into existance in 1969, since I never have heard him mention anything about 1968 when we were discussing the "Classic Legality" several years ago. (hence the *dated* picture from 1969)

As to the Apteryx, the shapes are very, very, similar.  But, the numbers (moments, airfoil, etc., ) are different according to The Man.

Pix 1 is the USA-1 in its original form, taken at 1969 NATs
Pix 2 for reference is the Novi 4 - note same setting fr pix, also taken at 1969 NATs
Jerry Worth's Apteryx ws alos at the 1969 NATs.

I believe the story was tha Billy restyled the original USA-1 into the form we know today soon after those NATs; I do not recall ever seeing that airplane in that form again.  I think Billy flew the more familiar USA-1 at the Team Selections in 1969.  I recall him and Jerry comparing their airplanes - they did not have the same "numbers" but the appearance was

Dennis, do you know when Dave Gierke entered the timeline with his airplanes because some of  his planes might be considered "New Wave" as well.  I am sure that their are other guys we have overlooked.

Pat Robinson
very similar.

My read on Dave G's deisgns: I would consider the Novi-1 (1966?) and Novi-4 (1969) to fall in to the "New Wave" category.  Novi-3 (1967) and All American Eagle (1968) I would classify as "Jets":

* ALL jets are Trikes (but not all trikes are jets!)
* ALL jets have the canopy over the nose (no mid fuse cockpits please!)
* ALL jets have Very real - or stylized "Jet intakes" (but darned few had exhausts!)

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 11:45:21 PM »
Dennis,

Here's a picture, dated 1965 Nats, of the Novi I.

I think you can have a wing mounted gear in a Jet, just not a fuse mounted gear --- unless it's a trike.   LL~
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 11:57:02 PM »
Terrific - that pix also has Silhavy's blue Gypsy (35)!

Tail Dragger Jet: Kostecky's Talon had very dramatic jet intakes and exhausts - but it was a tail dragger, with wing mounted gear!  Thus I guess it fits the definition of "jet" better than most...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 08:16:17 AM »
Hi Guys,
Wow!  This is getting good.  ;D #^ y1

Dennis thanks for a viable definition of "Jet Style" Stunt Planes as I think it should make it easier to figure out what is or is not a "New Wave" Stunt Plane.

I guess the next thing to do is create a list of  "New Wave" stunt planes so everybody could be on the same page about these designs. Dennis,you and your family have a lot of available stunt history to reference do you think you
you could begin a list that others could help out by adding to. Wynn Paul would obviously be a great source of imformation ,as well. Don't worry, I am not trying to volunteer you for a job I am just thinking out loud about a possibility.  What do you think?

Something happened around 1964 -65 where the styling of stunt planes began to shift and evolve to new ,different an sometimes bolder shapes and it kept right on evolving to the point that by the late 70's and early 80's I heard people bemoaning the lack of any "Nobler-Ares-Detroiter" style airplanes.

Someone could honestly ask , "What's the point in all this naming and creating a list, because people are going to build what they like anyway, no matter what you call it.  My only answer is by giving these designs a name and maybe creating a list of them we could increase awareness of them in the minds of more builders who have either never seen them or have just forgotten them over the passage of time. No, I am not proposing to change classic rules in some way, but just to increase awareness of great designs.

Dennis, thanks also for your pictures and for your information on Dave Gierke's airplanes.  I think your USA-1 picture and explaination confirms everything "Big Bear" Bill had to say about it  and it is nice to see your rare picture of the original configuration. Good Stuff !!

Dennis do you know if plans for the Apteryx have ever been available? It would be a shame for an inovative and beautiful plane like that to be lost.

Dennis, I have never seen  the plans or pictures of the Kostecky "Talon" but
it sounds like it conforms to your definition of "Jet Style" to me.

Hi Randy,  Thanks for the Novi picture. I have the magazine article but this is the 1st time I have seen this plane in color.  Now as for your explaination of  "jet style" landing gear - ??? n~ ??? n~ LL~  - Huuumm  D>K

Randy, do you know of any other designs, that you would consider, to also be "New Wave"style.  You seem to be someone with an affinity for this style of airplane who has done his part to keep them flying, so I would value your input.

Thanks guys, this has been very interesting. It started with me looking at some old plans in a new and different way that seems to have struck a chord of interest with other guys out there.  This has been good.

Pat Robinson

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 10:21:07 AM »
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for that picture.  The only one I had seen of the "first tail" was one Billy hasd of him holding it.  I spent a lot of hours talking with him as I built mine several years ago.  Under 56 oz. or so (thin airfoil) the USA-1 is a KILLER! 

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7252.0;attach=21539;image

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 02:16:30 PM »
Hi Guys,
Wow!  This is getting good.  ;D #^ y1

I guess the next thing to do is create a list of  "New Wave" stunt planes so everybody could be on the same page about these designs. Dennis,you and your family have a lot of available stunt history to reference do you think you you could begin a list that others could help out by adding to. Wynn Paul would obviously be a great source of imformation ,as well. Don't worry, I am not trying to volunteer you for a job I am just thinking out loud about a possibility.  What do you think?

Something happened around 1964 -65 where the styling of stunt planes began to shift and evolve to new, different an sometimes bolder shapes and it kept right on evolving to the point that by the late 70's and early 80's I heard people bemoaning the lack of any "Nobler-Ares-Detroiter" style airplanes.

Dennis, thanks also for your pictures and for your information on Dave Gierke's airplanes.  I think your USA-1 picture and explaination confirms everything "Big Bear" Bill had to say about it  and it is nice to see your rare picture of the original configuration. Good Stuff !!

Dennis do you know if plans for the Apteryx have ever been available? It would be a shame for an inovative and beautiful plane like that to be lost.

Dennis, I have never seen  the plans or pictures of the Kostecky "Talon" but
it sounds like it conforms to your definition of "Jet Style" to me.

Hi Randy,  Thanks for the Novi picture. I have the magazine article but this is the 1st time I have seen this plane in color.  Now as for your explaination of  "jet style" landing gear - ??? n~ ??? n~ LL~  - Huuumm  D>K

Thanks guys, this has been very interesting. It started with me looking at some old plans in a new and different way that seems to have struck a chord of interest with other guys out there.  This has been good.

Pat Robinson

PAT: Responses here indicate you had a HECK of an idea for the thread in the first place!

I think when the Jets started showing up they wre very exciting.  Trike gears, swept flying surfaces (especially those FINS!) were all the rage.  Over time the pendulum swung back some and a lot of elements of the jets were melded with th eclassic or functional designs.  Over time I think we have swung back to "classic" shapes - but there seems to be a lot of interest in the Jets again!

Rather than list all the designs (I still have a day job!) I think it is cool to just have a category to identify with them with.   I'm not sure I am smart enough to put them all in the right list either!  Not sure we have covered ALL the designs:
* Where would you put the Hunt's Genesis, Casale's original black Spectrum, or my Orange Crate?  I think they  belong in ANOTHER group; before this thread started I would have thought of THOSE as "New Wave"!  Maybe we should call them "punk rockers"! LL~
* Also, there is a big distinction between Semi Scale and the "Scale" group (Rabe, et al) - seems inadequate to paint them with the same brush.

About the Apteryx - I am not aware of any Plans for it.  Unless someone knows how to contact Jerry Worth I am not sure how else to even TRY to get any.

Brother Big Bear:  This is the only pix I ever remember seeing of the original USA-1.  I think the bottom of the fin radius up into the straight line at the back of the wing.  With the later fin I thin the rear fuselage sahpe was retained - with the fin offset forward.

Pat: Copy of Talon article below, but I have lost the main TEXT!  Anyhow, note the add-on "jet intakes/exhuasts" and the stab fairings - but with a tail dragger layout..
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 04:10:04 PM »
Brother Big Bear:  This is the only pix I ever remember seeing of the original USA-1.  I think the bottom of the fin radius up into the straight line at the back of the wing.  With the later fin I thin the rear fuselage sahpe was retained - with the fin offset forward.

Hi Dennis,

On the later USA-1, Billy cut the center section out at the rear of the rudder, so that it virtually matches the Apteryx......  he told me he got real tired of that first rudder shape real quick. :D

I gotta build me another USA-1! LOL!!

Bill <><
P.S.  tell your Dad that I hope to see him again, real soon. :D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 07:38:48 PM »
I guess I am going to have to dig out my CD's that Tom Wilk made of all the stunt planes thru the years.  I can't remember all of the planes, but, he tried to get every publidhed design on the different discs.  It was fun to see a picture of a young Alan Brickhouse, Bobby Hunt and quite a few others.  If the Apertyx was published it would be on his disc.  Later and have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 09:46:22 PM »
>>Something happened around 1964 -65 where the styling of stunt planes began to shift and evolve to new ,different an sometimes bolder shapes...<<

I imagine it had something to do with points for originality and realism.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 09:56:01 AM »
I've always considered that Bart Klapinski's Nat's winning Tempest fits into this listing. Would you agree, or not?

Trike gear is one of the features that seem to be shared, at least in the beginning, with many of the designs of this era.

Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 09:26:11 PM »
John:
I think you are right on about the Tempest - doesn't quite achieve "Jet" status but definitely not Classic either.  I thnk it is a good example of melding the Jet and the classic elements together into something else all together.

Here's a couple other "left coast" designs (actually I think they are the same) Tom Worden's Minado & Bob Whitley's Continental.  I cannot "date" these but I think they are something like 1970 or 71 - anybody know for sure?

Are these "Classic" (my vote) or "New Wave" (due to their modern look)???
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 11:11:25 AM »
DENNIS...WOW!
THESE LAST TWO...ARE TRULY THE TIP-TOP OF THE BEAUTY CHAIN!!!

YOU SHOULD PUT TOGETHER A COFFEE TABLE PICTURE BOOK...with that great collection of pristene stunt models...Keep them commmmin' Thanks for the memories...Dennis~! H^^ H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 03:18:06 PM »
I heard a rumor that Bill Sawyer was considering kitting a Continental. Now, that would be worth building.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 05:31:44 PM »
Hi Guys,
this is the third time I have started on a reply, so hopefully the 3rd time is the charm. hopefully I remember some of it.

First, Dennis I want to thank you for your pictures and your insightful input about this topic.Well Done!  CLP** CLP**

Second , when I started this thread I thought stunt plane came in just a few "Design Styles" which broke down into following :

"Traditional" style that came in 2 forms ,the turtledeck form like Nobler-Ares-Strathmoor type of plane ,and the top block-canopy form like Playboy, Skylark, Thunderbird type of airplane .

"Scale-Stunt" were airplanes that derived their basic form from a real airplane and it could be a p-51, or PT-19 or Stuka or an F-86 Sabre jet, it didn't matter. A plane mostly based on a real jet is a "Scale-Stunt" airplane and not a "Jet-Style" airplane for example.

"Jet Style" to me were airplanes that were both "Non Traditional" and not "Scale Stunt" airplanes. To me a "Jet Style" design was an original design that incorporated jet-like design elements in it's shape.  I viewed every thing from the Novi through the Stiletto's to Bob Hunts Genesis and beyond as "Jet Style airplanes.  Bob Hunt in his post clearly stated that he considered his Genesis to be a "New Wave" design so I had to rethink what I thought, actually were, "Jet Style" airplanes. Needless to say I was  a little confused.

Then comes along one Dennis A, "Esquire", ;D with rules defining what elements constitute a "Jet Style" design and by the process of elimination what is a "New Wave" design airplane.  This provided some clarity.
( Note* Given your Talon post I think your rules should say "Most Jets are )(trikes" instead of "All Jets are trikes".  ;D ;D                                         )

Dennis , I think a simple 2 step process should make classifying airplanes somewhat easier.

1. Ask the question is this plane a "Scale Stunt" or "Traditional" design style?
    If NO , proceed to question 2.

2. Ask the question does this plane meet the the requirements for a
  "Jet Style" design.
    If No, then the airplane is classified as a "New Wave" style of design.

Dennis, I think this process may make it easier to classify the planes you brought up. The Genesis is as Bob said a "New Wave" design. Is your Orange Crate a "Traditional" style of design? I would say the answer is No. Is it a "Jet Style" design again the answer is No. So your Orange Crate would be a "New Wave" design.  The 3 airplanes I started this thread about the Mystere, Midas, and Electra X-35, are all ,Not, "Traditional" Style airplanes but are also ,Not, "Jet Style" airplanes so I would say they are "New Wave" designs.

The Tempest, John mentioned, is also ,Not, a "Traditional" design style of airplane and it is ,Not, "Jet Style so it too is a "New Wave" design. By the way, John thanks for your post, I appreciate you mentioning the Tempest.

Now Dennis, the 2 Tom Warden designs "The Continental" and the "Minado" are based on the "Playboy" which is a "Traditional" design and I would consider both of these planes to be of a "Traditional" Design Style.  

The real key to this process is to decide if a plane is of a "Traditional" Design Style or Not , and then just use your rules to see it is "Jet Style" or Not. Dennis does that work for you? To me it is easier to look at a plane a say "Traditional" or "Non-Traditional" when trying to classify it.

The neat thing about all of this , to me, is that we finally have a "cool" name for all those wonderful "Non Traditional" styled stunt planes.

As far as the Apteryx plans go, sometimes designs just get lost over time and we are all lucky that  people have done the work to preserve as many planes and stunt heritage as we now have available.

Dennis thanks again for your thoughtful contributions to this thread.

Big Bill, Got a question for ya!  ;D  
Exactly where would this new USA-1 fit into your building "Priority List".
I haven't kept count but it seems you have mentioned a lot of different projects either underway or in the planning stages so I was wondering how this new USA-1 would fit in all of that  . You be a busy , busy boy.  :P LL~

Doc, thank you for mentioning the CD's. I bet they would be an Ideal way to do research on airplanes. Going through a "Gazillion" magazines to find the few things you are actually looking for is tedious , and time consuming and gets old quick. It was very smart of you to bring it up in the context of classifying airplanes. I need to get a set of these CD's myself but I just hadn't got around to doing it yet. Oh Well.  ::)

Randy, you may have a point about the points for originalty and realism impacting design in the mid 60's. Good thinking on your part.
In addition, I also think that bold, original and new design is also it's own reward because it satisfies the human need to create, so well. Thanks Randy!
P.S. I believe you are correct about Bill Sawyer and the Continental kit and the Continental is a beautiful plane.

So Shultzie,
Would you consider your Avenger and other designs to be "Jet Style" or to be
"New Wave" style of design? Inquiring minds want to know!  LL~ LL~ y1 n~ LL~ LL~

Once again, I want to thank everyone for your contribution. This has been an interesting and thoughtful thread because of you guys.  Good Stuff!!

Pat Robinson

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 08:42:42 PM by PatRobinson »

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 07:33:09 PM »
John:
I think you are right on about the Tempest - doesn't quite achieve "Jet" status but definitely not Classic either.  I thnk it is a good example of melding the Jet and the classic elements together into something else all together.

Here's a couple other "left coast" designs (actually I think they are the same) Tom Worden's Minado & Bob Whitley's Continental.  I cannot "date" these but I think they are something like 1970 or 71 - anybody know for sure?

Are these "Classic" (my vote) or "New Wave" (due to their modern look)???

Dennis, thanks for the reminder of these two designs. Tom Lay brought the original Minado, the plum colored one, to an early VSC. He flew it there in Classic. said it bottomed like a chopped and lowered 49 Merc. The plane was simply gorgeous. I believe Tom said that there was at least 8 different shades of purple on the plane.

Anyway, the Minado is Classic legal, and the Continental, and to some degree, the Playboy are all basically the same design as done by several different builders. Norm Whittle (Playboy) is basically my source for this info. I know he monitors the forums, so if I'm wrong, perhaps he'll enter in and set me straight.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 08:35:08 AM »
Big Bill, Got a question for ya!  ;D
Exactly where would this new USA-1 fit into your building "Priority List".
I haven't kept count but it seems you have mentioned a lot of different projects either underway or in the planning stages so I was wondering how this new USA-1 would fit in all of that  . You be a busy , busy boy.  LL~

Hi Pat,

The USA-1 is not going to be on the table real soon.  But, then again............!!!!!!!!!  It is so easy to frame one up that I might just do it on the spur of the moment.  Aaron, and I, have cut all the small parts to build 2 '62 Ares so I could build one of those at any time, also.  I have never had a '62 Ares, only the '58 and '59.  I have already had the USA-1 and now a Vulcan, so I am closing in on Billy's Classic planes! LL~  The Super Ares, however, had never really tripped my trigger.  :o

The Hunt Mustang *should* be the next plane off the boards.  A set of Lampione Sabre wings are built and sitting in their lost foam cradles waiting!  Plus I have two other planes near completion, and a Randy Smith *Classic* to build from foam cores.  There's a Werwage P-47, Genesis 46, Formula S, a magazine article plane, and a few more sets of foam cores in the shop.  All projects accumulated over the recent past, one thing at a time.  So, I am not even sure what I am doing! LOL!!!!!!!!

You will be among the very first to know what is next, though. ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 09:27:51 AM »
Hi Guys,

John, this isn't Dennis or Norm Whittle but I did do some archive checking on SSW and on Mar-02-2005 Norm Whittle posted the history of his 1968 version of the Playboy.
Jim Mayfield designed the original eliptical wing Playboy in 1964. Jim was helping 18 yr old Norm and he decided eliplical wing might be too difficult so he drew up a straight taper wing. Norm changed canopy location, wingtips and the tail and rudder  and then built the plane.

Norm sold the plane to Tom Warden and then the Minado was built as the direct decendant of the Playboy.  Next came the Continental which was a D-tube version version of the Minado. Norm's post confirms all of what you said John.

I am enclosing 2 shots of the Playboy and 1 shot  each of the plum colored Minado and a Continental (picture says Bob Whitely so I assume it is Bob's):

Big Bill,  Like I said earlier: You Be a Busy , Busy, Busy
 Boy !!    #^ #^ n~ #^ n~ LL~ LL~

John and Bill thanks for weighing in .                                                   
                    Pat Robinson                                                             
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 10:16:05 AM by PatRobinson »

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2007, 11:22:34 AM »
I totally forgot!!!!!  I have everything necessary to build a Playboy from Bill Sawyer.  I think it is a VERY SEXY (no pun intended, ie: Playboy!) stunt plane!

That one is another MUST DO!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 02:39:29 PM »
>>Something happened around 1964 -65 where the styling of stunt planes began to shift and evolve to new ,different an sometimes bolder shapes...<<

I imagine it had something to do with points for originality and realism.

I guarantee it had something to do with originality. I remember (as a very young lad) standing in the processing line at the Glenview Nats in 1966 and saw Jim Silhavy's otherwise PERFECT plane get dinged for originality. I think he still ended up with 35 points or so (we were in awe of his finish and workmanship), but Jim started his career with a Nobler and the Gypsy looked a lot like a Nobler, so.... :'(   I have a photo of this plane and hope to get it converted to digital someday.

Anyway, we were also intrigued by Dave Gierke's jet style stunter. He had an incredible amount of cockpit detail, miltary decals, and PANEL lines everywhere. I'm pretty sure he was one of the first to do panel lines.

The Navy Nats were a great place for a young man to learn about model aviation. I'll always cherish those memories.

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 04:28:18 PM »
You would almost think that either the Air Force or Navy would want to pick the NATS back up out of the reasons the Navy forst hosted them.   Advertising dollars can be spent in the millions for NASCAR sponsorship, which is a dwindling fan base, so a few hundred thousand to sponsor a NATS and get the publicity of that would not be a huge investment.

Bases can be monitored just as strictly as they are now.......  face it, if a crazy wants to do something, he will. 

What cha' think, Ron??
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2007, 10:54:51 PM »
The Navy hosted the Nats strictly for recruiting. They started around 1955 and kept going until most of the Baby Boomers were in college and the recruiting stream slowed down. The Navy kept a very close eye on Nats attendance and when the average age started climbing, they started looking elsewhere for recruits.

I can remember when there were 20 - 30 Seniors and Juniors competing in Stunt; today there are 2 or 3. Hardly a fertile recruiting area. The parade's gone by.  :'( :'(

Ron

Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2007, 06:08:19 PM »
Hi Guys,

Hi Ron,
Like I said to Randy you could very well be right that originalty points was the real driving force that changed the look of stunt design back then.
In fact, Your Silhavy story pretty well confirms that to be a valid motivation for the change that occured.

Many of todays airplanes have been adapted to work with the pipes and power systems we have today. The "Traditional Style" of yesterday has been updated to what I guess could be called a "Neo-Traditional Style" that captures the "feel", of planes from the past, but functions as a modern PA machine. Many of these new planes like their "Traditional predecessors had a certain "sameness" in their overall shape, but are each, an inividual finished work of art.
There are still original minded guys like Randy Powell ( look at photos of his framed but unfinished new plane) that are creating outside a "conventional style of design" box.  I also know that to a certain degree the expression "form follows function" also does apply to a modern plane design.

This brings me to wonder what would happen to modern design if "originality points" were added back to appearance scoring. What wonderful shapes and forms would be created as a result of that change.  What do you guys think?

Electric power is another force that will probably drive airplane design change just as tuned pipe power systems was a driving force in current airplane design.  So far, electric planes seem more often to be adapted from IC design rather than a fresh electric design that started from a blank sheet of paper.
Ron, you are someone who personally know's something about electric power so where do you see electric design going? 

Ron, your post was thought provoking and I appreciate your input.

Hey Big Bill,
I also have a "Playboy kit but I am still waiting on my motor from the tuner so I haven't started on it yet. I plan to incorporate part of Norm Whittle's paint design but change the colors ( see above photo for paint design ).

Bill, do you like the term "New Wave" design ? 
Does the terms "Scale-Stunt" design and "Traditional Design" work for you?
Does Dennis A's definition of "Jet Style" work for you?
Bill,would you agree ,that If a design is Not Scale-Stunt and is also Not Traditional, and, in addition,  does not meet the rules for "Jet Style" then it should be called a "New Wave" design.

I guess for me, the point is that there were a lot of wonderful, unconventional designs created that finally deserve to have a "cool name" to describe them.
That is why I started this whole thread. What do you think?

Ron and Bill, I want to thank both of your for weighing in. Thanks!

Pat Robinson

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2007, 06:30:46 AM »
This brings me to wonder what would happen to modern design if "originality points" were added back to appearance scoring. What wonderful shapes and forms would be created as a result of that change.  What do you guys think?

Electric power is another force that will probably drive airplane design change just as tuned pipe power systems was a driving force in current airplane design.  So far, electric planes seem more often to be adapted from IC design rather than a fresh electric design that started from a blank sheet of paper.
Ron, you are someone who personally know's something about electric power so where do you see electric design going? 

Pat,

I'm not sure I want to start another discussion regarding appearance points. That's very dangerous ground to tread.  S?P VD~

I am just as guilty as anyone with my designs. My Alouettes were born from the knowledge I gained during all my years watching and flying CLPA models. I was fortunate to meet Bill Netzband before I turned 13 and learned a lot about design and quality workmanship from him and others in the Tulsa Glue Dobbers. Thus, my planes looked like bigger Noblers until I switched to a flat rear deck and bubble canopy for the latest versions. I now feel there is enough fuselage side area with my piped plane to make the turtledeck optional.

We can talk more about electrics, but I will go to that forum to do so. The bottom line is electric power is merely another form of propulsion. The aerodynamic requirements are the same, so external design changes can be minimal. Internal design is another story. 

As Dennis Adamisin notes, today's pipe tunnel is tomorrow's battery box.  LL~ LL~

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2007, 10:15:05 AM »
Hi Pat,

"New Wave" is a very nice sounding name. ;D  Old Time, Classic, Jet, Scale, New Wave, Modern.  Whew....... a lot to keep up with! ;D

About "Originality" and AP, not wanting to start everyone back onto that, but since you are very much closer to Club headquarters, and can get to many more meetings than I can, maybe you can tell me why the MCLS decided to drop the BOM/AP at our meets??  No one, so far, has done so for me.

THANKS!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2007, 09:20:34 PM »
I've been following this thread with great interest.

The problem (for me) with using the term "New Wave", is that was the same term given to an early 80's style of music and dress. Upon hearing it, I instantly get visions of neon clothing, checkered shoes, and MTV pop videos.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2007, 01:02:10 PM »
Hi Guys,

Well I put a post on here yesterday that is not here. I have been having issues with my DSL provider. Anyway, I wiil try again.  HB~>

Okay, The First thing I want to do is to apologize to everyone for not effectively communicating ,clearly, what I WAS trying to discuss.
 I have absolutely NO interest in starting any discussion about appearance points or the, ever dreaded, BOM or even bringing it up as a topic.

What I was trying to do was build on Ron King's assertion that "originalty points" were a major driving force in the explosion of new and different design styles that occured in the early 60's that continued even beyond the classic era.  I brought up the hypothetical possibility of adding "originalty points" back to appearance judging.

( I am NOT advocating for or against this or any other rule. The focus and )(point of my discussion was only THE POSSIBILITY for NEW DESIGN        )

I have no interest in discussing any rules , my only intent was to discuss Possibilities for new design. I am sorry I didn't communicate that more clearly.

For example, The early 60's were a time of societal change where questioning and challenging the "status quo" commonly occured in many areas of life and perhaps stunt airplane design was just another area where change happened.
So , I am not exactly sure that adding "originality points" , today,  would lead to the same trend of sweeping airplane-design change that started in the early
60's.  It could very well be that what happened in the 60's  was a one time and unrepeatable event in history and "lightning really doesn't strike twice".
It could also be true that 10 -15 extra "originalty points" could actually have an impact in closely contested NAT's competition. I don't know the answer  and that subject was not the point of my discussion.
My hyothetical "originalty points" was simply a "tool" to jump start a discussion about new possibilities for airplane design.

Another aspect to consider, when discussing New Design possibilities,  is that ,"Form Follows Function" ,which is to say that there may be a finite number of shape configurations that will produce a viable and competitive design. Have we exhausted all of those options, in the many decades that stunt has been flown, or do new possibilities still exist ?

Ron King, when asked about design changes created by electrics said that the
"aerodynamic requirements" are the same for both IC engines and electric motors and is a valid observation with current setups.
On the other hand if you change from a 8-12 ounce 2-stroke engine to a 15 oz. 4-stroke engine you will probably change your design by shortening the nose by several inches because the "Form Follows Function" to produce a workable design so a change in power can and will change the design.

However, new technology is near, like counter-rotating prop electric systems.
A clever guy, named Randy Smith related to me that he used his counter-rotating prop system on a plane that didn't have enough side area to handle precession problems, and solved those problems by using that system.
So, It may be that these new systems may open the door to a wider range of design styles that can still deliver the performance required.

Bob Hunt's electric twin and others who are also trying electric twins may also open the door to make twin powered stunt planes more common for the rest of us which in and of itself would be a significant change in design.

I think we all admire guys like Bob Hunt, who see new possibilities and then acts to make them real, that expands"what is possible", that keeps our hobby fresh for the rest of us. Ron, I guess these are the kind of design possibilities for electric planes, I was asking about but may not have said it as clearly as I should. Sorry.  In any event, Ron, I want to thank you for your input.

Hey Big Bill,

I want to thank you for your answers and your input which is always welcome.

Let me see if I can clear up some of these terms that are getting tossed around in this thread to provide a little clarity.

First we have terms for "Time Periods" in the history of stunt.
     Old Time
     Classic
     Modern

Second we have terms for "Design Styles" to help us describe different airplanes.  The reason I started this thread is that I saw a gap where there was no term to describe a whole group of wonderful airplanes with similar design qualities so I asked "what do you call them?" and Bob Hunt weighed in with Bill Simon's term "New Wave".

Now, Here are the list of Design Styles:

Classic Era: During the Classic era I see 4 "Design Styles" that evolved and continued to be used even past the classic era.

"Scale Stunt" : Any plane that derived it's basic form or design intent from a real airplane, I would consider to be a Scale Stunt design. F-86 Sabre , Stuka , P-51 Mustang and etc. should all be considered Scale Stunt even if liberties were taken from the scale outline.

"Traditional Design" - These airplanes came in 2 forms, the turtledeck form like Nobler and Ares, and the top-block and Canopy form like Thunderbird and Skylark. Even an special design like Gialdini's Olympic seems to fit into the overall "traditional" design style.  There were a lot of planes that fit in this design style to the point it became the "norm" for it's time.

"Non-Traditional Design" - Because "Traditional" design was such a dominant "norm" in stunt design, any airplane that didn't fit in that design style could best be decribed as "Non-Traditional" Design Style.
For those of you who want minimize terms I guess  we could leave it at
1. "Scale Stunt" design , 2.  "Traditional Stunt" design and 
3. "Non Traditional Stunt" design.

However, other terms for some of these "Non-Traditional" stunt designs have already entered common use within the hobby so you really can't put that terminology back in the bottle. A popular term for some of these "Non-Traditional" Style of  stunt designs is "Jet Style" stunter , which has a nice ring to it but that leaves a whole group of other great designs without any name or term to adequately describe them at all. All of which led me to starting this thread to ask what do you call them.

So for the sake of clarity in describing Design Styles I recommend dividing "Non-Traditional" Designs into 2 groups:

"Jet-Style Design Stunters" - I would define a "Jet Style Design" as an original designed plane with "jet like" overall looks, which has "jet-like" design features.
Dennis Adamisin provided these guidelines:
1. Most jets are trikes - but not all trikes are jets.
2. Canopy located over the nose
3. Real or stylized jet intakes

"New Wave Design Stunters" ( or whatever name everyone could agree to)
This term would be used to describe all the other unique "Non-Jet Style" and "Non-Traditional" airplanes that currently don't have a descriptive term.

So Bill that is it. There are only 4 Design Styles and these same four Styles  show up even today in modified form in contemporary stunt designs.
now Bill, does that seem a little clearer, more understandable, and simpler.

The term "modern"is at best vague and has a somewhat limited life span.
What is "Modern" today may be called "Old School" next year. lol  n~ ::) n~ HB~>
The word "Contemporary" is defined in the dictionary as happening at the same time. which means a "comtemporary stunt design" means a design that is currently in use or is currently state of the art.  Randy Smith's latest SV design would be considered a "Contemporary Design" but a 30 year old Stilletto is by the rules considered a "modern" design for use I guess, on someones Plans List, but, it is otherwise, a somewhat less useful descriptive word.
I guess, the term "Modern" is just a catch-all phrase ,we in the stunt world, have used for all the designs that were created after the Classic Era.

Bill, I guess to whole point of this whole terminology discussion is to facilitate all of us being able to more easily and accurately communicate with each other when describing various Design Styles and hopefully by giving a name to a whole group of designs we may increase our awareness of them.

Now Bill, I may very well be barking up the wrong tree ,and a lot of guys out there may not give a "rat's ka-toot" about any of these terms and about this whole discussion and might see it as a total waste of time.  If that is the case, well then, so be it.  I am okay either way, but I saw something that I thought needed to be asked about and I am glad that I did because of all the thoughtful responses that have been posted in this thread.
Once again Bill, thanks for joining into the discussion.

Clint, One thing you might keep in mind that the term "New Wave" for a description of stunt design was used over a decade before the the music fad New Wave occured so the "stunt term" takes precedence over the music term.

However, Clint, if you simply can't live with the term "New Wave" please feel free to suggest some other "Cool" name that would suggest the same departure from the "norm" that is expressed in the term "New Wave".
Asking for names was the main reason I started this thread, so feel free to have at it, with some other name. Go for it!  Also,Clint, Thanks for weighing in, as I would never have even thought that music fad at all. Thanks!  y1 y1

Hopefully, this post brings a little more clarity that avoids misunderstandings about what I am trying to communicate.  Again, thank guys for your input.

Pat Robinson

« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 08:02:20 AM by PatRobinson »

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2007, 06:38:55 PM »
Pat, it's a difference in generations. Being born in 1969 didn't exactly let me experience the heyday of C/L stunt. It did, however, put me smack dab in the middle of the 1980's  "New Wave" music era as a teenager. Ah yes, I remember it well.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
I'm with Pat on this design thing.  From a shape standpoint, designs (all types) had to figure out how to package a typical IC engine - and cowl design is a major trademark of our designs.  Go electric and the chin scoop really is not needed, or it can be sculpted to some new shape better suited to cooling the motor and batteries.  Heck the scoop might move well aft like on an F-16!  Cooling an electric motor probably works better with a radial cooling opening or as Rudy Taube (I think) noted side scoops like a Extra 300 might work better.

Building a twin using IC engines is possible - but a chore to campaign.  Thus twins remain a curiousity.  However, an electric twin is so easy its almost cheatin!  Thus I think we will FINALLY see really viable CLPA twins, with lots of potential to be explored.  Don't forget pushers and canards - these get easier too as the powerplant masses can move to favorable locations.

Did I mention practical Retract systems?

Not to worry, there will ALWAYS be room for the dirt simple designs, and there will still be lots of profiles too.  Only those profiles will not get there noses vibrated off by an IC engine..!

Stay tuned, the best is still coming!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2007, 11:23:53 PM »
Dennis,

I've already got some wild ideas for cowl design in an electric. I think you could do a lot of interesting things with that small, round motor in the front.  :##
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2007, 07:00:55 AM »
Dennis,

I've already got some wild ideas for cowl design in an electric. I think you could do a lot of interesting things with that small, round motor in the front.  :##

AMEN!  Looking forward to your TWINS too!

I think it will also be fun as some of the shapes get "re-interpreted" with electric design features.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2007, 06:53:31 PM »
Hi Guys,
I have been out celebrating my birthday today ,so I haven't had time jump back into this thread, till now.

Seeing as how this is the classic forum , I guess I should steer things back on topic, so we don't poach posts from the electric or design forums.

What led us to Dennis Adamisin's and Randy Powell's fascinating posts about design possibilities was the earlier suggestion by Randy Powell and the follow-on assertion by Ron King that "originality points" in appearance was the key driver in the explosion of new shapes and new design that started in the early 60's.  I asked what designs could be created if you hypothetically added back "originalty points" today.

The topic was NOT the rule change but was "design change" possible or likely in today's society, and more importantly, what kind of  design change would be possible in this era of refined contemporary stunt design.

This led me to posit that "Form Follows Function" and so I said design will need to conform to new power systems like 4-stroke and electric. A change in the power system will of necessity create a change in the design. The move to the ST-60 opened the possibility for thicker airfoils like the Patternmaster and the move to pipes required that fuselages get deeper to house a pipe tunnel.
In each case, a change in function , that is," power system" required or allowed a change in Form , which is "airplane design".

Dennis and Randy then took the ball and ran with it to some very interesting places in possible new electric design.

Was it really the added appearance points or was it just because that time in history was a period of sweeping changes throughout society ,and stunt design became just another part of those changes. I don't know of any major technological changes occuring in the early 60's that would have caused it.

It just seemed, during that time, there were a group of guys willing to do things differently and try different things and they seemed to to inspire and motivate each other to create new, bold and inovative designs and shapes. Maybe, It just comes down to the fact that at a given moment in time, our hobby was lucky enough to have people with the "vision" to see a new possibility for design and the drive to step beyond the status quo and create something new.  To those gentlemen I say Bravo!! and Well Done!!!.  CLP**

As you read Dennis and Randy discuss design or if you are lucky enough to talk to Bob Hunt you will know that there are still people with the vision to see new possibilities for design and have demonstrated the drive to create it, which to my mind, is very good news, Indeed!  ;D  y1

I guess, it was my respect for those gentlemen and their work that moved me to start this thread. It just seemed that these "Non-Traditional" creations should finally have an appropriate name which led me to ask the question that started this thread.

Like I told Bill Little, I could be "dead wrong" and nobody else cares about these designs and their place in history ,or perhaps ,it is just that, no one else cares about creating a descriptive name for them.   In that case this will become just another forgotten thread or we on this forum may decide that it is time to bring a new descriptive term into common useage in our hobby in order to honor some special planes and the guys who created them. It is a collective choice.

If Allen Brickhaus and Bob Hunt begin to use the terminolgy in their columns, and writers in Stunt News and Control Line Word use the terminology then it wil enter the vernacular. If guys on Stunt Hanger and SSW use the terminology it will be re-enforced.

I brought all this up because it seemed like the "right thing to do" but if I am wrong , well I have been wrong before and I am still here.  No biggie !  ;D

So to all you forum guys, How do you feel about these design style names ? -  GOOD? - BAD? - INDIFFERENT? - DON'T CARE?

This has been a very interesting thread, so I renew my thanks to all participants. THANKS! 
                                                 Pat Robinson

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2007, 08:43:16 PM »
Pat,

>>What led us to Dennis Adamisin's and Randy Powell's fascinating posts about design possibilities was the earlier suggestion by Randy Powell and the follow-on assertion by Ron King that "originality points" in appearance was the key driver in the explosion of new shapes and new design that started in the early 60's.  I asked what designs could be created if you hypothetically added back "originalty points" today.<<

Truth is, I don't think much about points when I designing or building a plane. Were there still originality points, I would be happy, but it would change how I go about things much. I design and build planes to make me happy, to appeal to my sense of style or in more cases than I'd like to admit, flights of fancy. A lot of it is the influence I had growing up and flying at Whittier Narrows when I was a kid. Those guys would try all sorts of stuff. Also the time I spent as a kid flying Free Flight has a lot to do with my sense of structure. But in the end, I just draw stuff that appeals to me on some level. Were I to just build an Impact or Trivial Pursuit, I'd probably do better as far as scoring. They are solid designs. But they wouldn't appeal to my sense of style and creativity. The stuff I design is pretty middle of the road as far as aerodynamics (now, at least) and I've put my effort into designing shapes, layouts and structures that I like, but in the end, they are not really too far out there. Well, maybe occasionally.

This hobby is a great outlet for anyone that has an artistic sensibility, I guess. You can stay within reasonable design specifications and still come up with some interesting looking aircraft. Unfortunately, my designs often have more in common with Roger Dean than Paul Walker and that my be to my detriment.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2007, 10:17:52 PM »
Happy Birthday to Ty and Pat!

Mine was a couple of weeks ago. Must be a trend.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2007, 11:48:03 AM »
Happy Birthday to all the old farts, and the young'uns, too!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2007, 07:47:19 AM »
Guys, you are not going to believe this:

Attached is an excerpt from Jerry Worth's Electra X-35 article.  It shows what style HE thinks it is...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2007, 11:51:42 AM »
Dennis,

Yea, looks that way. I'd love to read this whole article. Perhaps it would motivate me to finish the partialy completed X-35 that has sat in pieces for about 4 years.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2007, 08:43:58 AM »
Hi Guys,
Where have I been that I haven't kept up with this thread?  n~ n~ n~
Anyway, Let me see if I can catch up a little.

First: Randy, I think most guys would say that they build what they like but the difference is some guys mostly like a "proven design" with a different color scheme or minimal shape changes which minimizes any risk of airplane performance failure for the time they have invested. Other , creative, artistic or inovative personality guys have a whole different palette of what they "like" and they need to create more than just a new color scheme to satisfy their creative desires.  Randy,looking at your wonderful airplanes it is obvious that your "likes" put you squarely in the inovative group, so it is not suprising that rules have little influence on what you create.
 As to your aerodynamics , well, even for the creative person "Form Follows Function" to deliver and dictate form to some extent. If you decided to create a plane to function a different way, say to have it "fly a slower pattern" then the aerodynamics would also have to change to meet this new function. If you change the power source to function differently then a change in airplane form will be required. etc.
Randy would you or any other creative guy be better off and more competitive using a "cookie cutter" version of a proven airplane?  I don't know ,but, I somehow doubt that the experience would be any where near as satisfying and enjoyable as making "new shapes" and then, "making them fly".
Good post Randy- very enlightening!

Ty, I didn't know about these guys occupations, That's interesting. You could be right about that.

To Ty, Randy, Bill, thanks for the birthday well wishes and I send happy birthday wishes right back at ya! (even if you haven't had a recent birthday) ;D

Dennis, Good catch on Jerry Worth's Electra X-35 article. I guess that pretty much makes it official that "New Wave" is a valid and viable term for this plane and other designs of that era and beyond. Bob Hunt said that his Genesis designs were "New Wave" which pretty much confirms that the "New Wave" design style continued on, beyond the classic era.
The important point is that this is a term used back then, by a designer from that period  to describe a "Design Style" that was happening at that period of time rather than just a "made-up" term by some guys on stunt forum, today.
Very well done, Dennis!  y1 y1

Once again, thanks to everyone for your input. Good stuff!

Pat Robinson

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2007, 10:25:14 AM »
Man oh Man, these planes are killing me baby!!! End the builder of the model rule-I don't think so!!!
Windy Urtnowski really said it: "I love all model airplanes but,stunt ships are just so beautiful."
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2007, 11:02:40 AM »
Notice most of the "New Wave" planes kinda looke like low riders? He, he.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2007, 03:29:26 PM »
Hi Randy,
I am not very familiar with low riders so I am not very clear about what you are referencing. I guess this is just another gap in my knowledge that I didn't even know about.  Oh well!  ::) We Be Cool , anyway  8) ;D
                                               Best wishes,
                                                                  Pat Robinson

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here