News:

• May 09, 2024, 09:12:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Avengers Revenge!CSI comes through, problem uncovered  (Read 7875 times)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
The Avengers Revenge!CSI comes through, problem uncovered
« on: May 17, 2009, 01:11:30 PM »
Well,
I deliberated about posting any pictures of the progress on the Avenger, In the long run I figured I might make a lesson from my trials.
I have been working rather feverishly to get her done for theREgionals next weekend. It was going well. I did find some issues during painting that were troublesome but as Randy says all the time, and I agree, a paint job is never done just abandoned so I elected to live with them, the end purpose still being served I felt.
Saturday Wed night last week, and Thursday after work I got the sealer coat on and the base colors. I was pretty happy with the effect I dreamed up, subtle, classy and still unique. so I spent friday after work getting my vinyl cutter up and running. Turns out there are no drivers available for windows Vista to run my cutter so I had to pull out the old desktop machineand hook it back up. long story short I got the cutter working with a few foibles along the way. Lesson learned, when preparing files for Pat to laser cut, they need to be polylines,, if you dont, then the laser tries to cut the line several times over,, not good. the vinyl cutter is the opposite, it cuts the lines multiple times if it IS a polyline,, sigh. Anyway , I got around that and got all my masks cut in Gerber mask ready to spray. i went over to the shop and proceded to spray the color. It all appeared to go well. I wasnt ultimatly thrilled with the one color I picked in the trim but the clear would have made it kick better so it was going to be ok. That is until I pulled the mask from the second wing,, the first one was fine, came up clean and looked pretty good. The second one pulled all the color off the sealar coat! Nothing different, nothing changed it just happened. I still have not decided what actually happened to cause this. I always lecture about using products that are designed to work together, not mixing brands, thinners, material types and such not. The reason I am so adamant about this is that I have used the CORRECT materials and had issues,, so to mix things that are not intended to work together is only compounding an issue already. As you can see, I know personally what can happen even when using the correct materials.
as a way of background, the wing is covered in polyspan and butyrate. After covering, I had concerns about the torsional rigidity of the wing so rather than strip it, I elected to cover over that with silkspan. ultimatly, this added about 2.5 ounces to the finish weight but I figured I had the best of both worlds, the puncture resistance of the polyspan, and the stability of the silkspan so it was worth it. After sanding that, and insureing it was plenty dry, I sprayed a coat of catalysed sealer over the dope to prevent the solvents from swelling the laquer. This again is a security step to insure no interaction between the dope and the top coats. Sealer is intended for exactly that purpose, to prevent undercoat swelling and promote adhesion,, hmmmm. then the top coats were all PPG base coat sprayed at the reccomended mixtures and application times. The model was cleaned between coats, and between mask and spray operations. Still, the issue arose. I have not really determined what happened and I am not sure I will. The strangest part is that it appears to only be on one wing. So bottom line, I have painted cars since about 1981, and despite doing everything right, s**t still happens. hence, knowing that when everythign is apparantly right, things go wrong, why would you even consider shortcutting things and adding another layer of possible problems to the process.
As Pat always tells me,, ( usually after a crash lol) take a bad thing and use it for an oppurtunity. So, this will allow me to go back and correct the little issues that I discovered, and I am contemplating stripping the covering from the wing and just using silkspan to bring it back up again. this will save me at least the 2 and a half ounces I gained by double covering.
so, there, It happens to all of us,, even the "proffesionals" My hope is that you will use this as a lesson to realize, dont add that layer of chance to the finishing process, its challanging enough without it!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 09:09:20 PM by Mark Scarborough »
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: The Avengers Revenge!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 06:19:25 PM »
While I feel your pain, it is nice to know that I'm not the only one that can do everything right and have something go sideways for no apparent reason. I do like the base color. What is that?

Hey man, if you'd shot dope colors...     ;D
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 07:39:55 PM »
Thanks Randy, sad to say, but I figured you could relate to the joy of doing it right and having something happen,
the base is a special concoction of gold ,, then my magic texture technique with a slightly darker gold, then House of Color Pagan gold Candy over that
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 11:27:33 PM »
Neat effect in the paint. Looks like it's going to be real head turner.

So..........howja' doit?
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 05:11:25 AM »
OOPS!

Appears that your mask on the OB wing needed a bit more de-tacking.  Watch some of Windy's videos and he points out that de-tacking masks are extremely important in preventing pull-ups.  It is repairable though, it's really going to be a nice looker too!

Jim Pollock   H^^

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
Mark uses a secret technique involving certain banned rituals in combination with women's undergarments to get that effect. Pretty cool, but not sure it's worth the price.   ;D

I think he plans to strip it all back down to the wood and start over. I appreciate the inclination.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 04:34:41 PM »
Hmmm, considering the reference to womens undergarmets,, the stripping comment may be more appropriate than first imagined b1

the affect was created by first laying down the base gold,,, ( as an educational note, anytime you deal with womens undergarmets, GOLD is an appropriate starting place,,,) then I stretched a pair of fishnet stockings over the wing insuring that the seams were straight up the back of the calves,, uh,, oh wait,,
so yeah anyway,
a pair of fishnets was placed delicatly over the gold digger base,, and then a fresh mixture of the gold with a substantial dollop of red rouge pearl was added and sprayed through the stockings at a fairly soft airpressure. After things dried off enough I carefully slid the stockings off,, and proceeded to apply a generous portion of Pagan Gold Candy,,,,, hence you get what you see there.
ok so now my secret is out,, just dont tell my girlfriend, she may wonder where the stockings came from!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Well, I went and talked to my paint Guru, Kurt, ( Hey I have 25 years experience, but hes up on me by about 10 years)After replaying exactly what I did painting the Avenger, I now know what happened. He confirmed that every step , dry time and procedure I did was by the book. We verified that the sealer is good to spray over up to 72 hours without any attention. Where I went wrong was in cleaning it before I sprayed color. I used a alchohol based clean wipe that we have for exactly that purpose. HOWEVER, unbeknownst to me, there is some issue with alchohol and this sealer that comrpomises the ability of the basecoat to stick. Water based cleaners, and other solvent based cleaners are fine. there is something in the particular chemistry of this sealer that doesnt like the alchohol. The clue was that when I wiped the airframe down prior to painting, I started on the affected wing continuing over the rest of the plane so.... as I wiped the towelet dried off more. Now mind you these are specifically intended for this purpose, not something we just picked up along the grocery store aisle...
so the good news is, I now know what happened, and when I repaint, I wont make that mistake again, in fact, I doubt I will ever use those wipes again! lol
forensic diagnosis of a problem is KEY to improving your skills, which is why I posted this to begin with, and the same reason that Randy posts his issues, so that everyone can learn from them,,,,
Oh how did we figure it out you ask? well Kurt as soon as he heard that I wiped it with those, told me about the bike tank he painted and wiped with them, the first rock chip and the integrity was compromised with the whole paint job pealing off in dang near one sheet,! yep, Kurt is the absolute best painter I have ever known, he has issues too,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: The Avengers Revenge!CSI comes through, problem uncovered
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 09:32:15 PM »
Mark,

Glad you found the problem. Worse thing is to have something like that happen and have no idea why. Tough to avoid a problem you can't diagnose.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 06:19:44 AM »
Mark
Glad you found the problem but man, that is a tough way to learn that lesson.  Does thes mean you are also committed to a complete strip & re-do?  Just to the primer or down to bare?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 08:49:48 AM »
Well, in the interest of being SURE, I will likely commit to doing a complete strip on the wings and sand the fuse down to the primer. I have a reason to strip the wings anyway. In the process of covereing them I started with Poly span, and discovered that with this psuedo I beam wing, it did not lend enough torsional ( twisting) rigidity. So I then covered it with silkspan. In this process I added over two ounces . The polyspan was already doped ready to sand, so, i am thinking about stripping and just using the silkspan, OR covering with poly span for the puncture resistance, but not fully doping it, just one coat, then silkspan over that for strenght, I think I can shave two ounces easily off the finish weight so It is probably worth it. The decision wont be made till after the regionals. Then I will do the two inch tape adhesion test on the rest of the airframe to check adhesion. If its good then I will just sand the fuse , flaps and tail, down to the primer, or sealer depending. I will also take advantage of this to correct a few issues I uncovered in the process of painting. The base colors will be the same, though I am not in love with my graphic so that will likely change.
It just goes to show, I have 25 years painting and you still find stuff that you can do wrong without even knowing it!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 07:26:55 PM »
Speaking of HOT LOOKIN LADIES UNDERGARMENTS FOR MASKING CONCEPTS AND IDEAS...
Here is a shot taken out of a Limo either in Vegas or Jamaca'....anyhow this should get Mark's juices flowin for a repaint? LL~ VD~

SORRY...BUT NONE OF THOSE YOUNG LADIES ARE WEARING HELMETS? VD~
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 08:48:37 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 09:25:03 PM »
jeez Shultzie, I was just starting to feel the creative juices flowing and you yank some of the pictures off! hows a guy supposed to get inspired?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 10:16:04 AM »
 LL~ LL~ LL~
I received a couple of E mails...that I offended some of our more "anal retentive" grunts  n1 n1 S?PH^^
Especially from one of the grunts wife who caught him...laughin and gawkin' at those bikin'babes. :o H^^
May I mention that our grunt-gawker also mentioned that he has a bike that is very very similar to the bike in the foreground.

MAY THE GODS OF CREATIVE PAINTDOME'  BE WITH YOU...MY BELOVED BROTHA' MARK!
HAVE A SAFE N' SANE TRAVEL TRIP...AND REMEMBER TO SET THAT CRUZE-CONTROL on a safe n' sane setting and if you FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED! Make certain that you always follow a faster car...that can be your SPEED TRAP NABBIT-RABBIT!

Traffic Felon Donnie
(got a speeding ticket on the way back from Cannon Beach a few weeks ago.)
Don Shultz

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 05:22:01 PM »
Glad you found the problem Mark.  One question, how do you get that lace effect like that? I have no clue.

Matt Colan

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 07:26:05 PM »
Man Mark! I would've just painted it white!!! You are a gutsy dude!!!

Donaldo, my wife just shook her head. I explained you are an ARTIST >:D

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 06:15:56 AM »
A long time ago,at one of the St Louis Team trials, Jim Fasimpauer (spelling?) had an airplane that used the spray through lace effect. Looked almost like snake skin.. it looked neat on his airplane.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 08:34:27 AM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 06:05:53 PM »
Speaking of HOT LOOKIN LADIES UNDERGARMENTS FOR MASKING CONCEPTS AND IDEAS...
Here is a shot taken out of a Limo either in Vegas or Jamaica'....

Nope, Florida. USA 17 is no where near Nevada and there are no US Highways in Jamaica, but US 17, note sign on telephone pole behind the big dude, runs north/south in western FLA near Tampa and south. n1

Yeh...
Les McDonald confirmed the location? Ahhhhyes! Sport bikes and hot buns... LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 08:50:53 AM »
It has to be Daytona, and probably during the annual event - BCR. Sport bikes and lots of crashes are normal then. If it were Bike Week, the mix of people would have a lot more grey haired guys with baggers and 'Glides, and the wife who stumbled on the poor guy viewing the picture would have got an even bigger eyeful.
 Bike week tends to make the womens tops blow up to their shoulders, you can see them doggedly trying to pull them back down to cover the flesh exposed by the harsh Florida weather! 

Back to the paint job- we used to get a similar effect to the fish net pattern by spraying through lace from the fabric store. This was up north on Snowmoble hoods as a teenager. We thought we were the Kings of Custom Paint!

Important notice!! Do not use you mother / wife's lace doillies or table runners for paint masks- I still wear the scars!
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 07:49:34 AM »
Hi Mark,

I was really hit hard when I saw what happened to that wing panel.  Yep, even the best laid plans............. ;D

Glad you found the problem and it wasn't on a customer's car!  :o

It's better to be lucky than good, anyway. LL~ LL~ LL~

Mongo  H^^
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2009, 09:59:52 PM »
Well I can no longer procrastinate,
despite my best efforts to forstall the inevitable, I have pulled the Avenger back off its hanger, and am in process of sanding off all the color to start over. As I progress , I can feel the love starting in again.
My Pylon racers may have to take a back seat,,,

oh, and in case you were wondering, basecoat ( auto colors) sands like crap! sigh,, I may end up resorting to acetone, or thinner to strip the color off. Which would not be to bad since I have catalysed sealer under the color coats. Still have a lot of sanding though even at that,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 01:19:10 PM »
Hang in there Mark. It will be worth it in the end.

And I liked the discussion we had about trim colors. Same base color with the trim we discussed would just look cool.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 06:20:15 PM »
Geeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... you 'n Randy, the PROFESSIONALS are ALWAYS having problems!  What is it with youse guys??????

Just funnin' with y'all, I love you both..... (but you can't have my ice tea........)

Now, get that model painted and be done with it!  LL~  LL~ :o  ;D  H^^

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 09:07:18 PM »
 LL~
Hey...Big Bear Bill and StuntGruntsters...

No matta'  how gifted a paint masta has assended the lofty ladder of excellence.....that ol' saying: "ONE IS TRULY ONLY AS GREAT AS THEIR LAST GIG." LL~ LL~ H^^

May the New Year bring tidings of Great Paint Joy's to each and everyone one lurking here on Sparky's Place! BW@
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 11:19:05 AM »
Geeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... you 'n Randy, the PROFESSIONALS are ALWAYS having problems!  What is it with youse guys??????

Just funnin' with y'all, I love you both..... (but you can't have my ice tea........)

Now, get that model painted and be done with it!  LL~  LL~ :o  ;D  H^^

Big Bear

Now that you mention it, makes me think of these reality shows for cars, motorcycles, boats and even home improvements.  Have to interject some problems to keep it interesting.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 11:28:06 AM »
Trust me, I dont need problems to keep it interesting,, lol
though its a pretty darn good object lesson when you consider I do know what I am doing,, ( well i think so anyway) and I can still have problems using all the right stuff, so when I go on and on ad nausium about using the right products and materials to help avoid problems, Its pretty obvious that I speak from experience huh?
lol
happy new year all,, may your paint jobs all work without flaws,,, no runs no drips no errors,,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 12:38:07 PM »
Mongo,

Well, a great example is the plane I'm doing right now. I ran into a minor problem with adhesion, but I sort of saw it coming. Anytime you try to paint when the temp is under 60 degrees (or in my case 50 degrees) and the humidity is hovering near 85%, you're going to have issues. You try to do the things you have in the past that mitigate them (retarder, reducer levels, de-humidifying the air line and several other tricks), but you still stand a good chance of having a problem. It's a lot easier when it's 70 degrees and under 25% humidity (better known as heaven paint conditions). I shot pearlized candy colors and anytime you put a lot of pearl in something, you are likely to promote adhesion problems. Couple that with the humidity level and, well, you have to be prepared. It came out OK. Not a 20 pointer, but OK. I've so far had less problems with this finish than any since I built the Shoestring (that finish went on very easily).

It's part of the gig. You try to prepare for conditions and materials as best you can. Experimentation can be a killer (probably why most guys just do what they know works) and lastly, it's just that guys like Mark and I tell you about it. Most guys keep it to themselves.  ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 09:54:55 AM »
Wouldn't it great if we all could have paint stalls/booths to  paint in that are computored controlled for humidity and temps.  I don't think it would help me tho.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 09:58:12 AM »
Doc,
it is nice, but, it certainly only helps, its not the be all end all, as you note, without proper technique, you can have ALL the toys and it will still go south on you sometimes.

If you have an Impact, Trivial Pursuit, or T-rex, it doesnt matter if you dont understand how to adjust and wiggle the handle at the right times, you still aint gonna beat the big boys.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 10:00:57 PM »
Well, lets see, the current talley, I ended up stripping the color off with Laquer thinner and a roll of paper towels. I could get away with this because I had used a catalyzed sealer before I shot color and it prevents the laquer from working on the silkspan and dope. Thats one of the reasons I use it. I guidecoated it, and am now sanding the sealer coat.
the bad news, I dont have much left for fingerprints, the good news, I can hit the local bank because i dont have fingerprints left, lol,, ok so the real good news, its actually sanding out better this time. Having never sanded on an I beam, I had left some small lines next to the ribs from using a touch to much pressure. I learned and this time, I am able to eliminate most all of those things. Very small detail, but it would have showed,, at least to me,, ( well Randy would have seen it too I am sure, since were both the same way)
At this point, I have the bottom of one wing resanded, and all the control surfaces done.
well back to the sandpaper...
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 11:29:14 PM »
That's great, Mark. I look forward to the repainted version with the trim colors we talked about. It will be awesome!
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 05:29:15 PM »
Mark,

Not to be negative here, but I had to sand all the cracked paint off my original Akromaster and repaint it.
The sanding every day in my Garage only took me about 7 Months.  Of course yours wasn't cracked so it shouldn't take you that long.  I'm looking forward to seeing it finished, I'm sure Shutlzie is looking forward to seeing it as well!

Jim Pollock   %^@

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 05:40:14 PM »
Mark,

What was that base color you had before the incident occurred???  I think it is a fantastic shade of yellow/gold!!!
Matt Colan

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 05:43:54 PM »
Mark's Custom Fishnet Gold.   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 06:50:12 PM »
Matt,
It was a gold base, custom mixed pearls. Then it had another custom mixed pearl concoction sprayed through the fishnets, then it was Aztec Gold Candy layered on top of it.
I have rethought the process, and now think I can accomplish the same thing with many less coats of color. Same effect though in the long run.

Jim,
yeah thanks for THAT encouragement, lol, Mine has been hanging over the bench since May when I painted it the first time. Fortunately, I had not sprayed the catalyzed clear so I was able to wash the affected color toners off with thinner and not compromise the previous work.
the sanding I am doing now is to eliminate as much of the sealer coat as I can comfortably, but its also paying the dividend of taking care of the little issues that would have bugged me anyway. Like Pat says, every issue is an opportunity to learn and do better next time,,

If anyone is interested in what I am refering to when I speak of guide coating, I can post some pictures. Not sure if its common or not. Its how we do it when we block a car for paint.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 07:43:04 PM »
Well I took a break from loosing my fingerprints to snap a picture. For anyone interested Guide coat is basically just an aerosol applied "dye" or pigment. It sprays on , adding basically no body to the surface but it covers it. As you can see in the pictures, as you sand, the black stays in the low spots. Idealy you would coat the entire surface solid with the guidecoat, but I dont like to use that much, I spray a convincing "pattern" over the surface to be sanded and look closely as I sand.

If you look at the one picture of the stab closely, you can see that I have speckles of guidecoat still showing, but I have sanded through the sealer, time to stop sanding! Generally in this case, the difference in elevation that is leaving these indications is VERY minor, such that one or two swipes will remove the black. I will probably do that with handeld paper and a soft block. It was sanded to this point with a hard paddle wrapped with 400# paper.
I use my wet or dry paper dry, it leaves a finer scratch for one thing, it also doesnt freak me out worrying about getting the balsa wet.

The shot of the part I am sanding shows the edges where they are slightly in relief away from the rib edge. This was from my initial sanding using a bit to much pressure while sanding along the rib and flexing the silkspan down instead of cutting it flush with the rib. I THINK I am getting a better go of it this time. basically no pressure at all while sanding over the rib junction areas.
time will tell HB~>
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 11:32:08 PM »
Mark,

Are we having fun yet?
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 12:23:17 AM »
LOL,, well as we have stated, there is an intimacy that comes from the carefull massaging of the object de' art and the loving attention to detail getting it prepped,,,
ok
well
yeah right, so far I have about 10 or 15 hours sanding, in one or two hour blocks,, No actually while there is satisfaction, not really much FUN.
I also had to correct a small problem with the canopy that I am relieved to reveal was repairable. while washing off the color, I inadvertantly dribbled some thinner on the canopy, which is tinted dark,, I was very very concerned that I would not be able to sand out the damage it did to the clear plastic, I am however, VERY relieved that I was able to sand it , now its up to 1200 grit and while its foggy looking, the streak from the thinner is gone! So its salvagable ,, well assuming the clear doesnt distort it sigh,
I do have to admit though, there is something very very cool about the look of the surfaces that are sanded and all ready. I love the sheen of prepped for paint projects.
Zen and the art of model airplane finishing....
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 03:26:56 PM »
MAY THE LORD'S N' LASS'S OF PURTY PAINT ANGELS SHINE DOWN UPON YOU, BROTHA MARKLE!
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 03:44:51 PM »
>>Zen and the art of model airplane finishing....<<

There is certainly and amount of Zen to the process. It's like a lot of things, if you think too much about how much there is to do, you'll never finish. Just concentrate on one little area at a time ....

I look forward to seeing the final product.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2010, 10:03:05 AM »
LL~ LL~ LL~
I received a couple of E mails...that I offended some of our more "anal retentive" grunts  n1 n1 S?PH^^
Especially from one of the grunts wife who caught him...laughin and gawkin' at those bikin'babes. :o H^^
May I mention that our grunt-gawker also mentioned that he has a bike that is very very similar to the bike in the foreground.

MAY THE GODS OF CREATIVE PAINTDOME'  BE WITH YOU...MY BELOVED BROTHA' MARK!
HAVE A SAFE N' SANE TRAVEL TRIP...AND REMEMBER TO SET THAT CRUZE-CONTROL on a safe n' sane setting and if you FEEL THE NEED FOR SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED! Make certain that you always follow a faster car...that can be your SPEED TRAP NABBIT-RABBIT!

Traffic Felon Donnie
(got a speeding ticket on the way back from Cannon Beach a few weeks ago.)
And Steve thinks i'm Sick!@@##?? HB~> HB~>

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2010, 03:59:54 PM »
So, progress?
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2010, 09:11:53 PM »
Uh the outboard wing is completely resanded,, the flaps and elevators are sanded, the fuse is partially sanded, and now I am in Boise for the weekend to attend Pats wedding,,
progress to continue next week,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2010, 11:53:11 AM »
And Steve thinks i'm Sick!@@##?? HB~> HB~>

GREAT TO SEE YOU ROASTIN' AND POSTIN' AGAIN LEO!
Speakin of Cannon Beach and bein' SICKO!" LL~...I had to make a fast trip down to Cannon Beach area Thursday morning and stayed over night with my twin sister and brother in law in Nehalem Ore..(just 15 south of Cannon) to take care of some urgent family business that needed some updating.
Thought I would take in a day of kite flying on Friday with my old fellow kite festival competitiors at the INDOOR kite festival in Longbeach.
However..plans changed and I had to head back home here instead the next morning...(driving through horrific downpours of rain...and wind gusts  up to 60mph through the Neakani' mountain area and over the Astoria floating bridge.
Usually takes me about 3.5 hours drive..but this trip home took a laborsome 5 hours, due to flooded creek beds through the mountains north in SW Washington. 400 miles round trip from HELL IN A HANDBASKET! VD~
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2010, 10:50:23 PM »
Man, I wish I could have made it to Pat's wedding. He is such a cool guy. My thoughts are with him.

Shultzie,

Come on, you know you want another Avenger. Just say it. I'm sure Mark would front you plans and Pat could laser cut you some parts.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2010, 11:00:47 PM »
I think I already gave Shultzie a set of plans, didnt I Shultzie????

Pats wedding was pretty nice, at his house, comfortable gathering, mostly of her family,, and a couple of us "Pats " guys,, Jim Welch and I , from the modeling corner, and a couple of his work buddies too. I was fortunate to be able to work it out to come down. I did tell Pat you sent your best wishes.

Oh yeah, Pat does have the laser up and running, and he has my cut files for the Avenger too,,

so Don, its about time dont you think!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Rob Smith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2010, 10:53:16 AM »
How about an electric powered Avenger Mark? I figured you be up for that considering all the special time you have spent with your Avenger! ;D

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2010, 11:26:57 AM »
oh, and I have thought about it,, a JET styled stunter that just WHOOSHH around the circle, how appropriate is THAT
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2010, 10:57:13 PM »
Hey, quit messing around and get back to sanding.   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2010, 11:00:14 PM »
lol, still in boise,, no sanding till tomorrow,, I took a guy holiday,, for me,, ;)
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here