News:

• May 22, 2024, 01:42:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tail dragger Sharks  (Read 5296 times)

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
Tail dragger Sharks
« on: December 03, 2011, 07:19:17 PM »
Are tail dragger versions of either the Shark 35 or 45 classic legal ?
AMA 33676

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tail dragger Sharks
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 11:51:55 AM »
I personally am not aware of any "Tail Dragger" Sharks beinbg built back in the day. That doesn't mean none were though.

Being a tail dragger might not cause any loss of points at most Classic contests, unless they are awarding points for authenticity, which most contests seem to ignore.

Having said the above, and being a fan of trike geared designs, I cannot imagine why you would be willing to give up the advantages a properly set up trike geared design gives you. For most, this is at least a 10 point advantage. S?P
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »
(snip)
Having said the above, and being a fan of trike geared designs, I cannot imagine why you would be willing to give up the advantages a properly set up trike geared design gives you. For most, this is at least a 10 point advantage. S?P

Hi John,

I have a couple (actually 3) models undergoing construction with trike gear.  They will be my first trike gear models since the early '70s.  I hope I gain at least 0 points! LL~ LL~

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 01:41:40 PM »
Hey Big Bear, Glad to see you are building some new ships. #^

If you've set the trike gear up correctly, You should see an increase in take off points, and in landing points. You really have to mess up to botch a landing, though I have managed to do so.

For those interested, You want to set the plane up, so it sits level, or at most, less than a degree nose down. Avoid having the plane sit with the nose up at all. You will have a bit of a time lifting off cleanly where you want to if you set it up nose high.

You want to locate the main gesr at a popint where the tail will stay down if you push it there, when the tank is empty. This means it will barely sit on the gear with an empty tank. When the tank is full, and you're taking off, it's very easy to rotate and lift off clean and smooth just by the slight motion of standing up straight. Yep, I start my take off roll from a crouching position. It gets the lines closer to level and the inboard wing resists raising during the take off roll.

OK, there's one more thing I do for contest take offs.

Regardless of where I begin my take off roll, I face the point, where I want to take off at (1/4 circle). When the plane reaches that position where it's right in front of me, I stand up, and the plane rises smoothly with me. Almost always good for a 35+ point take off. H^^

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 02:39:32 PM »
John

From your comment you seem to be a big fan of tri-gear stunters.  I've never built and flown one, so I have no experience in the matter.  My bias is simply that a conventional tail-dragger lay out is lighter and has less drag. And as far as ground handling goes a properly set up tail-dragger can handle very well, as I'm sure you know.  Just my personal preference. Not meant as a criticism of anyone or any specific design. I am considering building a Shark and wanted to know what obstacles I would have to overcome in it being "classic legal" if I made it a tail-dragger.  :)
AMA 33676

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 03:27:32 PM »
Hi Dan,

I really am not familiar with the Classic/Nos. 30 contest scene in the Mid West.  Around here we do not use Fidelity nor Appearance Points for either class, so I don't *think* there would be a problem in the Southeast.  I would almost bet the farm that *someone* made a tail dragger to get some *Originality* points back in the day.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 03:41:14 PM »
No problem Dan, and you are right about a proper tail dragger set up performing well, and being lighter. The difference in this case is a plane designed for the extra weight of the nose wheel being where it is. You might possibly have to add the weight, or change the nose legnth to compensate.

As for being "Classic Legal", there were possibly at least one Shark built, during the classic period, as a tail dragger. I doubt you'd have a big problem, unless they are also giving the extra points for authenticity.  H^^

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 03:50:41 PM »
 Hi Dan,

I'm not 100% sure but I believe some of the Sharks Ken Taylor built out here in the 60's were tail draggers. Certainly 1 of his more recent Sharks is and it looks super cool sporting wing mounted gear with wheel pants.

Cheers, Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 03:56:44 PM »
Thanks John

As far as having to add nose weight or changing the length of the nose, I would simply move the battery a freckle or two forward to compensate.  :)
AMA 33676

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 03:57:35 PM »
Rob

Any pictures available ?
AMA 33676

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 04:02:45 PM »
Big Bear

I guess I may have to move to the Southeast then !  ;)
AMA 33676

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 04:23:56 PM »
Big Bear

I guess I may have to move to the Southeast then !  ;)

Come on down, Dan!  Good weather here in the middle/southern part of NC.  The Huntersville flying site is very, very good.

You know why the sky is Carolina Blue?  Because God's a Tar Heel! ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 04:47:44 PM »
Big Bear

If only I could get my wife to move, I sure would like a place where it don't hardly snow and I could fly more than 7 months out of a year. North Carolina could work for me !  H^^
AMA 33676

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 05:09:39 PM »
Legal or not, a tail dragger Shark would be like an Olympic without stabilizer tip vertical fins. They are a key element of the design and one of the things that make a Shark a Shark.  My current classic build is a Shark 35, built specifically because it is a nose dragger and will be easier to land without bouncing. They also look cool. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 06:26:38 PM »
Yes Pete, I understand what you are saying. n1
AMA 33676

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 05:05:42 AM »
 Hi Dan,
 Sorry so long for the reply,

I have some pics but having recently bought a new house they are still in storage and I'm not yet sure where they (or anything else for that matter) is.

I can certainly understand guys building sharks with trike gear as tribute to the original design but they look awesome as a wing mounted tail dragger. If I ever get around to another it would most likely be built that way.

Cheers, Rob..
Robert Biddle

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 05:55:59 PM »
Rob

Very well said.  You said the words I was thinking. Thanks   y1

Dan
AMA 33676

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 03:45:52 AM »
Hi Dan,

I'm not 100% sure but I believe some of the Sharks Ken Taylor built out here in the 60's were tail draggers. Certainly 1 of his more recent Sharks is and it looks super cool sporting wing mounted gear with wheel pants.

Cheers, Rob.

Ken Taylor at the Australian Nats 1964 with taildragger version of Shark.   Used similar for the 1963 Nats.

HH

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 12:14:26 PM »
Hi Dan,

Herb just gave you all the material needed for a tail dragger Shark to be Classic/Nos.30 legal!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 04:12:50 PM »
Hi Dan,

Herb just gave you all the material needed for a tail dragger Shark to be Classic/Nos.30 legal!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Hi Bill

I'm missing something here. Don't know your reference to "Herb".  And the airplane in the pic looks like a Shark, but it says Zeus on the wing.  I'm not clear on what you are saying, my friend. Have mercy on me and explain it so even I could understand it if you would. I'm not near as savvy as you about the legalities of all this jazz.  ;)
AMA 33676

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 04:59:42 PM »
Hi Bill

I'm missing something here. Don't know your reference to "Herb".  And the airplane in the pic looks like a Shark, but it says Zeus on the wing.  I'm not clear on what you are saying, my friend. Have mercy on me and explain it so even I could understand it if you would. I'm not near as savvy as you about the legalities of all this jazz.  ;)

Hi Dan,

Sorry for the confusion!  "Herb" is Dallas Hanna.  The name on the wing doesn't matter (lots of pilots chamged the "name" of their model) as it is obvious the model is a Shark 45, and Dallas identified it as such.  Therefore, a tail dragger Shark 45 has documentation as having been built in the Classic period and it is therefore legal for Classic competition.

Cheers!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
Hi Bill

Now I understand. I was thinking of doing a Shark 35 as a tail dragger. If the pic is a Shark 45, I guess it won't qualify the smaller version, or will it ?  Thanks for your clear and concise explanation. I appreciate it.

Dan
AMA 33676

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 05:14:32 PM »
Hi Bill

Now I understand. I was thinking of doing a Shark 35 as a tail dragger. If the pic is a Shark 45, I guess it won't qualify the smaller version, or will it ?  Thanks for your clear and concise explanation. I appreciate it.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I can't help you with the .35 size.  We would need someone to post pictures of one "back in the day".  Unfortunately it was never published as a build article so probably very few were built in the Classic period, maybe just the one......

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 06:01:20 PM »
Thanks Bill. Sounds like chances are slim then on the 35.  I appreciate your input very much.  Thanks !

Dan
AMA 33676

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 07:17:25 PM »
Dan-

'can't help much either, other than to complicate things. First, it's hard for me to believe that some classic period Sharks were not built by individuals - at least kit builders - as tail draggers. Second, the tail on the Zeus looks enlarged from original. FWIW.

SK

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 06:19:48 PM »
Dan:
I'm gonna give you some really bad advice - its your airplane, built it how you like.

Here's the bad advice part - I honestly doubt if a taildragger would keep you out of a local contest- they need all the entries they can get.  At the NATs or VSC - you might catch some grief.

Meanwhile I think a Shark 35 would be a killer in regular PA!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 06:40:18 PM »
. . . I think a Shark 35 would be a killer in regular PA!

It is.  Ask Whitely!  ;)
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 08:50:26 PM »
I dont think there is a means in the rules to disqualify in classic, regardless of variations. It would kill you in appearance or authentic points though,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 12:37:06 AM »
How about I build it with an open cockpit? Surely, somebody must have knocked the canopy off their Shark while practising, and went ahead and flew it in a contest. That would make it legal, right?

I wanna build a Shark with a tuned pipe, so that's ok, right? Apparently it's fine to use an electronic engine, but it's not ok to use a tuned piped IC engine in a Classic. WTH? Which powertrain is being touted as THE BEST by all the Experts? So I have to give them an advantage, but can't even use the pipe, which would only make up part of the disadvantage (the other part being the way I fly).

Seriously...the reason we fly Classic is so that we can see and fly the stunt models that we remember so well, while we can still remember them at all. Why would anybody want to build a taildragger Shark, or one with an open cockpit? Ask RJ if you can build and fly a taildragger Hawker Hunter in Classic and jump back!!!  :o
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 12:47:20 AM »
now steve,, take a deep breath,,
I agree with you on the spirit of the event,, but if there IS evidence, then there is nothing wrong or agains the spirit. Like my Oriental with wing mounted gear, it was totally legit, I even had documentation for it,,

Now I agree that the spirit of the event indicates standard two stroke power,, but the truth is, the RULES dont disallow it. That is what Fidelity points were about, they allowed for a way to "penalize" someone for a non appropriate airplane,, like an open cockpit shark, or a tricycle gear oriental, or,, whatever. but unfortunatly I dont think a lot of contests use fidelity points, they only use appearance points..
so to keep it pure, bring back fidelity points,, ( its no different than a flap bonus in old time)
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 03:06:28 PM »
now steve,, take a deep breath,,
(snip) but unfortunatly I dont think a lot of contests use fidelity points, they only use appearance points..
so to keep it pure, bring back fidelity points,, ( its no different than a flap bonus in old time)

HI Mark,

I think if you move your statement to include the entire country, then you will see that even Appearance Points are not used.  Nationwide I believe you would see that very few contests mention BOM or AP anymore in any class.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 03:52:51 PM »
That may be true in some parts of the country but waaaay out west, BOM and appearance points are alive and well. This a a good thing IMHO but let's not start this friendly debate again. WARNING: Thread Drift! 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 04:38:37 PM »
Guess I better not power it with 16 strands of 1/4" Pirelli then either. Don't want to upset folks on this here forum. Project is on hold anyway, and I promise not to speak of it further if ever.  ;D
AMA 33676

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2012, 04:39:04 PM »
Bill, every contest out here uses appearance points, the only exceptions being old time, and Profile,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2012, 11:16:13 PM »
Actually a stick and tissue Shark powered by pirelli rubber would be pretty cool IMHO. Just omit the wheels and put some dihedral in. Probably do pretty well at FAC events although I don't think there is a class for it.  Another Shark project for warbird enthusiasts: Bash it into a stunt-scale Bell XP-77. Could even keep the trike gear for that one.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dallas Hanna

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2012, 04:19:53 AM »
Dan-

'can't help much either, other than to complicate things. First, it's hard for me to believe that some classic period Sharks were not built by individuals - at least kit builders - as tail draggers. Second, the tail on the Zeus looks enlarged from original. FWIW.

SK

There may have been slight differences due to the different plans available for the Shark 45.  Ken told me that the plan he used was a published one which did differ from the Jetco kit version.  That conversation was 15 years ago so I can't say what the other plan was.

Ken used Enya 45 engines back then and maybe a Fox 59 in one.  That one I can't be sure on.   Why he called the 64 one "Zeus" I haven't a clue!   The one which he used to place 2nd with at the 1963 OZ nats (left of pic) was the same configuration.

HH ;)

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2012, 09:57:35 AM »
Actually a stick and tissue Shark powered by pirelli rubber would be pretty cool IMHO. Just omit the wheels and put some dihedral in. Probably do pretty well at FAC events although I don't think there is a class for it.  Another Shark project for warbird enthusiasts: Bash it into a stunt-scale Bell XP-77. Could even keep the trike gear for that one.  8)

Sounds like you should start building one !  :##
AMA 33676

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2012, 11:30:26 AM »
If I built a Shark, I think I'd go with something like the pic above. I think that is very cool.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2012, 11:39:38 AM »
Randy

You have very good taste ! :)
AMA 33676

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2012, 02:49:29 PM »
Naw, both hypothetical projects. I like my stock trike-geared Shark and besides, the XP-77 was a homely failure as a fighter. As for stick and tissue models, they are a nice change of pace from C/L but 16 strands of Pirelli?, that would put it into the Jumbo Scale class...no thanks.  8)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 03:53:41 PM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2012, 04:38:43 PM »
I was cleaning out the shop awhile back and threw out all the Champion and FAI Supply rubber that I had...which was a lot. None of it was any good when it was new, and it didn't get better with age. That's why I didn't go into Wakefield beyond the first one, the name fliers got the good rubber, and everybody else got chit. Pretty discouraging to start out with that much of a handicap.  :X Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2012, 01:54:06 AM »
Poor Bill has been waiting years for me to draw up Dad's Shark taildragger. It hangs on my shop wall, all 1969 of it's original balsa and Tigre 46, Spin-A-Flo muffler and Veco spinner. Did I mention it's sexy Sea Fury style fake gear doors over Williams Bros. racing wheels? It's way awesome.

Fidelity Points are only for pissing people off. There is no one capable of judging it fairly without documentation rules and their fair implementation by advertisement before a contest and trained judges using documents only during said judging. Other wise it's a game of chance.

So...Not only have I seen taildragger Sharks, I have one. It has a jet look body and a different name, too. I also have a asymtrical wing mounted gear Smoothie, it competed in the 1967 Nationals.

I have never seen a taildragger Shark 35. Whitely's trike flew perfectly, it was so easy to fly I almost placed at a VSC with his model. Secret? Straight, good controls, lot's of HP.

As long as it was bitchin', Whitely would dig a taildragger Hunter.

Here's my take on Classic. It AIN'T OLD TIME! You can build what was built in the period, which is about any mod one can think of, it doesn't have to be built out of the box, but it sure can be if one wants.

Chris...

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2012, 09:11:32 AM »
And where is the pic of this bird??????  Remember watching Whitely flying the Maco Shark at VSC.   Looked like a sure winner, but things happened to keep him off the podium. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »
Poor Bill has been waiting years for me to draw up Dad's Shark taildragger. It hangs on my shop wall, all 1969 of it's original balsa and Tigre 46, Spin-A-Flo muffler and Veco spinner. Did I mention it's sexy Sea Fury style fake gear doors over Williams Bros. racing wheels? It's way awesome.

Fidelity Points are only for pissing people off. There is no one capable of judging it fairly without documentation rules and their fair implementation by advertisement before a contest and trained judges using documents only during said judging. Other wise it's a game of chance.

So...Not only have I seen taildragger Sharks, I have one. It has a jet look body and a different name, too. I also have a asymtrical wing mounted gear Smoothie, it competed in the 1967 Nationals.

I have never seen a taildragger Shark 35. Whitely's trike flew perfectly, it was so easy to fly I almost placed at a VSC with his model. Secret? Straight, good controls, lot's of HP.

As long as it was bitchin', Whitely would dig a taildragger Hunter.

Here's my take on Classic. It AIN'T OLD TIME! You can build what was built in the period, which is about any mod one can think of, it doesn't have to be built out of the box, but it sure can be if one wants.

Chris...

HI Little Brother!

I know it will get done when it gets done. ;D

I agree on Classic.  Lots and lots of kits were changed, modified to get the extra "Originality" points.  Making a different shaped rudder, different landing gear, different wing tips, bubble canopy in place of a turtledeck and vice versa. 

I love the Classic event, even more than the Nostalgia 30 event, but I do know that not all kits were built straight out of the box and both events can use more entries on the local scene.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here