News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:58:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: T-Bird II_Engine Choice??  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
T-Bird II_Engine Choice??
« on: March 28, 2007, 10:49:26 AM »
Ok, you have any engine available to you.  What would you use to power a T-Bird II?  Why?

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 03:11:45 PM by Bill Little »
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: T-Bird II
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 12:19:47 PM »
Bill,

Depends of if you want to go with "period" power or what would be the optimal engine. I've seen them fly with really good running Fox .35s and were great. I've seen them with ST.46 and also flew very well. Even an  OS .35S that was pretty cool.

Personally, I'd use a PA .40UL, but that's me.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 10:49:28 PM »
  Hi Bill,
 I am using an LA .46 in mine, it was a toss up between that and a very good Merco (red head) .35 at the time.
 (the Merco is slated for a Brodak Nobler kit the kids gave me last fathers day! ;D ;D ;D)

Initially the weight target was sub 45 oz but I think it will be a bit higher now (47-48 oz) so I think the extra prop disc area will help by using the .46.

If I were starting over I think I would be dropping the canopy detailing etc, aiming for closer to 40 oz and definately running a Magnum .36. VD~

P.s, Bill I think you know why!

Cheers, Rob.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 12:25:49 AM by rob biddle »
Robert Biddle

Offline George Waters

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 05:40:43 AM »
I have three tbird II models. One is a veco and the other two are RSM kits. I have an fp 40 in the veco and RoJett 40 bs/re motors with header mufflers on them in the RSM birds. All hve adequate power, especialy the barstock  40's. George

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 07:38:38 AM »
Bill,

Depends of if you want to go with "period" power or what would be the optimal engine. I've seen them fly with really good running Fox .35s and were great. I've seen them with ST.46 and also flew very well. Even an  OS .35S that was pretty cool.

Personally, I'd use a PA .40UL, but that's me.

Hi Guys,

Going for the "optimum" package here.  The set up that would provide the best performance regardless of the "time frame".

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 07:40:49 AM »
Hi Guys,

Going for the "optimum" package here.  The set up that would provide the best performance regardless of the "time frame".  For "period power" I wold go with either my strongest Veco 35 or the McGas 40.  But I am thinking in terms of AT 36, Magnum 36, ST 46, etc........ (wish I had one of them thar Aero 40UL thingies!)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ron King

• Commander
Re: T-Bird II_Engine Choice??
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 06:19:25 AM »
Bill,

I have been out of touch recently - but not THAT out of touch.  n~ n~

The only engine I would consider is the Aero Tiger 36. Life is too short to waste time. Go with the best.  H^^

No, you cannot have it back.  VD~

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 10:18:52 AM »
Bill,

Hmmm. What do you have?

As I said, I would go with the PA .40 Merlin. More than enough power and super run characteristics. If I was in the mood to way overpower it or thought I would have a problem with it being tail heavy, might go with something bigger. A local guy had one with a DS 50. Seemed to work fine.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 04:45:47 PM »
Bill,

Hmmm. What do you have?

As I said, I would go with the PA .40 Merlin. More than enough power and super run characteristics. If I was in the mood to way overpower it or thought I would have a problem with it being tail heavy, might go with something bigger. A local guy had one with a DS 50. Seemed to work fine.

Tom Dixon flew his with the ST G51 when that engine first hit the shelves.  It did a nice job.

I am asking the question (not because of what engines I have) to see what the coices different peopl would make, and WHY.  To me, the PA40UL would be in a close race with the Aero Tiger 36, and it would come down to which is the heaviest.  With the design considerations of the original plane and the engine weights of the time, I would want to use the combination of lighest/most usuable power.

The heavier the engine becomes the proportional weight gain gets greater.  Nose weight will need tail weight, overall weight goes up!  I am still not sold on the theory that a plane flys better "heavy" than when it's light.  If so, Billy Werwage wouldn't be a three time World Champ..........  (Les liked to build kinda light, too- the only other three time US WC)  Just all a matter of preferences I guess.

Thanks for responding, guys, since it doesn't appear to be too many here who have an opinion........!!!!!!!

;D
Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 02:32:39 PM »
Hi, Bill,
   Starting a T-II, plan to use my Aero Tiger...hard to beat that little guy for absolute solid runs, along with nice power and friendly attitude!  What an incredible engine...lots of nice choices out there now. 
ama 72090

Offline NED-088

• Commander
    • Heartstrings
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 03:08:52 PM »
Thanks for responding, guys, since it doesn't appear to be too many here who have an opinion........!!!!!!!
OK then, my choice would be AXI 2826-10 with the upgraded CC-45 ESC and Hyperion 3700 4S1P batteries.... ;D
'If you think there's something about my English, you're right. I'm Dutch... '
But I DO play Stunt and I DO fly Bluegrass.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 06:41:57 PM »
OK then, my choice would be AXI 2826-10 with the upgraded CC-45 ESC and Hyperion 3700 4S1P batteries.... ;D

Ok, Bruno!  Now.... WHY??  That was the second part. 

And many of us know NOTHING about electric set ups! ;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 07:28:52 AM »
Some of us know "a little" about electric set ups.  ;D

Bruno's choices look great to me as long as the 3700 Hyperion batteries have enough juice to complete the pattern and are lighter than my old Thunder Power 4200 cells.

My problem with electrifying the classics is weight. The wings are generally smaller and I wasn't happy with the heavy wing loading after adding all that battery weight. My Oriental flew okay, the bigger Cardinal flew better, and I think 600 - 620 square inches would be best for that AXI/Castle/battery combo.

Just my opinion - after spending $4000.00 (US) last year on electric CLPA as a "learning experience".  n~ n~ :##

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 08:10:43 AM »
Thanks, Ron. ;D  Yet, *many* of us old pharts haven't had the opportunity to *learn* yet!  **)

Dude, I didn't realize you had that much of an investment in the Electric Stunt Experience! 

AS an aside: Those Corsair II plans look like it will be an AWESOME plane for some reason!  Begging for an AT36 and maybe a 'Nam camo scheme.....  I talked to Mike about my getting some laser cut ribs done for it.  We'll see how that goes a *little* later down the road!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 01:20:20 PM »

Dude, I didn't realize you had that much of an investment in the Electric Stunt Experience! 

AS an aside: Those Corsair II plans look like it will be an AWESOME plane for some reason!  Begging for an AT36 and maybe a 'Nam camo scheme.....  I talked to Mike about my getting some laser cut ribs done for it.  We'll see how that goes a *little* later down the road!

Bill,

You start small, then learn you need more stuff, and the money goes out faster than you think. The last time I checked, I had 30 battery packs. At $105.95 per, that adds up to some serious hobby money.  Then I had to have my own programming setup at home to create the special timers I use and you can guess the rest.....  n~ n~  I didn't really start thinking about it until I started gathering all my tax stuff together. I sorted receipts and.... ~^

IIRC, the AT36 is Mike's choice for a powerplant and mine as well for that plane. Like I said, life is too short to waste on lousy engines. Get the best.

I'll wimp out and send the templates to Crist Rigotti and see if he can cut some foam cores.
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here