News:

• April 27, 2024, 05:29:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Switching Planes  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Switching Planes
« on: October 26, 2006, 11:08:52 PM »
Steve,

I think you have the skills needed to fly both a .60 size PA ship & a .40 size Classic well.

You do have to get used to the Classic plane. Lots of patterns.

I agree with you on the Derek Barry Sweeper flights. Vary cool.

The biggest problem I have is I typically do better in Classic than I do in Pampa(!)  Part of the problem here is typical contest format, where you have a short time from the conclusion of classic to the Pampa rounds the next day.  At home I never fly my classic plane, yet when I pick up the handle of my little Nobler I am always able to fly it decently.  But then when I go to the Pampa plane I always feel like my timing is off for a bunch of flights.  Its weird.
Steve

Offline Ron King

• Commander
Re: Switching Planes
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 06:55:07 AM »
Patrick and Steve have brought up a very important point and I think it should become a separate topic.

This problem affects a lot of us and I personally spend a lot of time trying to get my various planes to feel the same at the handle, even if they don't all fly the same.

I would be interested to hear what others do to prepare your planes and yourself.

Thanks,

Ron the Moderator
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 07:34:21 AM »
Hey Ron the Moderator....
I agree....
I have a Pathfinder that is about 6 years old, and when examined on the ground, it exhibits all of the stuff that makes people say is wrong with a profile model....the fuse twists, the tail twists, etc.....BUT, most that have flown it say that it might be the BEST flying profile they have ever flown....some say the best flying PLANE! I can fly it to about the same scores or better that I achieve with my tuna-pipe stuff....and I fly it infrequently.
I also have a Nobler that I crafted from plans....very good flyer, with an AeroTiger .36. It, too is a great flyer, though I fly it infrequently also....
Both fly a bit differently, but most that fly them agree that they have that "old shoe" feel almost immediately.....

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 08:11:06 AM »
For a long, long time, I have advocated that *most* people have a contest plane that they can fly in the most classes.  Especially *Classic* and *PAMPA* at their local meets.  I have said this for exactly the reasons Stevie Boy suggests.  If you are Advanced or "Local" Expert, especially, you can fly pretty precisely.  Changing planes is going to take an adjustment no matter how similar they fly.  The longer you fly (Werwage: 50 years of contests) the easier it is to transition.  I cannot do as Billy has done (over 2000 flights on several planes and who knows how many total!) so I need a plane that I can get very familiar with.  Of course, I love the PLANES so much that I just have to build a lot of them!  **)  Retirement might change the way I approach the whole *Competition* aspect of my flying.  As it is, I know that I cannot fly much right now, and I have to have one plane to do it if I hope to do decent in contests.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 09:29:56 PM »
I like to use the same plane as much as possible in a contest to avoid the potential differences in flying characteristics.  This started at the Sig contest where I figured I could get in two evaluated practice flights with my Chipmunk in Classic to get ready for the following day of PAMPA (at Sig, the Chip is can be flown in Classic).  This turned out to be a good thing for me.  I also fly OTS while I am there, but the different plane and different pattern do not seem to present the same problems as different planes and the same pattern.

When I last visited Brodak in 2004 I had been set to travel over with a friend and because space was limited, I decided on taking just a Profile Oriental that year.  What the he**, it is good for Profile, Classic and PAMPA.  It still is one of my favorite multiple event airplanes.

So I guess my option to multiple events is to use the same airplane.  There are certainly many out there that fly well enough to compete effectively.

John
John Paris

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 04:46:33 PM »
The biggest problem I have is I typically do better in Classic than I do in Pampa(!)  Part of the problem here is typical contest format, where you have a short time from the conclusion of classic to the Pampa rounds the next day.  At home I never fly my classic plane, yet when I pick up the handle of my little Nobler I am always able to fly it decently.  But then when I go to the Pampa plane I always feel like my timing is off for a bunch of flights.  Its weird.

Steve not much of a mystery to it. It all goes back to what I have said all along. The classic plane are generally 40 ounces. The late model planes are large barges. Fly and flop. Its not the same game at all. The lighter plane will be more constant than the heaver ones as you are really flying it instead of it flying you.
AMA 12366

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 06:23:41 PM »
 I misread the above  so I removed it and will rewrite it later
Ed Ruane
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 08:07:04 AM »
Two of my columns discussed the first Excalibur and how it was to be a Profile Stunt, P-40 Stunt, Classic and Expert model.  I flew it at Polk City Iowa, the Ice-O-Lated in St. Louis, multiple events at New Albany Indiana and the VSC of 2006.  My Excalibur found a home with a young flyer who is the nephew of Michael Scmitt.  I have published often in FM that multiple models helps a newbie flyer by allowing more flights on one bird with less change of fuel, handle, prop, tach setting, lap time, turning radius and full flight time.  Thus, a new or even an experienced flyer can take on model to a contest and fly at least one warm up flight and possibly six to eight officials in one day/two days with the same weapon.  Paint the Excalibur, but not changing shapes, to resemble a favorite single engine fighter of your choice and you can extend the flight day to eight to ten for putting the model in Fun Scale.  My February and March columns for FM will discuss another of my favorite multiple event models and its preparation for the 2007 VSC.

Allen Brickhaus

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here