News:

• May 23, 2024, 12:53:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Swinger!  (Read 7675 times)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Swinger!
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2007, 07:27:16 AM »
Some progress to show off!  Most of it is built actually, the bottom is still open and I need to resolve the battery position (for balance) and mounting.  Also need some scoops and ducting for motor and battery cooling.

Landing gear and fin is removable - remaining airplane will fit in a 4' sqaure box that's only 4" deep or 6" deep with an inch of foam all around; not bad for a 1-piecer.

All up weight with battery is 42 oz - so I'm in trouble there.  Not a lot of cards left to play except max corner radii and sanding out - then scrimp on finish. Hoping I can downsize the battery some...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2007, 09:37:51 AM »
Denny,

Looking great!

Another solution to the nose gear installation too.

Looks like the cockpit is "in". Bill won't have to invoke the wrath of the mountain boys.

Happy New Year!
AMA 7544

Offline Airacobra

• Commander
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2007, 12:42:47 PM »
Denny, the Swinger is looking very cool. I will interested in hearing how the Swinger flies for you.
Keith Bryant

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2008, 12:09:56 AM »
Denny,
We haven't had a "Swinger" undate in a while. How is it coming?
AMA 7544

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2008, 09:16:23 PM »
Well after being chastised cajoled and THREATENED with bodily harm ( at least to me kneecaps) I went ahead with a cockpit & canopy.  Hope I finally earned a reprieve from the RNMM!

The bubble is a Sig Kougar and includes a neat flat windshield.  No room in the cockpit for side by side F-111 aircrew, so like Jack I installed a single pilot head.  Looks like the old boy is kinda cramped though...

He gets an aluminum seatback and alum dash panel.   Not deep enough to install a control stick so he'll have to settle for a couple bent & glass headed pins.  THen again he has no visible arms!

Other items:
* Based on running the numbers in Line 3 I decided to move the leadouts forward about 3/8" versus the plans position.  Frankly I could not see any point in making them adjustable - no where to move anyway!

* I embedded a wheel collar in either side of the fuselage where the nose gear pluggs in,  and I have two set screws to hold the gear in cleanly.

* The fin is also removable.  By removing the fin and landing gear the remaining bird is about 3.5" high and will easily fit in a smallish box for shipping - if by some chance I can get a chance to go to VSC...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
Denny,

The "Godfather" will probably give you a medal now! I'm afraid that the knee caps will not be repaired as a reminder to sin no more.

Hey,
The "Swinger" is really looking good. I hope we can all get our airplanes flying soon and get to VSC.
AMA 7544

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2008, 09:58:29 AM »
Heh, heh, the name reminds me of a woman I knew in Idaho.  #^ y1 H^^

In Idaho!!?? Must have been from the big city of Boise.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2008, 12:54:32 PM »
>>Must have been from the big city of Boise<<

Boise and surrounds is 650,000 people. If you include all of Treasure Valley (Boise, Meridian, Nampa, Caldwell and surrounds), it a bit over a million.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2008, 08:55:54 PM »
Even though the progress looks slow at this point there is still progress - running out of things to add-on

* Cockpit is in and canopy on - thus getting the RNMM happy  8)
* Leading edge strakes installed, had forgotten about these but they add a lot - even if they do trash my intended trim scheme!  b1
* Corners of fuselage rounded, transistions to jet pods and wing roughed in.
* Instead of 1/2" ribs along fuselage I opted to plank out to the first rib.
* Cowl and battery hatch (not shone) assembled/roughed in.  Needs hold downs.
* Hoping to have it RTC by the weekend - that will depend on other distractions.  ~^

I REALLY like the shape and appearance - it looks just like I always imagined it would.  Have a couple military and non-military color schemes in mind - gonna have to pick one and run with it!  Am still very curious about the performance of the swept wing and electric power...    ::)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2008, 10:55:08 PM »
Looking very slick there Mr. Adamisin. Tell me you plan to attend VSC with this plane.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2008, 12:35:24 AM »
Denny,

It is looking better an better.

It looks soooo gooood that I heard that the Mountain Mafia is considering paying to have your knee caps repaired.

Looks like we are all up against time. I hope to have my "Sea Vixen" covered in a few days. Seems that every time I complete an item, I add another item to the check list.. and I have all those fillets to finish too.
AMA 7544

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2008, 08:38:54 AM »

That Swinger is looking really cool.  Too bad one of your V-Tails doesn't qualify for Classic.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Arch Adamisin

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2008, 01:16:23 PM »
John,
Actually we do have a V-tail that is Classic legal. It's a model I built in 1968. Not only is it a V-tail, it's also a T-tail. I think Denny shared a picture of it in one of his earlier posts, possibly in another Classic thread. Those pictures are in the "Kostecky-Formuls S, Gierke-Eagle thread.

Arch
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 04:53:11 PM by Arch Adamisin »

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2008, 10:42:58 PM »
Randy:
Sorry to say I am 95% sure I can NOT go to VSC.  Along with the obvious logistic and vacation time issues, grand-kid #1 is supposed to debut about then.  Assuming I don't make it to VSC then I'll be hoping to fly the Swinger at some other meet here in the midwest wher Jack can see it.

Tom N
Yeah the RNMM "paid" for my knee repair, they sent me a roll of duct tape - postage due.  You know the RNMM: if it doesn't move and it should - WD40, if it moves and it shouldn't - Duct Tape!

Keep pluggin away on the 'Vixen that bird could be the class of the Sheeks fleet!

Doc:
below there's a re-post of the pix Arch mentioned

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2008, 06:15:49 PM »
Arch   Didn't you have a plane at the nats about 15 year's ago that had a canard in the front of a conventional design? If so that was so neat. What way did the canard elevator go when the flaps went down? Do you have a picture? If it was not you who was it?
Ed Ruane
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2008, 09:25:59 PM »
Ed,  I am still playing with the canard that Dick Sarpolous designed.  The moving surfaces have to work just like on a conventional plane, in other words, if the front surface goes down to pitch the nose up, the rear surface goes the opposite direction.  On the Goose I have the rear surface just barely moving and have cut down the movement on the front moving surface to tame the plane down.  When I get the engine set right it will do a recognizable pattern in a moderate breeze.  It is fun to fly tho,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Arch Adamisin

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2008, 09:44:20 PM »
Ed,
Yes, that was me.  Big Art and I had spent a lot of the early part of the year doing clinics and I sort of ran out of time for that Tri-plane. As such, it was actually painted it in the motel room, at the Nats. So after the 6th flight on the model, I failed to qualify by 3 points. My fault, not the design.
The model has 650 square inches of wing, 80 square inches of horizontal stab/elevator, and 40 square inches of canard. It flew with a one blade prop on an FP-40, and had a mono wheel landing gear. It's actually a very good model. It was actually a proof of concept design. My son Archie Had intended to use the tri-plane approach on his Gemini, but we had linkage problems and we deleted the canard to ease his assembly. It's a concept that I'm going to try again because some of the things it did were incredable. In level flight, it feels like it will never turn, rock solid, but the instant you input control, it just rotates. The 2 stabs at opposite ends of a 48" long fuse hold it level when you want and move it when you want.Really quite amazing. The canard moves down as the elevator moves up. We experimented with the CG and we were able to easily fly the model within a 3" CG range. How many other designs can you move the balance plus or minus 1.5 inches and still have a flyable model. It still exists and I'll try to post some pictures this weekend.I'm actually working on the next generation of that design. I'm going to use one of my son's glass fuses, actually the the glass fuse for his Gemini I . The one pictured in his published article. The canard will be mounted on the cowl separation line and will have abut 15 degrees of anhedral, sort if like the fins on a shark. The original stab/elevator will still be a V, but it will be reduced in size slightly to take the canard in account.
Thanks for asking.

Arch

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2008, 12:30:09 AM »
Arch,

It's always dangerous stepping out of an established envelope with a design. I've had some high aspect planes that drove me nuts. Man, I wish I could just forget the turn the last one would put in. It had other problems that I could never really get to go away completely, but boy could it turn.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2008, 01:07:50 AM »
(snip)
Tom N
Yeah the RNMM "paid" for my knee repair, they sent me a roll of duct tape - postage due.  You know the RNMM: if it doesn't move and it should - WD40, if it moves and it shouldn't - Duct Tape!
(snip)

Nope, if it moves and it shouldn't SHOOT IT!
Plus, a *little* stump hole works MUCH better than WD-40.  Another *Mountain* satellite difference from th e *standard* RNM divisions.

Brother Denny,
When you make it down this way, I will fill you in, personally, on the ins and outs of the RNMM.  Remember this is not only the RED NECK Mafia, but the *MOUNTAIN* division, very clannish and separate. ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2008, 11:46:16 AM »

Brother Denny,
When you make it down this way, I will fill you in, personally, on the ins and outs of the RNMM.  Remember this is not only the RED NECK Mafia, but the *MOUNTAIN* division, very clannish and separate. ;D

GULP!   ~^  :X  :'(  :-\  LL~  LL~  LL~
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2008, 05:06:07 PM »
Hey Bill, is that the group the President won't send to Iraq because they would end the affair too soon and very little would be left of the country.   I remember a few of what was called mountain boys in southern Missouri were not to be trifled with.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2008, 09:16:31 AM »
Hey Bill, is that the group the President won't send to Iraq because they would end the affair too soon and very little would be left of the country.   I remember a few of what was called mountain boys in southern Missouri were not to be trifled with.  DOC Holliday

Doc, you are very perceptive.  Those Southern Missouri are a splinter group. ;D
If the RNMM was to go over there, it wouldn't be pretty, and it would probably mess up the economy since it would be over in a very short time.  y1 LL~

To Brother Denny (not bigiron),  Your status as a Walker Trophy Winner and being the son of Big Art has given you immunity in dealing with the RNMM.  I got that past the rest of the high council fairly easily. ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here