News:

• May 09, 2024, 04:41:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sterling Spit  (Read 18612 times)

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Sterling Spit
« on: April 13, 2014, 06:47:07 AM »
Though I'm not going to do a build thread on this I wanted to share the project a little.  The wing is mostly done and putting the controls in.  For the most part I'm using the kit wood with only a few changes.  The flaps are a hybrid balsa/granite composite that would need 'power tools' to shape so those are being replaced with some 1/4" I found at the LHS that I'd call 7-8#.  The top block isn't really too bad and would be OK hollowed thin but I'll go 4-6# there and the fuse sides I'm going to cut from 7-8# to replace the multi-piece sides in the kit.  This one isn't about weight, just want one piece sides.  My deviations from the kit so far are to add adjustable lead outs that add a limited amount, but some travel.  The flap horn arrangement on the plans show bending a Veco horn for the tapered trailing edge.  Everything about that bothers me so you can see I'm making split horns for the flaps.  Thought I'd put my Delrin controls in but they are overkill and heavy for this so doing it more conventionally.  Putting in a 3" Fox bellcrank I had with brass bushings JBed in.  This machine will get a new K&B Stallion .35.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Sterling Spit
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 06:48:01 AM »
AMA 20934

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 08:37:18 AM »
Yes John I did.  That's why it was a BIG DEAL for me to find and build another.  Sort of a living history project.  Had a Fox in that one.
AMA 20934

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 06:14:17 PM »
Hi Dave,

I have one I built around 1972.  It is still in great shape, maybe 2 dozen flights on it, but it was heavy.  I plan on restoring it with some changes.  Making everything as light as I can and putting on a better finish.  I flew it with a Veco .35.

Denny Adamison built one a couple years ago and powered it with a Green Head Torp. 35.  Said it did fine!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 06:52:39 PM »
Bill I'd like to see a picture if you can.  I'm going to silk mine with a very thin finish.  I saw a great color photo of one in the Aussie AF that I think I'm going to copy.  It's light grey with a grey/green camo.  It's light enough I think I won't lose it in the trees when flying.  My last camo P40 would flat vanish on me on the bottoms and had to go by feel.  No wonder not much hair on my head!  I have somewhere a picture of one at an English museum in all white-winter snow camo I guess.  That would be easy!
AMA 20934

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 09:36:36 PM »

Looks good Dave. Here's another paint scheme you may consider...
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 09:41:27 PM »
Looks good Dave. Here's another paint scheme you may consider...
That sure is pretty.  Did you ever fly that crate?  I just noticed the canopy is tinted.  That's a nice touch I might do to this one.
AMA 20934

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 06:44:39 PM »
 I only got in a couple flights with it right at the end of last season. It seemed like it flew pretty well but the outboard tip was down just slightly, and up inverted. It might not be a bad idea to move the wing up on this design, you might seriously consider doing so if you're not too far along.  

Wayne Willey

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 09:01:56 PM »
Wayne that's a little warp.  Put a small tab, say 3/4" by 4" angled down maybe 15 degrees under the out board wing toward the tip just ahead of the hinge line.  You can use .040 canopy plastic.  Add a 1/2" mounting flange and heat with a heat gun to bend to the desired angle.  Clear bathroom silicone will stick it on until you want it off without a mark on the plane.  Fly the plane to see if its enough/ too much and adjust accordingly.  Don't tweak!!!  Tweak not- break not!  The smallest warp, misalignment or mis-shaping of the leading edge or tip can cause this.  Having just built this elliptical wing i'll attest as to how hard it can be to get this wing straight.  I got creative in jig making.  The wing location in the fuse has nothing to do with what you experienced.  Many of these built and flown without this issue and it  falls within reasonable measures.  Let me know.....
AMA 20934

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 09:09:57 PM »
Wayne that's a little warp.  Put a small tab, say 3/4" by 4" angled down maybe 15 degrees under the out board wing toward the tip just ahead of the hinge line.  You can use .040 canopy plastic.  Add a 1/2" mounting flange and heat with a heat gun to bend to the desired angle.  Clear bathroom silicone will stick it on until you want it off without a mark on the plane.  Fly the plane to see if its enough/ too much and adjust accordingly.  Don't tweak!!!  Tweak not- break not!  The smallest warp, misalignment or mis-shaping of the leading edge or tip can cause this.  Having just built this elliptical wing i'll attest as to how hard it can be to get this wing straight.  I got creative in jig making.  The wing location in the fuse has nothing to do with what you experienced.  Many of these built and flown without this issue and it  falls within reasonable measures.  Let me know.....

That's quite possible Dave, and thanks, but warp or not I do think that moving the wing up to better the vertical CG would help this design.

Wayne Willey

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 07:23:51 AM »
The 'thing ' about that though is that would change the design and would, should make it not eligible for classic competition.   I do tend to see the world through that lens.  I guess if I can't compete with something then I won't build it.  Regardless of the cause the tab should fix it.  Now to the flying field- test flying Asteroid today!
AMA 20934

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 08:50:01 AM »
Yep, in some parts of this great land you would get your hands slapped for moving the wing up in a Classic Plane for competition.   Umlands kit is as close as you can get to the Sterling kit without the die crunch and heavy wood. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 12:50:15 PM »
The 'thing ' about that though is that would change the design and would, should make it not eligible for classic competition.   I do tend to see the world through that lens.  I guess if I can't compete with something then I won't build it.  Regardless of the cause the tab should fix it.  Now to the flying field- test flying Asteroid today!

I agree Dave, and I typically stick with that approach as well. I'm just pointing out that if someone was building one of these and wanted to try to "upgrade" the flight qualities that moving the wing up would be something to consider.

Wayne Willey

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 03:47:25 PM »
Yes you could fiddle with the design and improve it to today's standards.  If we were going to follow that through we'd add some tail volume and might pull the tail back among other things.  I think I'd rather just get out a clean sheet of paper and start drawing.  Never was one to bash much but that's why this hobby offers so much.  You can order ala cart and hold the mayo....
AMA 20934

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 04:14:03 PM »
Just as an interesting aside,  I test flew the Asteroid today.  It did exactly what you are describing the Spit does; outside tip down.  Sure can't see any warps but obviously a little something.  In my building thread you will find a full on side view photo of the plane.  No chance really of a vertical CG problem, at least in that direction.  Yet the same issue.  I quickly fixed that before the second flight.  These airplanes are my first with segmented flaps.  The outer 5" are separate from the inner section but tied together with a 1/16" music wire joiner.  This allowed an easy field tweak of about 1/8" on each flap that instantly solved the problem.  What caused it?  Who cares- its history. 
AMA 20934

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 04:27:48 PM »
On this April 15th tax day I know my retirement plan is in order.
AMA 20934

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 04:47:56 PM »
I love Hurricanes ....  prettiest ugly fighter plane ever flown in combat ...
Joe Daly

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 05:59:10 PM »
I love Hurricanes ....  prettiest ugly fighter plane ever flown in combat ...
They are a favorite of mine.  Maybe even like it better than a Spit.
AMA 20934

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 08:42:22 AM »
You will have those done before summer gets here. LL~ LL~ I know you better than that.   Projects for next building season, right?  My self I build year round.  Guess that is why I don't get much flying in.  Would have made it out yesterday, but grand kids and school interfered. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 10:01:05 AM »
You will have those done before summer gets here. LL~ LL~ I know you better than that.   Projects for next building season, right?  My self I build year round.  Guess that is why I don't get much flying in.  Would have made it out yesterday, but grand kids and school interfered. 
I don't think I'll get them all built quite that soon.  I will likely build one a year around my other projects which means I will have them built BEFORE I retire.  Never fear,  my backlog of plan sets for building might outlive me.  Yesterday I got in three flights on the new one and broke in a K&B .35 series 70.  Wasn't out long and you didn't miss much.  The wind started up and I headed for the barn.  The bit about building during flying weather; I'm trying to break the habit but still fall off the wagon some.
AMA 20934

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 08:31:59 AM »
Well when it is too windy or it's raining, what else is there to do, other than the computer.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2014, 05:42:14 PM »
Hey Trib
I built a Sterling Spit awhile back, powered with a K&B 35GH just like the one my dad built in 1962 or so.  I did mine in Canadian Naval colors.  Looks great flies great.  Prepare to be amazed at how this 1958 (or so) design performs...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 06:35:17 PM »
Oh... Ah... That's cool Denny!  I like it.  These things just always look good.  I know they can fly well too.  'They' knew what they were doing even back when we were kids...just after Lincoln.  Mine suddenly stopped when I got my  toys from Igor.  Trying to remember anything I ever knew about electronics.  The wing is done and should get back to it soon.  Thank you for the photos.  Like to download those....hmm...
AMA 20934

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2014, 09:48:41 PM »

That's a great looking Spitfire Dennis, I don't think I've ever seen a "Canuck" one.

Wayne Willey

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2014, 06:27:05 AM »
Not much prettier than the Spitfire wing planform.  Tempts me to enlarge and use it on a 'super stunter'.   Inching along.
AMA 20934

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2014, 06:27:57 AM »
Those split horns installed.
AMA 20934

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2014, 09:34:22 AM »
Dave, you need some 00 silkspan for that bird.   If you want it come by and get it.   Give me a call first as I usually don't get up before 0900 and back to bed about 2000.  Oh, sometimes I even stay up till 2200. LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2014, 09:54:14 AM »
Not much prettier than the Spitfire wing planform.  Tempts me to enlarge and use it on a 'super stunter'.   Inching along.

Dave, If possible, I'd be curious how much your wing weighs just like it is there?  I've also got one about that far along, cept it's been stuck at that stage since about 1988  LL~ LL~.  Mine ust feels heavy as a brick HB~>  I'm ust curious what others weigh I guess. H^^

Looking good so far though!
I've started plenty...would be nice to finish something!!!

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2014, 11:01:20 AM »
I like the split flap horns ....
Joe Daly

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2014, 11:35:42 AM »
Dennis I'll get it for tonight.. Out earning the daily bread.  Mine too feels a bit chunky but the rest of the airplane is pretty minimal so most weight is concentrated in the wing.  One could build these from all 4-6# wood but I'm not sure the thing would be stiff enough what with the 1/8" sq. spars and such.  I think they were designed around using harder wood.  A lot of FF airplanes used this idea.  Minimal structure with harder wood to resist flex and warpage.  Anyway I'll get you a number when I can.
AMA 20934

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2014, 12:52:08 PM »
Dave, you need some 00 silkspan for that bird.   If you want it come by and get it.   Give me a call first as I usually don't get up before 0900 and back to bed about 2000.  Oh, sometimes I even stay up till 2200. LL~ LL~
John I'm going to cover this in that new Thai silk I got.  Cross your fingers!
AMA 20934

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2014, 01:17:18 PM »
Hi Dave,

Looking at the picture of the kits you have I realized I had four of them at one time, myself.  I had the Nobler and the Ares as a "kid", then got the Spitfire and Skylark after I was married.  And, as I said, I still have the Spitfire.  A friend of mine wanted the Skylark so we swapped, I got a Sig Akrobat in the swap.

Sometime later I will tell a pretty funny story that Bill W. told me about the Ambroid Ares kit.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
Bill as a teen I built all these except the Dolphin.  Don't remember ever seeing a Jetco kit in the KC area.  Maybe the jobbers doing business with the hobby shops here didn't carry them.  The one I really screwed up was the Skylark in three ways.  It was pretty but too heavy.  I built my first control hardware for it and it was real junk.  And finally I learned about the sin of sharp leading edges.  I hope to do better next time.

BTW Bill. I found a Red Head Merco .35 to put in the Warburton Tony.  Be nice if the mounting is the same as the Blackstreak.  Haven't checked it out yet.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 04:09:57 PM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2014, 04:46:20 PM »
Hi Dave,

You will like the Red Head Merco.  A true Classic engine run, etc..

The Skylark is on my bucket list, but I am going to built the ".46" size from plans by Bill Byles and Ed Southwick.  It is Classic legal and Ed used the McCoy .40RH to the best of my knowledge.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2014, 05:03:36 PM »
I met Bill at a Nats (which one?) when he was flying that Skylark.  Very fine it was.  I'm pretty sure he must have had something bigger than the Mac.40 in it though.   Dale Gleason kicks it with a regular size machine w/ Tigre .51.    I'm thinking either Red Head Mac or Series 21 in mine.  I sure don't know what Bill had in his but the airplane was every bit Tigre .46 size and that's what most of us were using at the time.  If there are plans to that available I'd like to get a set.....
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:51:26 PM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2014, 09:03:40 PM »
Dave are you talking about Ed Southwick's  Skylark that was kitted by Sterling?  I think I had the first one in KC way back then.  Made the mistake of building the wing in two halves.   Then a few years ago I copied a Skylark kit and built the wing in one piece.   Great flying plane.   By the Ed used the then new McCoy Redhead .40 that Dick McCoy set up for him.   Lost a great couple in the Southwick's.  Was always great to see them at VSC.

A side note the last time I seen Darrel Palmer he still had the old green Skylark I built.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2014, 09:21:24 PM »
John, Bill and I are talking about two airplanes.  The original Sterling kit and an enlarged version that Bill Byles had.  It looked identical but enlarged quite a bit-say 10% or more.  I'd have put it around 700 sq. in.  I did not know it was classic legal.  That would make it at least three or four years older than I knew about.  I sort of think Bills was orange or red.  Maybe he'll see this and chime in.
I put the Spitfire wing as shown on the scale;  14 ounces with one ounce of tip weight and adjustable leadout guide and landing gear installed.  No feather but I'm sure it will be fine.  Going to use a plastic clunk tank and feather light wheels to cut some.  Didn't have those luxuries in the old days.  Not going crazy on finish either.
AMA 20934

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2014, 10:12:39 PM »
Thanks Dave,  I need to work on mine then, it's at 13oz without the flaps but with two big Dubro  wheels.  I haven't done any final shaping yet, so it may come down some.  Either way, I guess I feel a bit better  y1  Looking forward to seeing yours done  H^^
I've started plenty...would be nice to finish something!!!

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2014, 03:05:19 AM »

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2014, 06:58:54 AM »
Great pix Matt!   Aussie Spits I bet.  Didn't everything get the sharks mouth?
AMA 20934

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2014, 01:05:28 PM »
I met Bill at a Nats (which one?) when he was flying that Skylark.  Very fine it was.  I'm pretty sure he must have had something bigger than the Mac.40 in it though.   Dale Gleason kicks it with a regular size machine w/ Tigre .51.    I'm thinking either Red Head Mac or Series 21 in mine.  I sure don't know what Bill had in his but the airplane was every bit Tigre .46 size and that's what most of us were using at the time.  If there are plans to that available I'd like to get a set.....

Hi Dave,

When I was talking to Bill about the Skylark, he said Ed had built them in 3 sizes.  The one Sterling kitted at a 52" WS, the one he was using when he went to the WC at 56" WS, and a ".60 size" (can't remember the WS).  There wasn't a ST .46 available so he used the McCoy .40 set up by Dick McCoy in his 56" model back in the day.  He was using the ST .46 before his passing in the 56" model.  I'm pretty sure Dale is using the 56" model.  Bill has plans that he did with Ed for the 56" model.  That is the one on my bucket list.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2014, 02:26:57 PM »
Thanks Bill.  I didn't know about 3.  I'd wager the one I saw was the .60 size.  Maybe Dale will be up here with his for the Topeka contest.  I'll sneak over and measure it.  My uncle (Bill Noyes) sent me a picture when I was a kid of the two Skylarks he had at that time and was flying there in California.  That picture suspiciously looks like the same picture on the Sterling kit box......wish I knew if I still had that picture somewhere-doubt it.
AMA 20934

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2014, 02:46:57 PM »
Those split horns installed.

Just for the record.  You suggest that this wing is not intended for a serious competitive CLPA model.  There is nothing wrong with putting split flap horns on a sport ship.  However, for those contemplating split horns for a competitive CLPA model, it would behoove one to heed the words and practices of a serious multi national CLPA champion who has been quoted that there is no such thing as flaps that are too stiff and for a flap control horn to be too stiff.  That individual goes to great length to avoid using any form of split flat horns on his models though those models have noticeable swept forward flap hinge lines and dihedral.  The problem with split flap horns is that they allow the flaps to flex unsymmetrically because of the different loads on the flaps while maneuvering.  They cause trim problems in roll and yaw that are virtually impossible to correct.  For a sport model, fine, but for trimming for ultimate performance in the maneuvers, split flap horns are to be avoided.  There are solutions to minimize excessive flexing from one flap to the other caused by flexible or split flap horns.

Please note that I am not condemning the example shown in this thread.  I am just explaining that for those that have not experienced these things, that split flap horns are not a good thing to use on a CLPA model intended for serious competition.  For sport fliers, they can work just fine.  But for the golden arms at the top of the food chain, they are to be avoided.

Keith

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2014, 03:17:20 PM »
Hi Keith.  I think this WAS a serious model but I meant more about sizing it up for modern .61+ piped engines.  The design is sound enough.  For a ship this size I think I've made the split horns stiff enough.  My concern about bending a straight horn for the tapered trailing edge is two-fold.  The geometry puts the horn in something of a mechanical bind,  putting wear and stress on hinges and horn.  Also bending the horn here weakens the horn and might fracture the braze.  The split horns at least get around these issues.  I've done this a few times in previous years also with V tailed airplanes where a 30 degree angle made it nessessary.  If the pushrod fork is stiff and close then I don't think there is much compromised.
AMA 20934

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2014, 05:24:38 PM »
Hi Keith.  I think this WAS a serious model but I meant more about sizing it up for modern .61+ piped engines.  The design is sound enough.  For a ship this size I think I've made the split horns stiff enough.  My concern about bending a straight horn for the tapered trailing edge is two-fold.  The geometry puts the horn in something of a mechanical bind,  putting wear and stress on hinges and horn.  Also bending the horn here weakens the horn and might fracture the braze.  The split horns at least get around these issues.  I've done this a few times in previous years also with V tailed airplanes where a 30 degree angle made it nessessary.  If the pushrod fork is stiff and close then I don't think there is much compromised.

I am not quite sure what you mean when you write about not wanting to bend the horn.  Of course, a horn that is bent to match the flap forward sweep will bind and resist any deflection.  (However, there is another solution here, but it sort of goes beyond the scope of this discussion.)

You would be surprised that with the relatively small amount of forward swept flaps that is shown in your photo that a single straight flap horn will work.  Then, there is no compromise of excessive flexing from one flap to the other.  I know it does not make sense because intuitively, one would think that as soon as the flaps start to deflect, there would be a bind that would restrict the movement of the flaps after a few degrees of deflection.  That does not happen.  Bill Werwage showed us that with his Juno that appears to have more forward sweep than your wing shows.  My explanation for this single horn operation is that there is enough flex in the wood around the horn as well as flexing in the hinges and the wood holding the hinges that binding due to flap deflection does not start to occur until well beyond the 30 to 35 degrees maximum deflection of the flaps.  I have no small amount of experience regarding this matter.  I am just saying that for those who have not yet delved into this matter of swept forward flaps and dihedral, and top performance is desired, a split flap horn is not a desirable solution.  Particularly when other solutions are available.

Yes, I am sure your model will be fully capable of flying a stunt pattern, and it will probably be totally satisfactory to you.  It is just that better performance can be had with a properly installed single flap horn.  It will avoid trim problems that will be encountered due to unequal flexing of the flaps during the maneuvers, particularly how the airplane responds in all of the eights and four leaf clover.

An alternative is to use "Lucky Boxes" which use only a single horn with the horn wire able to translate inside the flap.  I have the elevators of a scale Swee' Pea Goodyear racer that has 40o dihedral under each side of the stabilizer with a single horn, using Lucky Boxes.  The operation is completely smooth and there is no "slop" or any excessive flexing of the elevators from one side to the other.

And before anyone jumps to conclusions, the famous multi-time National Champions referenced in my previous post is not Bill Werwage with his Juno referenced above.

Keith
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 06:08:56 PM by Trostle »

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2014, 06:33:24 PM »
Very pretty plane Keith!!!  Seems I did the lucky boxes once and yes they sure worked fine.  A straight horn across the TE would probably been fine too.  The plans call for bending a straight Veco horn and no apparent bearings or binding to the wing trailing edge.  That would work for a while but I wouldn't think good over a lot of flying.  This way I expect the bird will be around long after I am.
AMA 20934

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2014, 06:33:48 PM »
May've mentioned this once before: Fort Benning, GA, 1964, flew someone's Sterling Spit' and was amazed by its performance.  Granted, it had no real finish...a dusting of overall grey paint...K&B .35 GH power.

It was a joy to fly.  Turned extremely tight corners on Squares and Wingover...very close to the asphalt.

Then again, that was with then-24-year-old reflexes.  Wouldn't want to try it today.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2014, 01:20:21 AM »
John, Bill and I are talking about two airplanes.  The original Sterling kit and an enlarged version that Bill Byles had.  It looked identical but enlarged quite a bit-say 10% or more.  I'd have put it around 700 sq. in.  I did not know it was classic legal.  That would make it at least three or four years older than I knew about.  I sort of think Bills was orange or red.  Maybe he'll see this and chime in.
I put the Spitfire wing as shown on the scale;  14 ounces with one ounce of tip weight and adjustable leadout guide and landing gear installed.  No feather but I'm sure it will be fine.  Going to use a plastic clunk tank and feather light wheels to cut some.  Didn't have those luxuries in the old days.  Not going crazy on finish either.

Hi Dave,

The Skylark that Ed originally designed & built in the mid/late fifties had a 56" span and was powered by a McCoy Red Head .40.  When Sterling was going to kit the airplane Ed Southwick went to dinner with Ed Manulkin (owner of Sterling at the time) & Manulkin showed Ed Southwick the plans to be included with the kitted Skylark.  As was normal for Sterling the plans were a preliminary assembly drawing shown step by step and did not have a size reference.  As kitted the Sterling Skylark was smaller than Ed's design, apparently to fit the kit boxes.  Ed Southwick told me that he was really disappointed with Sterling's kit due to the fact that Ed Manulkin did not tell him about the size reduction.  The kit airplane flies really well, but Ed Southwick much preferred the 56" span original version.  Sterling then wanted to kit Ed's Lark, but Ed was pretty disappointed with Sterling by then and declined to have them kit it.

In about 1993 I started to build a Skylark from the original plans & patterns from Ed and remembered that back in the day when I was building Larks & Skylarks there were some errors/incosistencies in the original plans.  As a mechanical engineer I offered to re-draw the plans for Ed.  He gladly accepted & that is how I came to re-draw the plans for both the Lark (Ed's design that preceded the Skylark) and the Skylark.

I met you at the 1995 Nats in Tri-Cities, Washington state.  I flew my Lark (Super Tigre .46) in classic, and my own enlarged version of Ed's Skylark in Open.  The Skylark I flew was 60" span powered by a Randy Smith OS .46VF with a Smith-Werwage tuned pipe setup.  It had 722 square inches (it was not classic legal) but was really overweight; I was lucky to end up in the top 20 with it.  I painted it red (Porsche Guards Red) overall with two trim colors.  

I also purchased an Impact kit from you at that Nats which you shipped to me after the Nats.  That was an extremely nice kit with good wood selected for both weight & grain type and accurately cut.  With a PA engine on a tuned pipe the Impact finished up at 59 ounces and was a really good flyer.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 03:26:40 PM by billbyles »
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2014, 07:17:38 AM »
Hello Bill.  Thanks for the back story and filling in for my failed memory.  Your big Skylark was impressive to me and sure a beautiful thing.  Skylarks have a special classy look about them somehow,  the distinct rudder shape and unusual cowling to me stand out.  One of the earliest stunters I saw as a youngster was a pretty metallic blue one here in KC built and flown by local legend Ray Reinschmitt.  A thing awesome to me.  Now I'm curious; the original 56" span airplane.  Was the span just longer (higher aspect ratio) or was it larger by scale overall?  In other words what would it take to your memory to get a kit Skylark up to the 56" version?  I bought an after market set of plans off the bay a while back. I should dig those up and see what it is.  Another question is what larger version is classic legal.  Is that the one you had in Washington?  I have a new PA .51 looking for a job.

It's very nice to hear from you and I hope you get out to Muncie one of these times.  I know it's a haul for you.  And thank you for your kind words about the Impact kit.  Wish I could today get the kind of wood I did in those days.  Riley was sure I got good stuff.

I checked the plans I bought-straight kit version.  They do have a full size fuselage drawing that the Sterling kit doesn't.  That seems to be a common thing for Sterling.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 07:44:16 AM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2014, 01:41:48 PM »
Hi Dave,

(from the "other Bill")  I think a PA .51 in the 56" Skylark would be a knock out set up.  I would go with the rear muffler for Classic and it would do a great job everywhere short of Top 5 Day at the NATS.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here