News:

• May 12, 2024, 11:31:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sterling Ringmaster  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Fred DiMaria

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Sterling Ringmaster
« on: September 22, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
Built from an old Sterling kit.

I finished the fuse and tail with a combination of Sig and Brodak dope, wings are monokote.

I am only recently getting reinterested in C/L, I built a few of them as a kid, but transitioned to R/C at 13.  I am now re-discovering C/L.  This is my first real attempt to obtain a decent paint job using dope, and I give myself a C+.  The fillets got messed up as I used epoxolite for the main fillets which worked fine. I used the ultra lightweight white filler to do final detail on the fillets, which is NOT compatible with dope. The dope blows up like a balloon! Note to myself for next control line airplane, which is a Brodak Tomahawk!

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
Re: Sterling Ringmaster
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 10:00:42 AM »
Nice job, Fred, she's a beauty. What kind of power plant have you got in mind for it?
Looking forward to a flight report.
Welcome to Stunthangar.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 11:41:24 AM »
Hi Fred,Nice ship!!Can't have a Ringmaster without a little checkerboard.Welcome to Stunhangerand back to model airplane flying like it was meant to be.I got back in C/L about 5 years ago and I love every minute of it.There is a FANTASTIC bunch of people in this hobby and I am glad to meet each and every one.We're all airheads(Not the blonde kind) and that makes it fun.The best part is you don't have to walk as far to pick up disbris after you wreck,It's usually 70' or less away LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

You're gonna love it!!!!  Trax
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Fred DiMaria

• 24 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 02:09:29 PM »
Thanks, I drilled it for a Fox .35. That may be more than I can handle, the Ringmaster (and a Goldberg Cosmic Wind) with an Enya .19, and that had plenty of power.

I have been flying a ARF Bi-Slob, so I am not completely rusty, but I a little worried about the Ringmaster.  Also, I never really flew any stunts, just circles and an occasional loop.

Anyway, I am glad to get back into it.

Offline 55chevr

• 2016 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 06:58:19 PM »
Ringmaster on 60' lines with a Fox 35 should be no problem.  If it is too fast slow it done with less prop.   

Joe
Joe Daly

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 11:32:08 AM »
Ringmasters and Fox 35's just go together. Not sure why but something about the short nose seems to alleviate a lot of the bad vibes in the nose and the Fox runs very well, at least for me and others that I fly with. My friend Andrew Hathaway has one that is the best running flying Fox 35 powered Ringmaster that I have ever seen. It runs very steady from begining to end.
Jim Kraft

Offline James C. Martin

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 07:46:25 PM »
have been flying this one for years on a fox 35 and it has seen a couple foxes , like the way it runs

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 03:21:43 PM »
Fox 35 = Duke's Revenge from the grave.
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags: