News:

• April 28, 2024, 08:29:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Smoothy on the Grass  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Smoothy on the Grass
« on: January 29, 2008, 11:16:16 AM »
Since so much of the U.S. is either soak'in wet or snowy white, thought I'd throw down a pic of my recently finished Smoothy.  No ARF, no ARC, just ol' fashin kit bashin.  Started w/ a Brodak Smoothy kit and the picture of Bob Palmer featured on the Veco plans.  Paint scheme is based on that photo.  Power was a Brodak 40, since changed to an OS-35S, finish Brodak dope, weight 42 ounces. First flights have been encouraging.  y1
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Bill Ervin

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Smoothy on the Grass
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 12:26:22 PM »
Well done Pete, classic scheme using classic colors.  Do you ever get to make it out to Whittier anymore?  Maybe I'll get a chance to see this beauty in person.

Bill

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 02:57:14 PM »
Thanks for the compliment Bill.  Haven't been out to Whittier Narrows in a long while but as I am now semi-retired, hope to get down south to fly more often.  I also plan to be at VSC this year.  #^
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Peter Hess

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 05:33:46 PM »
That is a great looking plane, Pete.  Just out of curiosity, what prompted you to change from a Brodak 40 to an OS 35S?
Peter Hess
Canton, CT
AMA 485070

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 06:17:29 PM »
I thought someone might ask that question.  I'm a big fan of Brodak 40's but in this application it just seemed like too much power.  Airplane is relatively light w/thin airfoil and it was flying too fast, the pattern felt rushed.  I could have experimented w/props and line length etc. but a B-40 still likes to run a high speed 4-2-4 (or high speed 4) and with a classic plane I prefer a lower RPM, more traditional run w/ a prounounced break.  It also helped that I have a couple of nice 35-S' and have been looking for an excuse to use them.  ;D
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 11:28:31 PM »
Pete,

Very pretty. I like it.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 02:01:42 PM »
NICE job Pete!

That inverted engine looks SOOOO much better than the upright...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 11:48:39 PM »
Super job, Pete. I didn't know you were doing the inverted engine version. I dig the paint. Is this the plane that's going with us to VSC? At least take it to show it off a little!
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 12:21:29 PM »
Hey Clint - But of course it will be accompanying your Chipmunk to Tucson.  That's what  I built it for.  I also heard from a completely unreliable source that inverting the engine on a Smoothy is known as the "Jack Sheeks Mod" so it will feel right at home at VSC XX  LL~
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 07:36:14 PM by Pete Cunha »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 06:54:14 PM »
Very nice, Pete. Will we be seeing it at Woodland this spring? I love the design and have two Smoothies, one Brodak "original Smoothie" and one ARF take-apart. Plus an unbuilt Dumas kit. The Dumas (so-called) plans show inverted mounting as an option, with the engine removed from the TOP though a hatch! Palmer built a variety of noses on his designs. Thus, here is evidence an inverted engine Smoothie is legit in Classic and maybe OTS though not sure the inverted engine variant was around by Dec 52.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 07:47:17 PM »
If I can get this one to fly as well as your do Mike, I will be very happy.  The original Veco kit also shows a sketch of an inverted pointy nose/no cowl version as well as the cowled version so I think that it would be eligible for OTS.  I wanted the classic inverted look but the construction is a contemporary V-splitter cowled front end. Hopefully I will be putting in a lot of time at Woodland this year - whenever it stops raining. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 02:42:58 PM »
Pete, you're making me blush! No way any of my Smoothies is as pretty as your new baby and I'm sure they don't fly any better. I know the pilot doesn't. Look forward to seeing the newest member of the family. Now, don't I need an  inverted-engine Smoothie too??

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here