News:

• May 09, 2024, 05:11:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Smoothie  (Read 6559 times)

Offline Randy Snow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Smoothie
« on: April 01, 2015, 11:03:54 AM »
I read it some where but can't recall where hopefully someone can help:: Palmer's as originally designed and built Smoothie had a thicker airfoil. When Cal Smith drew the plans for M.A.N. it had been modified for Veco's kitting of this model .. a thinner airfoil for kitting. Is there any plans for this model that have what Palmer originally designed? If so how can I get a copy?

Offline Larry Borden

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Smoothie
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 11:16:56 AM »
How close is the Brodak Smoothie to the original Veco kit? What are the differences?

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 02:14:07 PM »
The complete tail,stab and elevator is larger on the Brodak. I think the moments are different also. It is like the Viking thing all over again. Afew years back I posted a picture from a early veco kit and Bobs plane looked quite a bit different than the kit. Just use the Brodak one as it come as no one seems to care if it is different or can prove it one way or the other.  The one thing I liked about the Veco kit was the inverted motor. Bobs plane has very rounded rudder and elevator stab  ends.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 04:19:37 PM »
Brodak Smoothie can easily be modified for the inverted cowled engine version. I think John Miller may even have a plan showing how it's done. He did the original plans for Brodak. It is a good kit.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 06:30:14 AM »
The Smoothie in its iterations is one of those perplexing airplanes.   The version published in the magazine was different than the one that went into the kit: airfoil, wing area even the span.  John Miller posted that he did the plans/laser files for the Brodak kit, and that he worked directly from pencil drawings supplied by Bob Palmer of his original Smoothie.  The plan supplied by Palmer to Miller for the Brodak version differs from the published or the Veco kitted version.  It has a better airfoil, more like a T-bird instead of that laminar flow edition that went into the magazine and the kit, and it has 540 squares, which is larger than the Veco or (I think) the published version.  As noted, John Miller also did and addendum to the plans for the inverted engine configuration like the Veco kit.  Personally I think that is the best looking.

So which is correct? ALL of them.

I have flown the Brodak and it flies well.  I watched Phil Spilman's Smoothie built from the magazine plans (first one I ever saw) and it also flies well. Way back in the early 1960's my brother built one from the Veco kit, flew it maybe 3-4 times before he sold it...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Snow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 08:50:40 AM »
a great thanks to everyone for their input on this. When I'm ready to build a Smoothie I'll go with the plans from Brodak... I have an original copy of what was published in M.A.N. ... but once I heard about the difference in it and what Palmer had originally designed I needed to now. So again thanks to all of you.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 09:13:20 AM »
One year at the Brodak Fly In I had the pleasant opportunity to chat with Mr. Palmer quite a bit.  One discussion was about the Smoothie.  He assured me the plans to the Brodak kit was the first version Smoothie.  I take his word on that!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 12:43:18 PM »
I just measured the Brodak Smoothie wing, measures 1 23/32" as best as I can tell.  n~
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here