News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:07:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sanding out the Novi  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Sanding out the Novi
« on: March 11, 2007, 09:45:28 PM »
Well, It's almost ready to polish. sheesh, what a pain. Happens when you are trying out new stuff. I tried a lot of new paint technique ideas on this plane and some came out pretty well while others were, uh, less than optimum. One thing I'll never do again is put pearls in the clear coat unless I have a really nice day to paint and am not at all in a hurry. I've spent more time fixing boo-boos in the clearcoat than I didn't building the plane. Not too bad overall, but it will have many mistakes that will just have to live there.

I'll shoot some pictures as soon as it's done. Maybe the end of the week...if I don't just throw it in the rack in disgust and start a new plane.  :)
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Sanding out the Novi
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 11:12:54 PM »
Sorry for your struggles Randy, hope it all works out in the end, hey with all these problems it will probably fly great right? and if not, well just remember, I have lots of storage room in my rack if you are really really disgusted with it.
seriously, best of luck with the "detailing"
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 03:43:36 PM »
Randy I see you've reached that point of dissatisfaction with your plane. Seems to be a syndrome you and I both share.
Post Build Distress Syndrome???

Last week I put up brighter lights in my shop. I'd taken the LA Heat upstairs so as to avoid dropping a screwdriver on it or some such.........when I put the plane under the light I found a dozen new things wrong with it. Such as dings, overspray and a red fingerprint in a white area.

I feel your pain.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 08:40:26 PM »
If it ever stops raining, I'll get out and fly the thing. If it's a good flier, I suspect my "dissatisfaction" will be somewhat moderated.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 05:17:39 PM »
I read your post on the Heat thread Randy.
You say you flew the Novi and that you are happy. So I guess this means the plane came out at an acceptable weight and that you like the way it flies. After the "Toad" I'll bet this is a very welcome sensation.
It's great to have a brand new plane at the beginning of a brand new season. I hope you get to kick some stunt butt with it.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 03:43:15 PM »
Frank,

Possibly, but I'm more concerned with having a great deal of fun with it. That was the thing that struck me flying it. Right in the middle of the first flight when I had decided that there might be a couple of minor trim things I would play with but overall, it seemed to be flying pretty well it suddenly hit me. Man, I'm having fun. This thing is really fun to fly.

So yea, it's moved from the dissatisfaction at what really are minor concerns with the finish to gee, what a kick to fly.

It seems the last few years I either got a classic plane with a great engine run, but the airframe didn't fly very well for one reason or another or I got a really good flying plane that I couldn't get a decent engine run on. It seems I've finally managed to get both at the same time; a good flying plane with a good engine setup. Nirvanna!
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 07:07:22 PM »
It's great to have a plane that flies and you get a good engine run with it too. The best thing is---now that you're there you can pretty much get the same thing out of all your future planes. It just seems to click in.

I couldn't even get a qualifying run for my first three years!! Shoot-

I'm happy it's working for you. Sounds like winning contests or placing is more a side deal for you and the mainline is just having a plane you can count on that flies well. You know having fun flying is the first step toward being somewhere in the upper half of stunt. I'm happy to have a pretty plane that flies a respectable pattern. Winning is good but being there is what's happening.

ENJOY!!
Frank Carlisle

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 11:41:10 AM »
Frank,

Amen! I go to contests with Paul Walker, Ted Fancher, Brett Buck and host of other top drawer experts. My goal is to just not be last.

Oh, and beating Dirty Dan. That usually makes my day.   LL~
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 04:20:38 PM »
Ah--beating Dirty Dan......Man I love the stuff he writes.

Frank Carlisle

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here