News:

• April 30, 2024, 11:08:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RSM Tucker Special  (Read 3458 times)

Offline Bill Diedrich

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
RSM Tucker Special
« on: May 09, 2009, 07:34:06 PM »
Can someone tell me if this kit is I-Beam or standard
rib type wing construction?

Thanks,

Bill D.
"To be old is to be wise"
AMA 867732
Ventress, Louisiana

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: RSM Tucker Special
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 08:10:13 PM »
Hi Bill...
I believe that it is a "D" tube...

Offline Bill Diedrich

• AMA Member
  • Ensign
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 05:44:30 AM »
Thanks Peabody, just what I needed to know.

Bill D.
AMA 867732
Ventress, Louisiana

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 02:45:31 PM »
Erics Laser cut kit is top notch.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bill Diedrich

• AMA Member
  • Ensign
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 04:24:38 AM »
Thanks for posting a pic of the Tucker Special, Leester,
real nice looking plane.  A plane that has those timeless
classic lines to her.

I agree with the quality of the kits Eric produces, I have
his Don Still Stuka in the build line up for later this year.

Bill D.
AMA 867732
Ventress, Louisiana

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 09:34:15 AM »
Is this Tucker different than the one Blue Sky Models makes?  Also the laser cut kits are great.  Still waiting on ribs R-5 and R-6 for my HumBug.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 02:25:10 PM »
Doc,

I don't make the "Tucker Special". I have numerous rib sets available in addition to the JD Falcon,  Roadrunner, Profile RR, and Great Lakes Stunter Short kit.

I am planning on a never kitted Oldtimer, and a new, simple to build, design to step up from Profiles (.40 engines).

Currently I am finishing some airplanes for other people, then I will have to be selfish for a while to build some new airplanes for myself.

AMA 7544

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 02:30:27 PM »
Hi Doc, I'll jump in here.  I think you are thinking of the Tucker 4 which is produced by Bill Sawyer.  It is a different design, has an I-beam wing and quite a few other differences. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 03:11:24 PM »
The Tucker 4 is in production but not finished. It is an i-beam with a 50 inch span. You can see the build up at Windancer Models under Vendors corner on here. Personal reasons have prevented me from finishing the kits before now. Hopefully they will be done soon. I will post on the boards when they are done.

Bill Sawyer
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 08:51:49 AM »
Thanks fellows for not getting on me too hard.  It like the personal manager at the Neighborhood Market told me.  You have to consider my age.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 05:09:59 PM »
As the person that restored the original Tucker 4 and drew the plans which appeared in Stunt News I can give the following information on the Tucker series of airplanes.  The original Tucker Special was designed in the late 50's and quite a few were built by the guys in the St. Louis area.  I remember seeing at least a half dozen at one contest as Buder Park shortly after the control line field was built there in the early 60's. In talks with some of the flyer's from the area including Bob Tucker and Ron O'Toole, I think I have a pretty good handle on the design.  The first models had slightly larger wings and only one inch of asymmetry.  They also had fuse mounted gear and most had deeper sub rudders with the tail wheel buried in the tail.  Tail shapes were slightly different on different builder's planes.  The American Modeller published version went to a smaller sub rudder, wing mounted gear and two inches of wing asymmetry.  The wing was one inch less in span.  The Tucker 4 was a completely different design with highly tapered LE and TE on the wing.  The general shape went from the MC 72 to the Supermarine S6B.  This may have been a takeoff of Ron O"Toole's restyled Tucker that was at the Dallas Nats in 1960 and which Don McClave and I did an article on in Stunt News about 2 years ago.  Only the Tucker 4 was an I beam design.  All the others were C-tube wings
I've just completed one of the original Tuckers with it's first flights last weekend.  Here are some pics of the restored Tucker 4 and the new "Original" Tucker.   

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 06:34:06 PM »
Some time ago I signed a contract with Bob Tucker to produce the kits of the Tucker 4. I hired Pat Johnston to produce autocad files for laser cutting and a set of plans to use with the kits. The contract ensures the production of the kits will provide funds for Bob's medical care. Since I paid Pat Johnston to produce the plans and the laser cutting files, the work he did for me is legally owned by me and is my copyrighted property.
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 06:44:45 PM »
Alan R:
Thank you for the back-story on the Tuckers.  Than you too for the pix.

* On the red one, you seem to have the deep sub fin - is that shown on any plan or did you eyeball that off some of the published pix?

* Surprised I never noticed this before: the original Tuckers looked like Macchi's but the T4 looks like a Supermarine.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 10:26:13 PM »
Looks great as usual Alan. the old Tucker design reminds me of the ST 60 ships you flew in the 80s. Man I loved those ships.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 05:53:45 AM »
Dennis,
The new red Tucker is indeed the Original with the deep sub rudder.  When I did the plans for the O'Toole Tucker ( the S6B version) I decided I'd do some research on the original and then drew up plans for it.  I'll probably put it in Stunt News in the near future.
Alan

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 03:24:54 PM »
Alan,

Sorry to hear about the Original Tucker. Didn't sound like a lot of fun.

Hey, a bit of new wood and some paint and you'll be good as new.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 03:41:49 PM »
I did what is commonly referred to in the Northwest as "doing a Powell", ran out of elevator on the second outside square and the rudder caught the pavement.  A skinned nose and windshield and broken fuse plus a slightly reduced size rudder.  Should be good as new by the time of the Stuntathon.  Needed about 2 more inches.  Life is hell sometimes.
Alan

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 04:52:34 PM »
I to heard of Alan's  "Powell" manuever. glad to see that my special manuevers have not earned ME such a warm label Randy! lol,,
its been a tough month for classic ships, Randys Shoestring is still argumentative,, Alan's Tucker, my Avenger,, hmm wonder what the Regionals will bring.
Hope the trend is ending, I have pulled "Lindas" Oriental off the wall, she says if I crash it I cant come home! hmm wonder how much a couple hundred pillows to line the circle would cost,, lol
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2009, 05:37:19 PM »
Alan

I'm sorry, but the patented "Powell" maneuver includes a broken wing from to hard a hit on the corner followed by a sharp bounce off the ground and with engine still running in an extremely out of balance manner due to one blade of a three bladed prop shearing off, the entire airplane shatters and explodes in mid air. You simply skidded on the pavement. Not even close to the original.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 07:10:21 PM »
Hey, I didn't say the judges gave me a 9.9 like you always get.  Mine was more line a 4.7.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 07:18:49 PM »
Alan:  I read and enjoyed your article on the O'Toole Tucker.  That's still my favorite and after seeing Don McClave's fly, it might be the best IMO.  I thought that they could be ordered through PAMPA but unless I missed them, they are not listed on the products page.  Is that an oversite or are they just not available? Thanks in advance.  8) 
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 05:59:19 AM »
Pete,
I've noticed that quite a few plans are missing from PAMPA's plan listing.  Might want to contact one of the Execs. and find out.  Neither the Tucker 4 or the O'Toole Tucker versions are on the listing.  In fact none from about the last two and half years are there.
Alan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here