News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:43:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rear Exhaust on Shark 45  (Read 876 times)

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Rear Exhaust on Shark 45
« on: October 29, 2007, 06:49:28 PM »
Is the Shark 45 (RSM kit version) easily (I like easy) modified to accept a rear exhaust muffled engine or would the nose landing gear strut and mount get in the way?  Thanks in advance.
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Online James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Rear Exhaust on Shark 45
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 07:36:17 PM »
Try getting a hold of Gordon Delaney (I think) for some pics of his All American Eagle, he had an interesting way of mounting the nose gear in the cowl so it didn't interfere with the rear muffler, if I ever build another Shark it will be with a PA 61 with nose gear mounted this way. H^^

James
AMA 491167

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 10:57:01 PM »
Find a pic of the front view of an A-10 Warthog and see if it gives you any ideas! I had such a pic, but deleted it in a funky moment. They're offset to give room for the Gatling gun. I'd certainly have it inboard of center on a Shark.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 11:05:59 PM »
Well, both ideas have merit and I'm sure that I could come up with something however, I'm going to conclude that this design is more suitable for a side exhaust set-up, ie: ST G-51 - not a problem.  THANKS! 
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 10:21:41 AM »
HI Pete,

Vic Macaluso used Trike gears on both his Crusader II and Tom Cat II.  Both piped ships ands published in FM.  He just bent a nose gear that went around the pipe.

Bob *Mr. '69 NATS* Lampione used a nose gear similar to the Hunt method of attaching wing gear on his last Sabre so that the tank would slide in and out with a "crutch" mount method.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 10:25:42 AM »
If you want to have the nosewheel centered, your strut must come down from one side or the other.

This leaves plenty of room for a pipe header and is the way I plan to build my Shark 45. The Shark is currently scheduled to be completed by 2015.  n~ n~

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here