News:

• April 28, 2024, 11:01:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Problems with the classics  (Read 731 times)

Online Ty Marcucci

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Problems with the classics
« on: December 23, 2007, 04:38:40 PM »
Well, not actually problems, but more like challenges.  Most of the Classics plans do not show mufflers, uniflow tanks, sliding lead outs or weight boxes. Now start adding these and all kinds of problems or challenges pop up. 

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:15:24 PM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Problems with the classics
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 08:17:12 AM »
Ty,

Yea, it does get interesting trying to work around stuff. I've considered for years building a Bernie Ash Supersonic Stunter. Figuring the bell crank and leadouts would be an interesting challenge.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 09:06:33 AM »
Ty, you are correct in that the old designs present many challenges especially when it comes to incorporating some modern concepts.

Although my Barracuda isn't a Sheeks design I had to work out several problems during construction. For example, the sleek narrow nose had to be widened by 1/16" or I wouldn't have had enough room hollow the cowl to clear the cylinder fins and exhaust flange of my Rojett .40. The nose also had to be lengthened by 1/2" because of my engine choice. Otherwise, there wouldn't have been enough room between the engine and nose gear former to install a 4 1/2 oz tank. I'll have to custom build the tank as well.

The original Cuda had very thin wing tips (3/32" core sheeted top & bottom with 1/16" balsa) and did not have a leadout slider. It was a challenge to add that feature. I think mine worked out very neatly, at least I'm pleased with it.
Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 09:22:56 PM »
I always liked the fact that Windy always drew his cowls so that the break line went through the middle of the muffler on the diagonal.  Remove the cowl without having to remove the muffler!

Otherwise, carefully drill two holes in line with the muffler bolts like you say........
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here