News:

• May 03, 2024, 12:12:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Novi Retired  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Novi Retired
« on: May 28, 2007, 12:32:06 PM »
Well, I flew the Novi in it's second contest and it was a victim of wake turbulence. Pancaked in and pretty much destroyed the outboard wing. Sigh...

Repairable, but I suspect it will be a long time till it sees a circle again.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Novi Retired
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 01:10:07 PM »
And a Shame it was Randy, that plane was looking sweet in the air. The amazing thing to me anyway was that it kept on flying and nothing fell off. I was talking to Pat at the instant, and I heard the thwack! turned around and it was still in the air, took a couple laps to see the wheel pant/gear turned. man we were holding our breath when the engine quit, didnt know what was goiong to happen when it touched down with that wheel that way. At least your PA plane is flying great now! Sure had an awesome experience this weekend overall,, Thanks to you and Pat (and others,, John Miller ya know who ya are!)
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 02:20:14 PM »
So sad to hear that Randy!  I like the NOVI I most of all of the NOVI series.

Maybe you will take a look at it in a few qweeks with a better outlook........

Then, again, there are soooo many planes left to build!  Get to work on that Scotsman. ;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 04:26:18 PM »
Randy, one word,, Playboy!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 10:03:18 PM »
I got it apart tonight and took a look. It's toast. The ribs out about half way to the wing tip are shattered. Both the leading edge and trailing edge are cracked with a lengthwise crack in the LE. There's an aft crack in the fuselage and the inboard wing had more damage to the covering, though the structure looks OK.

It will hang on the wall for awhile and I'll think about it.

I think I'm done with classic planes for awhile. I've built 3 since I decided to start flying classic a few years ago. Out of the 3, only one hasn't been wacked. The Shoestring is long gone, the Novi has been wacked and the Cobra is awaiting a control system replacement and refinishing.

Sigh...  Think I'll stick to PA planes for now.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 11:32:17 PM »
Randy,

Sorry about your "Novi"

Don't give up on the Classics.. You gotta build a Sheeks airplane, remember?

There's always a "JD Falcon". (But not the M.A.N version.) They fly as well as any airplane. Sounds like I am prejudice, but it is fact.
AMA 7544

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 01:53:38 PM »
Tom,

I'm not giving up on them. Just putting them aside for a bit. I finally have a PA plane that flies really well and I'll probably concentrate on that for a bit.

I have plans to build a Colussus and probably a Jack Sheeks plane of some sort. Probably a Scottsman or Knight. But that's for later.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 02:37:14 PM »
Well, I flew the Novi in it's second contest and it was a victim of wake turbulence. Pancaked in and pretty much destroyed the outboard wing. Sigh...

Repairable, but I suspect it will be a long time till it sees a circle again.
My deepest condolences...here is a photo just for the memories~~~! Truly a beautiful model.
Keep goin' round-round-round Randy! SH^
Don Shultz

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 07:03:20 PM »
Randy,

Sorry to hear about the wake turbulence incident.  I'm familiar with such goings on.  I stuck a very good flying
Magnum into the ground up to the leading edge of the wing when I got some turbulence in the fifth corner of
outside squares.  The Colossus is a very good I Beamer.  If I ever get to build an I Beamer, for starters, I'm
going to do Warden's Minado.  Probably the best looking I Beamer ever, and a direct descendant of the Playboy.

Jim Pollock   BW@

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 08:31:34 PM »
Randy
MANNN that's a tough way to lose a bird (as if there is a good way).  The way a Novi builds up that sounds like a tough repair too.  Still set it aside for a mont or so before you take it on - or scrap & salvage it.  :(

Still there is th Scottsman, Torino, or....?  :)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 08:46:53 PM »
 Dennis,   this was a BBBBAAAADDDD week for NOVIs---  Randy's I and my IV.  Mine is TOTALED!  Full power into asphalt at about a 80 degree angle.   The stab and elevators are intact.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 10:22:31 PM »
I stripped the covering off the bottom to inspect. I'll shoot a picture when I get a chance.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 10:36:59 PM »
BigIron:

Remember how Andy Granetelli's "novi's" used to grenade Memorial Day weekend at the Indy 500.  Maybe you and Randy should have stayed away from that week!  :'(

...and I saw that you are un-retiring your III?  I think that one was my favorite, followed closely by the Novi 4 which was of course, a completely different design genre.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
BigIron:

Remember how Andy Granetelli's "novi's" used to grenade Memorial Day weekend at the Indy 500.  Maybe you and Randy should have stayed away from that week!  :'(

...and I saw that you are un-retiring your III?  I think that one was my favorite, followed closely by the Novi 4 which was of course, a completely different design genre.

Just a "NOVI III MOMENT!" :-\
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 09:36:06 AM »
Another "NOVI MOMENT"
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 09:53:54 AM »
RANDY!
Just curious....is that beautiful DANGEROUS model of yours....still alive?
I have always thought that work of art was one really lean& mean beautiful FLYIN' MACHINE!
If it is ALIVE...that appears to be one serious lean no non-sense of a competition stunt machine?
When you feel betta...it would be great to see your posts about that beautiful mint Novi progress building report and pictures again...just for kinda-va tribute?  :'(
I tried to find it on this website..but couldn't locate it?
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 10:22:18 PM »
Shultzie,

That plane was a victim of obesity. It has Werwage's airfoil and just can't carry much weight. The layout is a killer if the plane is kept obsenely light, but that one was over the limit coming in at about 64oz. So it hangs on the wall awaiting disposition. I may canabalize it for the new plane (that is the same plane but redesigned with a different airfoil). or just let it hang there. Haven't decided yet.

So, now I have two classic planes awaiting work and two PA planes that will probably never see the light of day again. At least I have one terrific flying PA plane, one that will be sent to an intermediate flier I know as a practice ship and one of Pat Johnston's P-40s (this one the big, 60 sized job) that is my backup in case of disaster. Hopefully the new PA plane will be done by fall and I can start of something else. I have a plan draw for a new elliptical plane and some classic planes to fix.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 03:32:57 PM »
Wow! Randy....I wonder if Helium could be pumped into that beautiful wing panel or helium bags attached to the body?
That is one beautiful stunter even though you say it is just "Wall Art" now? H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 01:41:31 PM »
Shultzie,

That's OK. I'm building a new one that is considerably light with a better (for my purposes) wing. I plan to more of less clone the paint scheme. I have some new ideas for it, but it will largely be the same.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 02:10:31 PM »
Quote from: Randy Powell link=to H^^ic=5335.msg43821#msg43821 date=1180986091
Shultzie,

That's OK. I'm building a new one that is considerably light with a better (for my purposes) wing. I plan to more of less clone the paint scheme. I have some new ideas for it, but it will largely be the same.
Way to go...Randy "more or less clone the paint scheme?" NEVER! Your creative minds eyeball has always come through with some really tasty and creative colors and designs.
May the creative juicy juices flow....enhanced by maybe even a bottle of "RAZZ~!" n~
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 02:29:24 PM »
Shultzie,

That plane was a victim of obesity. It has Werwage's airfoil and just can't carry much weight. The layout is a killer if the plane is kept obsenely light, but that one was over the limit coming in at about 64oz. So it hangs on the wall awaiting disposition. I may canabalize it for the new plane (that is the same plane but redesigned with a different airfoil). or just let it hang there. Haven't decided yet.

So, now I have two classic planes awaiting work and two PA planes that will probably never see the light of day again. At least I have one terrific flying PA plane, one that will be sent to an intermediate flier I know as a practice ship and one of Pat Johnston's P-40s (this one the big, 60 sized job) that is my backup in case of disaster. Hopefully the new PA plane will be done by fall and I can start of something else. I have a plan draw for a new elliptical plane and some classic planes to fix.

Hi Randy,

I know I will get tar'd 'n' feather'd by some for saying this, but since you mention the "Werwage" airfoil (USA-1).........

I have yet to see that set up be real good over the mid-high 50 oz. range.  The airfoil is thin and was designed to be pulled by a .40 (however juiced up it was!).  As we discussed when you were starting on it, that set of numbers must be light.  Most of Billy's early designs that HE flew well, were thin airfoils.  He couldn't get the '62 Ares (fatter airfoil, larger than the '59) "powered" to suit himself until he used the Aero Tiger 36!  Hmmm.... 40 years later?? 

My own USA-1 was 54 oz. RTF with a T&L ST G51.  It could have easily flown on a good ST 46 like Billy's.  Even though we can power the plane better now, the airfoil hasn't changed.  His Junar (big ones) and early Geo XLs were USA-1 wings and he said himself that they probably wouldn't fly well at/over 60 oz.

Just going to the basement for the flame retardant suit......... ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 03:46:49 PM »
BILL....
"YA DON'T NEED TO GO TO THE BASEMENT FOR A FIRE-"RETARDED" SUIT!"

Many studies were conducted by our Flutter model design engineers and model shop...on low speed airfoils and one I especially remember was a NASA co-sponsored (about the point in time...shortly after that successful human-pedal powered ultra-light.)

We conducted that  test at the UofW. with not only using smoke but also attaching  P.drag & neon tuffs to various airfoil locations and after reviewing all those  video movies some interesting non-conclusions were found that really left many of us saying "HUHHH????

I had quite a few conversations about my control line stunt model, and their airfoils etc...and how so many of the latest  new control stunt model designs (new at that time n' space) was going to fatter and blunter airfoil leading edges with apparent success.

But the wierd test data and  input that we kept getting was quite surprising to me, the engineering staff and my other stunt model flyin buds...and left us more confused than enlightened???? HB~> HB~>

That combined with the low wing loadings and the relative SLOW MODEL SPEEDS THAT OUR MODELS FLY...the  lift and drag numbers were pretty much the same, regardless how blunt, sharp or flat the leading edges or airfoil thickness. So with in reason...(I AM CERTAINLY NOT AERODYNAMICAL' WIZZZZZKID' like our very finest and most successful stunt model flyers have shown us.
With that in mind...I am sure to join you model-meistro Little, and go find my own FIRE-RETARDO-STUNT SUIT...AND JOIN YOU IN YELLING!!!!

FLAMES.....FLAMES....FLAMES.....FIRE...N....SMOKE!!!! AND SIMPLY JUST TRY TO ALWAYS BUILD AS LIGHT AS POSSIBLE.  AND THE REST WILL FOLLOW!!!~ DV^^ DV^^ (PE**) **)

Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2007, 04:39:52 PM »
Bill,

You're right. My USA-1, powered by a Magnum 53 was a touch over 52oz and flew quite well. I had hoped that jacking up the wing area to something near 770 square inches would allow the plane above (along with a big, pipe engine) to carry a bit of extra weight. As it turned out, even with the extra squares and power, 64oz was just too much. Had I gone with a thicker airfoil, I could probably carried the additional ounces, but as it was, it just wallowed.

So, the new one is based on the Slider aerodynamics and I have high hopes that it will be as good a plane as it's predecessor. We'll see.

As for the Novi, some additional inspection and there is probably nothing for it but to strip it down, rebuild the outboard wing and refinish it. To bad, too. It was a pretty good flying plane.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here