News:

• May 01, 2024, 12:50:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Novi in partial paint  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Novi in partial paint
« on: February 28, 2007, 09:54:40 PM »
So, here it is in partial paint. Still needs the other colors and some inking, but you get the drift. The paint really didn't come off very well. The main color is really pearlized, but looks dull since the color comes off sort of matte like until the clear is shot on. The trim colors so far are pearl forest green and pearl black. Still to come are a metallic silver and just a dab of a sort of pearl yellow.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Novi in partial paint
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 10:00:37 PM »
Randy,
I dig it! from what I can tell the green has nice depth. However, I can totally understand that after standing at the end of a roll of tape for that long its hard to get a perspective. I am looking forward to seeing it in person with clear. overall I think its got class, not flash,, crisp clean and classy,, I like it.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 10:03:08 PM »
Mark,

I gotta tell you, the taping on the checkerboard, well, enjoy it. I may never do it again. Sheesh! The main color looks kinda funny in the picture. It has a LOT of pearl in it (a mixture of candy green and dry pearl green in clear over white base). I think the lights in the shop tended to make it look uneven due to the pearl reflection. In person, it looks pretty good...for green.

The bottom is even more complicated. But I agree, it is subtle. That's why I'm dithering on the last color. I think the bright silver metallic will brighten it up a bit, but I don't want to spill over into gaudy. We'll see.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 10:59:17 PM »
I think were it me, I would be tempted to use some rich burgandy/red as a fineline trim color somewhere, I know personally that the burgandy can really set off a green plane, but far be it from me to offer suggestions, you have a touch and style your own that I enjoy as is. keep on keeping on, man I really gotta get sanding on my P-40 Q  its so close to painting, but after 4 tens at the computer, then three days sanding on the thunderbird,, well somehow its pretty hard to get motivated to sand on teh Q ship, gotta make it happen soon though , first contest in April,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 06:48:36 AM »
Looks great, Randy!  Thanks for the picture.  You know it is about impossible to photograph pearls and have them look right.  I use a lot of pearls but not on the planes.  Been a while since my inline Junar!

You convinced me, I will never attempt the curving checkboards!  But you pulled it off nicely.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 09:01:33 AM »
Hi Bill,

It's incomplete right now. Once I get the inklines on to outline the missing parts, it should look OK. Supposely to look like it's peeling off. May even pull it off. There's a lot of work yet.

Mark,

Burgendy? Hmmm... Have to consider that. I've been pulling cans of paint off the shelf and popping the lids and holding them up to the base color. Other than a touch of silver, I haven't found anything that turns me on yet. We'll see.

I plan to put just a touch of pearl in the clearcoat too, but may back off of that depending on the overall look when the paint is all on.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline dave shirley jr

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 10:12:35 AM »
Hi randy
it looks nice. those pearls and especially basecoat colors are hard to tell what it looks like till it gets cleared.
try shooting a lite coat of clear when you think you are done. and you can see what it will really look like.
by the way is it just my spidey sense or is that a super hero pilot you've got there
Dave Jr.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 10:24:52 AM »
Hi Dave,

The only remaining piece of the USA-1. The Pilot. Hey, he should have good reflexes anyway.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 10:27:27 AM »
Hi Bill,

It's incomplete right now. Once I get the inklines on to outline the missing parts, it should look OK. Supposely to look like it's peeling off. May even pull it off. There's a lot of work yet.

Mark,

Burgendy? Hmmm... Have to consider that. I've been pulling cans of paint off the shelf and popping the lids and holding them up to the base color. Other than a touch of silver, I haven't found anything that turns me on yet. We'll see.

I plan to put just a touch of pearl in the clearcoat too, but may back off of that depending on the overall look when the paint is all on.

Hi Randy,

Wooley used dark green, burgandy, and gold for trim.  They look good together!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here