News:

• May 10, 2024, 05:45:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Shoe  (Read 6493 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
New Shoe
« on: March 25, 2008, 10:08:36 PM »
OK, here are a couple of pictures of my less than sterling effort at a canopy and cockpit. One pic has one flap on and the cheek cowls are just taped on and not shaped yet. The cowl is tack glued on and the shaping is just started. The pilot has style, though.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: New Shoe
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 10:47:01 PM »
its the return of the TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES,, WO HOO,,,,,  hm cant remember is it Donatello?  lookin pretty cool there Randy, Portland is only  like 4 weeks away my friend,, I know I gotta get the hustle on my Ornamental,,,,, y1
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 09:10:12 AM »
I'll have you know that the pilot is the one and only Raphael! Took a lot of convincing to get him to go along with the deal. Particularly when he his sitting in slime (though he seems to like it OK). He has the signature, red ninja mask.

Portland will have to do without the Shoe. I suspect it will not be done by then. It will be done for the Regionals. The new PA plane probably won't be done until McMinneville or later. Sigh...

Some much to do. But hey, at least the roof on the shop isn't leaking anymore (for the time being, anyway). And based on the weather, I'd know.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 09:54:24 AM »
Boy Randy, you sure do move fast on these planes. It looks awesome though. I'd like to come up to the Regionals just to see it. Keep posting the pics please.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 10:31:50 AM »
Thanks, Clint. There's a lot to do yet. Should be done by the Regionals. I hope to finish it up and be ready to start the finish this weekend. Could be done for the Jim Walker contest the end of April, but unlikely.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 10:36:05 AM »
GADS! RANDY....WOW! RANDY, AWESOME!!U ARE SUCH A TEASE WITH THESE PHOTOS!  
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 10:58:51 AM »
Hi Randy

I love the workmanship shown!  With the engine you have chosen, it should be miles ahead of the old one. y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 05:06:42 PM »
Heck, Bill, just a consistent engine run will put it miles ahead of the last one.

The previous plane really flew quite well the few times I got a decent engine run out of it. That's why I built another. Though I suppose this one won't really compare. The last one was built exactly according to the Flying Models plans. It was a strange airfoil, but I didn't know any better at the time. This one uses a Skylark root and tip rib for the wing (as per Bob Hunt) and is closer to the original plane. The canopy is a bit of artistic license. The shape, height and such are the same as the original (the canopy profile remains stock). I just pushed the back rest aft to expose more canopy in order for it to look like the real plane that the paint scheme will model. I have to admit I think it looks cooler, but the motivation was to set it up so that it resembled the real plane (the Shoestring "Spud Runner"). I still have to solve the slime on the cockpit floor issue, but I keep hoping that the glue will completely dry (it's supposed to dry clear) and so, the problem solves itself. Guess we'll see. If I get down to the wire and need to start the finish and it's still a slimey looking white and clear color, I guess I'll have to do something with it.

More block shaping tonight along with finishing the other flap---

Tip - I was building the flaps (oddly, it only took two tries to get two flaps that I was willing to use). This is the first time that I built the hinge pockets before actually building the flaps. After a try at built up flaps ... again (that ended up looking like a pretzel - I don't know why I keep trying to use built up flaps when the original had 1/4" sheet flaps), I actually cut the flaps out of 5/16" sheet. Once the plan view shape was cut out, but no shaping done, I used a trick hinge pocket maker I got from Derek Moran that includes a slick stand he made. I cut the hinge pockets in with the cutter, then cut a recess for the hinge barrel (carefully) then proceeded to shape the flap. I discovered a bit back that it's easier to use thicker material than called for on the plan, then just plane the flap down to the required 1/4" thickness. It allows a bit of wiggle room when you are using a plane to cut in the taper and take the surface down. Anyway, it's much easier to put the hinge pockets and barrel recess in before messing with shaping the things. They came out much straighter and the hinge pockets are actually aligned resonably.

Other's have probably done it this way forever, but it was a new approach to me and it worked well. I'll do it this way in the future. For frame flaps (open bays with ribs), I've always built the hinge pockets into the leading edge of the flap before framing up the actual flaps, just like I do the wing, but I guess it never occured to me to do the same with the flaps. Hmmm....
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 06:52:12 PM »
Great looking model and may the "GODS OF PAINT" be with you...and yers' LL~
Attached the old photos that I took at the nats.
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 10:32:59 PM »
Bill had more patience than I do. Man, look at all those little silver dots. Yikes!

Got the canopy finish sanded (more or less 0 probably keep playing with it) tonight, got the cowl mostly rough shaped and the outboard flap done. I also decided that the cheek cowls needed a bit more wood on the inside so I cut some triangle stock to reinforce the corners. May be able to carve them back out if the shaping doesn't need it, but better to have it and not need it....

This is the stage where it's easy to gain weight, so I'm trying to be careful with the details.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 12:43:09 PM »
I like the "Red Rippers" Fighting 11 (VF11) USS Intrepid WW2, Navy squadron insiginia on the tail. H^^

Very interesting web site at:
www.topedge.com/panels/aircraft/sites/vf11/index.html
Don Shultz

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »
Randy did you tint the canopy your self ? if so how would one go about doing so?

-Steve
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 03:19:26 PM »
OK, here are a couple of pictures of my less than sterling effort at a canopy and cockpit. One pic has one flap on and the cheek cowls are just taped on and not shaped yet. The cowl is tack glued on and the shaping is just started. The pilot has style, though.

I would hate to think how many planes you could build if you were retired. Looks nice Randy and how many planes does that make in your fleet. I gotta say you must be makin a lot more money than me or so it seems. Do you store these in a room or the garage.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 03:28:12 PM »
Steve,

Yea, dyed with RIT and a bit of salt. It's a Sig canopy so it's not PET-G. Takes dye fine.

Leo,

Not as many as you would think. A lot that need repair, that's certain. They are stored in a rack in the gables of the shop.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 11:05:52 PM by Randy Powell »
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
Leo, some have found homes in other peoples abodes as well, through Randys good heart I have a couple spare planes now in my fleet!
The beautifull Freelancer,, one of the Heretic's, and Pats full fuse P-40 with my Saito 56 in it
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 07:16:38 PM »
 Randy,

The piece count on your models always blows me away. Do you have a group of kidnapped elves or something that work day and night making parts? Beautiful stuff, but I just dont see how you can cut, sand and fit all those pieces and yet build as quickly as you do-amazing! y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 10:24:33 PM »
>>but I just dont see how you can cut, sand and fit all those pieces <<

I have a system. It's not very hard but somewhat tedious. I built the wing for the Shoe in 3 evenings about (while kibitzing about working on other stuff). It looks complicated, but it's really not once you get the drill down. Makes for a light, straight wing, though.

Mark,

I have a new elliptical job on the board, but I have to clear out some other projects first. I really want to get the current PA plane done, too.

So many planes, so little time.    ;D

By the way, got the cheek cowls done and glued on tonight along with the flap fairings and the final shaping for the cowl. Got the engine cleaned up (a loose muffler at VSC left a mess on the muffler and head). The engine is bolted in and I just have to hollow the cowl and make the fittings for it along with building a tank and venting it then it's ready to start the finish.

The kid is off to college on Sunday. We are taking him down for check in at housing so time this weekend will be limited. But I should be ready to do final sanding and start the finish sometime this weekend.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 11:08:17 AM by Randy Powell »
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 10:20:03 AM »
It's inconceivable to me how you could possibly be ready to start the finish already. Seems like you only started the model about 10 days ago. Man, you're speedy!

PICS, PICS!
-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 11:09:40 AM »
Clint,

I'll post a couple of pictures after I get the cowl finished up and put the plane together to test fits and such. If everthing works out, I should be able to start finishing it as soon as the weather clears a bit.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 01:43:04 PM »
The Shoe is on hold for a bit. I'm going to be out of town for a week or so.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 08:32:18 PM »
Well, I'm back at it. Should have it ready for finish tomorrow. I hope.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008, 08:05:25 PM »
OK, here's a couple of pics. It's done, more or less. I just built the tank and put it together and weighed it. 35oz ready to fly, so I'm in there as far as weight. Not a feather, but well within the planned weight.

Just need to put the vents for the tank in and a bit of cleanup and it's ready to finish. And I know that one wheel pant is lower than the other. Already fixed. Can't believe I missed it the first time. The wheel pants and cowl have been glassed and are setting up. Lot of sanding to do, that's certain.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008, 08:31:21 PM »
Sorry Ty, the paint scheme is all picked out. Hope to start finishing it in the next few days. I have to build a tank for my PA plane first, then it's off to the races.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 09:10:32 AM »
"off to the races" shoestring,, hmm yeah I get it, ,even if you didnt mean it, lol
lookin nice Randy, cant wait to see this one too! so are you painting this and the PA plane at the same time then?>
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 09:53:50 AM »
WOW!  H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2008, 11:05:02 PM »
Ty,

I didn't see it. Hmmm...   I have some .008 6x12 tin stock that I'm using. Wish I could get more, but haven't been able to find a source. I got what I have online, but I can't for the life of me find it again. Sigh...
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 09:25:01 PM »
Check out ........K & S Metals

STOCK NO. 254,  .008 Sheet Metal, Tin 
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 10:47:55 PM »
Thanks, Greg. I'll look.

The Shoe had to take a break. I built a new tank for my PA plane tonight. Unforturnately, I can't measure and the front of it is maybe a 64th inch too wide. So I will either have to make another, or modify it to fit. But it should be big enough. It's 2.5" x 1.25" x 4.65" . Should finally be big enough anyway.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2008, 11:08:11 AM »
A judicious application of a 16 oz., ball peen hammer will easily take care of 1/64th" in width!   y1   :##
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2008, 11:41:49 AM »
Bill,

Yea, I messed with it some more and it fits. It's a tight fit and I'm afraid it will cause the former to pull away. So I'll work on it some more tonight. I didn't account for the slight taper toward the nose. It fits fine at the rear with about a 1/16" clearance, but it's a snug fit at the front. So some sanding to the compartment and a little judicious grinding and tapping to the tank should fix it. Now, I just have to come up with a hold down for the front. Won't take much, that's certain.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2008, 11:42:25 AM »
so thats like what about 8 oz Randy? converting to a twin maybe lol
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2008, 12:00:24 PM »
I was thinking of buying Spud Runner from Dave Morss once, but I think the pure hideousness of the paint scheme kept me from it. I couldn't even think straight enough to remember I could repaint it...
...Bill Simons had it right, and that is how I would have painted the airplane. Just think, a full sized airplane painted like a model!
Chris...

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2008, 03:26:15 PM »
Mark,

Well, I had a 6.5oz tank and ran out of fuel in the overheads...

Chris,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the red and yellow paint scheme. I thought the chartreuse and red No.16 was absolutely hideous. Possibly the ugliest paint scheme in the history of aircraft. To each, his own, I guess.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2008, 06:50:01 PM »

Chris,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the red and yellow paint scheme. I thought the chartreuse and red No.16 was absolutely hideous. Possibly the ugliest paint scheme in the history of aircraft. To each, his own, I guess.

So true, so true. You might check the new DHL scheme for most hideous!
I like the profile of the cowling and canopy on this one a lot, BTW.
Chris...

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2008, 12:11:56 AM »
Chris,

Yea, the profile is the same, I just moved the rear of the canopy line back to more closely resemble the real plane.

But I think I'll leave the potatoes off the rudder
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 11:04:45 PM by Randy Powell »
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2008, 11:36:54 AM »
Potatos and aircraft. It reminds me of a true story about a 180 pilot in Alaska being shot down by a potato. Ask me about it when we're havung breakfast during the Regionals. It's a riot. LL~ LL~ H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2008, 12:51:37 PM »
John, speaking of, are we gonna keep our breakfast spot a secret this year?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2008, 11:09:58 PM »
Mark,

I'm sure we'll fine another one if Nancy's gets too crowded.  :)

BTW, I flew the PA plane today. The tank, as it turns out, is about 7 1/8 oz. And it needed it all. I'm getting about 8 laps after the clover. Man, I'd better not get a rich run.

The Shoe got the first coat of clear on the airframe tonight after grinding off the wheel pants (fiberglassed) and finish sanding the airframe. Fun stuff.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2008, 12:11:54 PM »
Well, I was not going to let the "cat out of the bag", but now that Randy already did it, It might not be so bad to fill the place up with modelors at breakfast. y1

Randy, are you sure you're not leaking fuel into the fuse? That's a lot of fuel to burn..... S?P

The planes lookin' good.

We are trying to finish up the Pathfinders soon, so we can get them trimmed out for the Regionals. Mine seems to be getting heavier than I wanted at this point. I might have to do a real simple finish on it to avoid too much paint weight gain.

Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2008, 02:31:02 PM »
John, as long as it doesnt keep us from getting breakfast, in fact, let em all come, ,30 minutes after us so we can practice while they are eating!
as for the pathfinder, do like Pat must,, pump the wing full of helium, or maybe its just the lighter Boise air?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2008, 03:10:12 PM »
John,

Nope, no hole in the tank, but man that engine can suck fuel. 7 1/8oz for a 46? Yikes!  I may go back to the .40 just on fuel economy.

AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2008, 03:18:49 PM »
I really like this one! great job Randy
AMA 12366

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2008, 07:38:01 AM »
John,

Nope, no hole in the tank, but man that engine can suck fuel. 7 1/8oz for a 46? Yikes!  I may go back to the .40 just on fuel economy.

Hi Randy,

What engine are you using that uses 7+ oz. for the pattern??   A 1.20??

???  ???
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2008, 03:10:01 PM »
Robert,

Thanks. I like it too. Should be a good flier.

Bill,

It's a Tom Lay prepared OS46VF. It has a .275 venturi. Not sure what's going on, but the thing produces a ton of power. It's spinning a 12.5 x 4.25 three blade prop without a problem and has really good power in the overheads and above 45 degrees. I'm not complaining about it.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2008, 07:32:41 PM »
Robert,

Thanks. I like it too. Should be a good flier.

Bill,

It's a Tom Lay prepared OS46VF. It has a .275 venturi. Not sure what's going on, but the thing produces a ton of power. It's spinning a 12.5 x 4.25 three blade prop without a problem and has really good power in the overheads and above 45 degrees. I'm not complaining about it.

WOW!  Unknown to me, but as long as it works! y1
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2008, 09:56:22 PM »
Bill,

Yea, I figure if it sucking that much fuel, it must be doing something with it.   ;D

Started covering the Shoestring tonight. Hopefully I can have that part done in a couple of days and get to clear and filler coat by the weekend. While it won't be done for the first contest, it should make the Northwest Regionals.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2008, 11:17:41 AM »
OK, we are making progress. The thing is covered and has 3 coats of unthinned clear on it. Just need to sand today and shoot it with primer (that I still need to mix up). Hopefully that will be done today. Then more sanding and I should be ready for color by the middle of the week. Hopefully.  I'll post some pictures after it's sanded and before the primer just for giggles.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2008, 11:35:21 AM »
  I'll post some pictures after it's sanded and before the primer just for giggles.

*tapping foot, waiting patiently*

Well it's about time for more pics. Sometimes I wish you live just down the street so I could pop in and see it myself. H^^

-Clint-

AMA 559593

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2008, 07:00:18 PM »
Clint,

Yea, me too. Well, I got it sanded but turns out another coat of clear was in order. Sigh. Let it dry and then the fillets. Whoops. Almost forgot those. THEN the primer. So I'll probably be sanding primer next weekend. Oh joy!

I'll post some pics later in the week after I get the fillets on.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2008, 03:26:52 PM »
Well, something very dangerious has happened. The plane is sitting in primer, about ready to sand and I've been thinking about paint schemes. I suppose I'm just a glutton for punishment, but I've had some thoughts about the scheme for this plane and started sketching some ideas to, uh, modify my original plan (beyond all recognition). Uh oh, Randy is going to get crazy again. Maybe something with checkerboard. Streatched and twisted. And red, yellow and white. And swoopy! Yea, that's the ticket.

May the gods of painting forgive me.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here