News:

• May 13, 2024, 05:37:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New event (thought experiment)  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Brett Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
New event (thought experiment)
« on: April 23, 2010, 12:03:21 PM »
Call it Nostalgia 70. The rules are that you can design, build, fly, any airplane you want, as long as you use a STOCK engine that was available before 1970, and a wooden propellor (of any design/manufacture).

Thoughts?

Brett

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: New event (thought experiment)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 01:33:51 PM »
Call it Nostalgia 70. The rules are that you can design, build, fly, any airplane you want, as long as you use a STOCK engine that was available before 1970, and a wooden propellor (of any design/manufacture).

Thoughts?

Brett

Hi Brett,

Hmmmmmm............ a rules change to the Classic event it sounds like.  ;)  With Nostalgia30 now in the books, the Classic planes can be flown there with any engine and for *Classic* you would have to use a period engine.  With the bazillion Fox .35s out there, and more being made, then the old argument for not finding (or them costing too much) a period engine is out the window.  And as for the cost, there are LOTS of period stunt engines available, in great running condition, for less than most of the new engines cost.

I would like the idea, but I am not sure what it would do the existing Classic Event.  I'm a but tentative since many newer guys do not WANT to run the old engines.  ???

With a new design (the sky's the limit on the plane) how many would really want to dig out an old McCoy 40, OS 35S, Fox 35, etc.. ?   n~

Personally, I would not be opposed to running the period engines.  I think OTS and Classic, both, would be a touch more interesting if *old* engines were required. ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 01:56:13 PM »
I'm not in favor of any new events. There are already enough, and I don't think we need to water down the event any further.
Paul W

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 09:52:28 PM »
I'm not in favor of any new events. There are already enough, and I don't think we need to water down the event any further.
Paul W

It's just a thought experiment - what would happen, and how would such a thing develop?

Brett

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 10:54:24 PM »
Interesting thought starter.

Pre-1970 engines would include Tigre Saturn 51's, 56's, & 60's, Enya 60 mk 2, Gold Head OS 60's, Webra Blackhead 60's, I think even the first HP61 schnuerle.  With that selection the resulting desgins would be CONTEMPORARY!  (no outrunners from the era tho :o)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 06:40:43 AM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 08:17:01 PM »
The more I look at the proliferation of events, the more I think I'll just fly PA.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 08:49:56 PM »
If the results of VSC 21 are any indication, the only way the old engines will ever be used en mass in the classic event is to have a separate class. According to July/August 2009 stunt news: 68 entries, 8 engines from the era (one being a Tee-Dee .049), and only one Fox 35. Highest placing was a ST-60 in a very credible 9th place.  Do we need another event?...probably not. If it were offered though, I'd enter.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 09:03:13 PM »
 I guess Brett is just bored and has sunk to the level of a few nuts on here.

Why do you think I need to "sink" - I am as low as they come.

But I did have a kernel of a point - that flying "Classic" with modern engines is a wholly different event than it was "in the day". If you want to actually recreate competition as it was in 1965, you would do far better to control the engines and prop, and let people fly anything they want as far as the airplane goes.

Brett

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 10:04:14 PM »
   It's just a thought experiment - what would happen, and how would such a thing develop?

Brett

Brett,
To put the stock engine part of the thought experiment back to you, what do you think would happen if a stock engine rule were added to a stunt event?

Thanks,
Kim
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 01:01:55 PM »

Thoughts?

Brett

Hi Brett

We have Nostalgia 30 now, I guess you could very easy use a twist on the contest and say that only "stock"period engines can be used...one BIG problem I see is that you may have FOX 35s with plasma p\s HZ cranks and the like..unlike what some believe that is a whopping increase in performace, you would also maybe have ST 40 and 46s with plasma or AAC p\s. Chromed McCoys with special insides , AAC  HP-40s ....etc  I have a OS 35S with all special parts Ti ni plated piston and sleeve special crank, I even made one (35S) for friend he still has that is a .47   (Yes he tells evryone it is not a 35)
It is unfortunate but I do believe this may happen, I know of several instances of people using 46s that said  40 on the case back when
I didn't want to mention this but you may wind up having to have tech inspection or tech police...props are much easier to identify :-)
Randy
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:13:10 PM by RandySmith »

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 06:38:05 PM »
Just to keep everything honest, competitive gentlemen who know the value of immense power would just go about putting Veco .45's into T-Birds old versions of .61's into Shark .45's and such.  You really don't need to cheat on the engines just use our modern knowledge that power and especially immense power rules!

Heh!  Do you suppose that never occurred to anyone in 1965? I think you would pretty quickly find out why that is not a good idea! What we gained with current engines is not so much power control over the power.

It was just a silly thought experiment, but after giving it a lot of thought I would start with  designs very much like were flown in the era, and only add robust adjustable controls and a TVC of about .45. It would be about like what people were running in the mid-80s.

Brett

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 06:12:13 PM »
The Society of Ancient Modelers have an event called "Ohlsson Side Port", limited to sideport O&R engines (separate events for the 23 and 60).  Now, something like that would REALLY put everyone at an equal disadvantage, if that is the purpose of thre "New Event".

Floyd

(having a stockpile of O&R engines)
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here