News:

• April 30, 2024, 10:34:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Classic Build  (Read 5592 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: New Classic Build
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2010, 10:43:39 AM »
Did you have some parts of this laser cut? Judging from the pictures it looks that way.

HI Mike,

Nope, all hand cut parts.  :o

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2010, 11:17:53 AM »
Ah. Then your lettering skills for labeling the fuse formers are far neater - and more precise - than mine.   :)

Online Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2010, 10:19:06 PM »
Hi Bill,
The model is looking great!
Question on I-beams; When Bob built his USA-1 he said the wing got a little thinner than he wanted when final shape sanding it. Do you make your ribs a little bigger dimensionally, sand less, etc to make sure the airfoil doesn't get thinner?
Thanks man,
Chris...

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2010, 05:31:58 PM »
Hi Bill,
The model is looking great!
Question on I-beams; When Bob built his USA-1 he said the wing got a little thinner than he wanted when final shape sanding it. Do you make your ribs a little bigger dimensionally, sand less, etc to make sure the airfoil doesn't get thinner?
Thanks man,
Chris...

Hi Chris,

I don't make any real change to the ribs, but I mount them just a touch *proud of the LE and TE so that I can blend them in while shaping the to *edges*.

As to the USA-1, the original plans I had were too "shallow" in the spar height to make the ribs work right, so the four we have built here, and those I have talked to about it, I have suggested adding 1/8" cap strips to the spars so that the actual airfoil can be achieved.  If done as my plans showed, the ribs had to be forced down to meet the spar by about 1/8".  You *could* make the spar 1/4" deeper and not worry about it.  I have not seen the plans that MA has that were with the article, mine were the early ones I got from Billy/Warren.  The rib template is correct, but the spar dimensions were not.  ???  With the *cap strips* the ribs went on fine and you can shape the cap strips as you are supposed to on an I-Beam plane.  I had already done one bottom panel on my first one when I called The Man and asked him if I was supposed to have to push the ribs down so far just for them to meet the spar.  It was putting a *U* shape in the ribs!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here