News:

• May 09, 2024, 09:55:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My first Nobler in 43 years  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
My first Nobler in 43 years
« on: August 29, 2007, 08:19:02 PM »
Actually, I thought since I've had questions about some of my building techniques around home that I'd share some here.

As usual I've somehow managed to load my pics in reverse order so just go to the bottom and scroll up.

Forgot to mention and picture tapering the stab to the tips. Before I do any sanding I makr the center of the cord line around the outside of the surface, that way I always have a reference to insure symetry.

Above the stab ready to have the elevators match sanded hanging on the tail, starting to look like a Nobler

In these pics you can see the LE formed to the high point, its now ready to round off and finish the edges

By carefully sanding the leading edge and ribs away until I have everything between the high point line and the LE thinckness strip gone

Then I carved off the excess balsa

I formed my stab hand launched glider style. I marked the high point then drew a line on the top of every rib ahead of the high point. Note here and above a 1/8 strip of junk balsa glued to the LE, this is a profile guide to sand to

Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Online John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: My first Nobler in 43 years
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 08:35:18 PM »
Randy,
Outstanding.  Did you have this one laying out when we were down there a couple of weeks ago?
John
John Paris

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 08:51:31 PM »
Yeah John, it was down there, but the fuse wasn't together and the tail feathers were only a thought. This is my "cheater" Nobler with a foam wing sheeted and cap stripped. It going to be covered with Monokote and Radio South paint on the fillets. It's going to look just like the one I built when I was 14, I'm even using the original Froom spinner I had on it. I know, Corsair blue, just like the ARFS, but that's the way I want it, I garantee it won't look like an ARF. I yeah, I'm going to put the gear fairings on too.

Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 10:00:28 PM »
Nice work Randy, keep it up!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 10:17:03 AM »
Great Job Randy!

Heck it even LOOKS light and straight, that is a nice combination in a green box Nobler... 

Fox 35 too?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 11:57:48 AM »
Looks good, Randy. Love those CA covered fingers. Chew off the CA do you? 

They look like mine.   LL~

Construction looks very good.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 07:43:05 PM »
Great Job Randy!

Heck it even LOOKS light and straight, that is a nice combination in a green box Nobler... 

Fox 35 too?

Well jeepers Dennis, I'm a lifetime Free Flighter, I hope its light and straight!! Thanks really, it should come out pretty light, but straight is more important. Yes, Fox 35, BUT with GMA's last ABC piston/liner set, it runs sweet. When I bought it, George said it was the last one, that wasn't long before he passed away.

Randy, we are kindred spirits in name and habit. I gotta admit though, chewing off Testors was much more enjoyable, except maybe for the times I got some that wasn't completely dry! **)
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 08:22:15 PM »
Hi Brother Randy!

I love to see your wood work, it's always SO CLEAN!  You have always shown the mark of a true craftsman.  Don't get it TOO light!  Even though I always try to build as light as I can, for some reason every one who has built on under 40 ounces says they really don;t do well. (??) Gets me, I don't have a clue as to why.............  ;D

What finishing materials are you going to use?  I know it will be silkspan and dope, just don't know which brand!  ???  <=

I know this one will be a beaut, so keep on adding pictures as you go! y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 05:49:21 AM »
 Hi Randy, Your first Nobler in 43 years is looking great!

I have had the Green box Nobler plan for a while and intend to build it soon.

My girls recently picked up a Brodak Nobler kit for me so I will start on that next, using a fresh "red head" Merco .35 for traditional style power.
 I am really hanging out to finally (after 20 years) to fly a Nobler but I have a Ramrod, T-bird 2 and a Peacemaker to finish first. I'm sure you know the drill.  **)

Cheers, Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 02:04:38 PM »
Hey Brother Bill,

Thanks for the kind words. Actually I'm going to do this in Monokote, I'm breaking with tradition. I'm be doing the fillets with Radio South Flying colors urethane (PPG) and some insignia just like the photo of the one I built when I was 14. I'm also thinking of including a balist box on the CG so I can play with the weight. I'm using a foam wing core sheeted and capped to look like it built up, so I should ge a little extra weight there. George told me that his weighed 56 oz when it finally met its demise. I've heard allot of weights, but that's what he told me. It'll be a push, but I'm hoping to have it ready to take to Columbus Ohic to the Capitol City CLers meet the end of Sept.

Rob,

I try to only have one project going at a time, but I've fallen off the wagon. I'll have to get reorganized so I can get something done! Thanks for the kind words.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 09:59:20 PM »
HI Brother Randy!

I didn't know you even knew how to use an iron!  LL~

I'm sure it will turn out fine. ;D  As to the "Kept Foam" wing (as Tom Dixon coined the term) They do work real well.  Steve Fitton used one in his "infamous yellow" Gieseke Nobler.  With a Fox 35 it pretty well got him to expert!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 10:34:48 PM »
Bill,

I could never prove it, but I was doing wings like this in 1969. They worked really well. I did one for a Berkley scale Mustang I converted to stunt. By the way I've got lotsa 'sperience with Moneykote, I've covered up to some 1/3 scale aerobatics models for local R/Cers, and used quite a bit of it over the years on both RC and Free Flight gas models of myown. I've decided that all but my most serious competitive models will use time saving techniques. I still love a rubbed dope finish and will always go back to that for the "good" stuff.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 09:02:34 PM by Randy Ryan »
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 01:30:57 AM »
I hear ya, buddy.  I was just pickin' about the $cote.  I just remember your finish on that awesome Jecto Sabre!  I wish you well with the new Nobler.  I also had a blue one in my youth! ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 05:03:07 AM »
  Hi Randy,
I was wondering what size bellcrank, horns and ratios you were planning on running in your Nobler?

Just thinking out aloud but I am trying to avoid my Nobler from flying like most of the other classic planes I've built with super fast controls, flick and hope the model ends up facing the right way!  **)

Cheers, Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 08:57:03 AM »
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=5660.0

Rob,

Have a look at the thread above. There are pictures of my rather busy and ambitious control system. The bellcrank is 4 " but I've designed it so I have throw and ratio adjustment anywhere between 0 deflection to full deflection, 30 degrees in this case. This is an experiment to explore the effexts of ratio and throw combinations using a well established design, the Nobler. I will also be including a ballast box on the CG as well as nose, tail and wingtip weight boxes.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 04:21:40 PM »
  Hi Randy,
Come to think of it I did see your control system in the other post.

Guess I've been doing shift work too long HB~>.

I will look at running a 4" bellcrank with longish horns so that I can adjust the speed at the handle.

Having a narrow line spacing to tame fast controls never seems to give much feel and I'm usually less than happy with the end result.

Thanks, Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline Annette Elmore

• Lieutenant
    • Lots of UK-related stunt stuff
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2007, 12:18:46 AM »
The title of this thread reminds me of George Burns appearing at the London Paladium in the 80s:

"I last played this theatre in 1937.......

They liked me so much they asked me back"

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 10:54:10 PM »
Nice job. The Nobler is a great plane. I built several in the 50's before I knew all of the stunt pattern. Mine were all light because I was raising a family and really could't affoprd much paint. I bult one in the 90's when I knew the pattern. what a great plane. Mine wieghs around 48 ounces with a sSuper Tigre 46 in it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 11:24:10 PM by Leo Mehl »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here