News:

• May 12, 2024, 07:06:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking for ideas for the perpetual Sheeks trophy.  (Read 1129 times)

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Looking for ideas for the perpetual Sheeks trophy.
« on: December 02, 2007, 04:45:07 PM »
We are looking for ideas for the perpetual trophy for the Sheeks award. We plan to award the first time at VSC XX. The recipient will take it home,( in the USA) until the next year, when the next recipient is selectsd, there will be awarded a plaque or trophy for the previous recipient to keep forever.

I've seen a lot of styles of perpetual awards. I tend to prefer something other than the traditional loving cup, so we're asking you to pitch in with your ideas.

Thanks, and let's see a lot of Sheeks designs at VSC XX.

John Miller
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Looking for ideas for the perpetual Sheeks trophy.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 06:51:32 PM »
I was thinking of a big fancy trophy with one of those bobble-head dolls...a harem girl...on top. Even I didn't think it was a very good idea. How about a Harley Copsickle on top? Didn't Jack ride one of those for a living?  :X Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 02:28:44 AM »
John,

I agree that the cup is over done. The elephant award at VSC was unique. District VIII has a pilots award each year with a large eagle. (See below with Joe Bowman).

Since Jack's designs have been built many places, maybe a globe??

I think that having an I-Beamer modeled would take a very large bank roll. Besides, while Jack had many I-beamers, he did not invent that construction, and there is already an I-beam award given at VSC
AMA 7544

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 05:21:04 AM »
Man this is a tough one.  We need a trophy that pays homage to our friend and also his body of work.  This suggestion is not as strong as I would have liked, but maybe collectively we can run with it different pieces of it  and improve on it:

* A (walnet?) wall plaque shaped like the state of Indiana.

* Photo print (on brass) a picture of the man surrounded by pictures, plan pages or 3 views of his designs, especially the Classic era designs likely to be VSC legal.  Each picture to have the name of the bird and its publication date shown.

* Each annual winner gets his name, year and name of the design he flew etched on a separate brass plate.

VARIATION
Jack was a motorsickle cop - make the plates like described above and attach them to a black helmet?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 07:37:46 PM »
Great ideas so far. Keep it coming, we just may be able to have the best perpetual award ever, to honor the man who kept the designs coming, even when it was looking like CL was going to die.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 12:25:58 AM »
John,
I am wondering if there was ever a plastic kit of Falk's "Rivets" . If so, this could supply a trophy top or a source to make a molded "Knight".
AMA 7544

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 07:15:19 AM »
This is really off the wall but...

Use a wod and brass frame with proper etchings as a base, then make the trophy a electronic chip viewer - a small screene around 5" x 8".  store scanned in pix from articles, then pix from VSC.  Starting year one take pix, stored on a chip; add to those pix every year.

Oh yeah, make a back-up chip updating it annually too..!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 11:57:13 AM »
John,
I am wondering if there was ever a plastic kit of Falk's "Rivets" . If so, this could supply a trophy top or a source to make a molded "Knight".

Yes, I believe Williams Bros. made a 1/48th scale plastic model of the Rivets.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 01:14:40 PM »
We are looking for ideas for the perpetual trophy for the Sheeks award. We plan to award the first time at VSC XX. The recipient will take it home,( in the USA) until the next year, when the next recipient is selectsd, there will be awarded a plaque or trophy for the previous recipient to keep forever.

I've seen a lot of styles of perpetual awards. I tend to prefer something other than the traditional loving cup, so we're asking you to pitch in with your ideas.

Thanks, and let's see a lot of Sheeks designs at VSC XX.

John Miller

Perpetual ?

I thought this was supposed to be a one-time thing, with a different designer honored every year?
Paul Smith

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 02:14:29 PM »
Paul,

Paul,

If you go back to John and mine's original posts on the Sheeks Award, it was ALWAYS meant to be a perpetual award. This is because Jack is undeniably the most prolific designer of published airplanes, particularly CL stunters, in addition to his Scale and RC airplanes. NO ONE published more Classic stunters than Jack.

Dick Sarpolus is also prolific, but Jack had many more stunters than Dick.

Some have talked about honoring others, and this is great. Many are already honored with various awards.   
AMA 7544

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 10:33:44 AM »
OK, thanks for the ideas folks. I've been out to visit several trophy manufacturers, and I believe I have a great design for the award.

Now, I need some help. I need a good photo of Jack, either from today, or back in the day. Can someone e-mail me a file? I'd most be interested in one with Jack holding a Shiek.

I'm really enjoying the progress posts. They are showing some really fine planes are being built.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 01:53:32 PM by Ty Marcucci »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here