News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:02:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lew Woolard article in CLW  (Read 705 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Lew Woolard article in CLW
« on: April 27, 2010, 07:15:22 AM »
There's a nice cover story about Lew and his planes in the latest edition of Control Line World.

I would like to corret one big error on page 6 before anybody starts building an Eindecker with the idea he can use it Classic and maybe fudge it into OTS.

The plane was designed in 1974 as an air show model, as documented in the February 1976 Model Airplane News.  In  1975, I invited Lew to ride down to the Lake Charles Nats with me.  He built the first CLPA Eindecker in a hurry-up job in June of 1975.

The dates under the picture are 21 years off.  The correct time frame is stated in the CLW text on pages 7 & 8.  The plane is clearly a nice N30 subject.

Another comment about Lew''s red coverall with the iron cross on the back:  Lew always likes to look spiffy when he flys stunt, so for the 1975 Nats he bought a new set of flying clothes.  Unfortunately, the "hot" new product on sale in 1975 was double knit polyester.  As everybody soon found out, that stuff gives you an instant skin rash when you work up  a sweat on a hot day. 

So Lew and I went shopping for clothes in Lake Charles and found some cotton jump suits.   I got an olive green one to look military and Lew got a bright red one to match his plane.  Mrs. Rhea Denny made and installed the iron cross emblem on site.  As the photos show, he's continued that look until today.

Paul Smith

Advertise Here

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?
Tags:

Advertise Here