News:

• May 01, 2024, 12:07:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jim Silhavy Gypsy  (Read 6123 times)

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Jim Silhavy Gypsy
« on: July 29, 2014, 04:28:32 PM »
For those who may have missed it, John Brodak just released the long awaited kit of the Silhavey "Gypsy"  It is the 46 sized and price is very reasonable.  I moved a "Gypsy" thread up for the pictures. The 46 sized Gypsy  has been on my "gotta build" list for years and now it may actually happen!  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Jim Silhavy Gypsy
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 07:10:15 PM »
Pete,

Does the Brodak one have the recommended mod's?

Jerry

PS: I have the plans with the mods on them.

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 07:16:28 PM »
I just read the next text................... ;D

And maybe Jim Silhavey will chime in here with the mods?!  y1

Thanks, Jerry

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 10:21:30 PM »
Hi Gerry, haven't seen the plans so don't about the mods you mention. The plans were recently published in Flying Models but may have been redrawn for the kit. John has always consulted with the original designer (if available) so I would guess that Jim Silhavey approves of this one. If anyone in the know wants to comment, please do, I must made the announcement so that its release would not go unnoticed...and BTW, mine was the second kit ordered. ;D   
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 09:41:39 AM »
Pete,

Bring it to the "Goyet" and I'll bring my plan for comparison. Should be interesting.

Jerry

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 12:37:11 PM »
Hi Pete,

Curious: what engine are you going to use?

Thanks!

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 02:14:10 PM »
Hi Bill, my initial thoughts are a long nose and a large airplane needs a strong but light engine. I'm thinking along the lines of a Stalker 61 (like the RE also) but that is definitely subject to change. As far as mods go, I have the magazine plans somewhere, guess I could dig them out and compare them to the kit when it arrives. It won't be for awhile though, wife caught me ordering so now it's my birthday present, not to be opened until. Fortunately that's at the end of next month. 8)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:17:45 PM by Balsa Butcher »
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 04:47:24 PM »
Pete,

I've made a HUGE "MISTRAKE". It's not the Gypsy that I was thinking of, but the Rondelli (sp?) Venus that Pete Peterson did a few years ago... ???

Guess my CSR is kicking in just fine. y1

See ya next month, Jerry

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 04:47:06 PM »
Glad things are progressing on schedule...now what was that we were we talking about?  ::)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 05:52:12 PM »
Hey Balsa Butcher; You think you got it bad having to wait till your birthday, I bought a Harley on ebay and I will not have enough birthdays to pay for that. I have learned it is easier to ask forgiveness instead of permission. It has worked so far as she still cooks for me. (Hint) A large diamond will cover a multitude of sins. LOL
Jim Kraft

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 07:06:55 PM »
Hi Bill, my initial thoughts are a long nose and a large airplane needs a strong but light engine. I'm thinking along the lines of a Stalker 61 (like the RE also) but that is definitely subject to change. As far as mods go, I have the magazine plans somewhere, guess I could dig them out and compare them to the kit when it arrives. It won't be for awhile though, wife caught me ordering so now it's my birthday present, not to be opened until. Fortunately that's at the end of next month. 8)

Alan Resinger flew his Gypsy 46 with a variety of Stalker 61's and generally YS20-20 fuel or even more nitro! Power still seemed inadequate. You might consult with him about power suggestions. I looked for a picture of Al's, and found his and another. Both very pretty, in case you need ideas.  ;) Steve   
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 06:08:09 PM »
Lots of possibilities power wise. Thanks for the pics. They are always good for inspiration. And yes, I did the motorcycle for a birthday present thing one year. Bike in question was a 2001 Triumph Thunderbird. After getting away with that one, a new kit is an easy sell. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here