News:

• May 12, 2024, 07:05:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jerseyan  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Jerseyan
« on: May 03, 2008, 01:58:06 AM »
Guy's
       Has anyone a photo of the Jerseyan,I have the plan,
just need a photo to clear up the strips which go along  the
cowl and fus side.
Thanks
Paul Allen
Downunder.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Jerseyan
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 04:47:44 AM »
Hi Paul.....Tom Niebuhr has an authentic Jerseyian. Better, he has a terrific kit! Laser cut, molded parts...deemed by lots to be the best, most complete kit EVER!
J.D. painted most orange.

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 06:05:05 PM »
Paul,

It was in flying models in the last couple of years.  I wil check and post picture if I can locate my copy.
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 08:41:35 AM »
Paul,

When I wrote the "Jerseyan" article, among the pictures submitted were details of the cheek strips that you want details of. Unfortunately, while I felt that these pictures were critical to constructing the nose, they were not included in the finished article.

I have these detailed pictures and many others. I will show them later, I have to reduce the pixel size for the forums. This is also because I unfortunately only have dial-up available where I live. It would take me "years" to send non-reduced photos.

I can also send you a CD of all the details and pictures of John's original "Jerseyan" and of the 2 that I have built. Please let me know where to send it to, via private message.

I do have laser cut "Jerseyan" ribs available. but I have not kitted the airplane as suggested above.

I will be glad to supply you more details. The airplane is very completive, right up there with the best of the Classics.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 12:53:24 PM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 12:44:12 PM »
Paul,

Here are some pictures of the "Jerseyan" that should help.

Tack glue the top block in place, then mark the location of the "cheeks" as seen in the 2nd picture. Then contour the top of the block BEFORE gluing the "cheeks" permanently on the side of the nose.
Exhausting cooling air exists through a slot on the underside of the "cheek".

John refinished the same airplane twice. It was originally metalic blue with a map of New Jersey on the wing, Then it was repainted 2 more times  in orange. The last time it was with a slightly reconfiguered nose, and a fuselage gear... but it was all the same airplane. The published version has the original nose that the airplane was best known for.

Interestingly, there was a 2nd "Jerseyan" built that was never flown in contests. It had an inverted engine, and a different rudder. It also flew well, but was given to a friend, and then lost.

I think that the pencil drawing of the 2nd version has been lost. I had it at one time but returned the drawing to John.

Again, if you send me your mailing address, I will send you a CD with many, many more pictures of both the construction, and actual "Jerseyans" that have been built.
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 03:35:41 PM »
Hey Tom!
What a STEADY HAND N' EYE YOU MUST HAVE TO DO SUCH A  BEAUTIFUL ORANGE FADE TRIM SCHEME!
Don Shultz

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 05:49:10 PM »
Don,

Thanks,

That was the first time I tried to airbrush something like that. I did about  an 8" test strip, then held my breath and went did it.

The paint scheme should be familiar to Indy car fans (IRL).
It was from the Purex sponsered cars driven by Robbie Buhl and Sarah Fisher. I loved that scheme the first time that I saw it.
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 03:00:38 PM »
Don,

Thanks,

That was the first time I tried to airbrush something like that. I did about  an 8" test strip, then held my breath and went did it.

The paint scheme should be familiar to Indy car fans (IRL).
It was from the Purex sponsered cars driven by Robbie Buhl and Sarah Fisher. I loved that scheme the first time that I saw it.

It takes  a very very BRAVE GRUNT- STEADY STEADY FINGA-GOOD CALIBRATED EYE-BALLS-QUALITY AIRBRUSH-A CONSISTANT COMPRESSOR WITH A STEADY FLOW.
Talk about a brave soul...that good ol' song... "A WING N' A PRAYER" comes to mind! BW@
Don Shultz

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 09:26:08 AM »
Have Air Brush, will carry!

I used a Badger air brush. Actually it was much easier than I expected.

I have a video by fellow Dallas club member,Al Rabe, that shows the technique for weathering ink lines. After watching Al's video, I just went for it! So, a public thanks to Al!
AMA 7544

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 02:49:55 PM »
Have Air Brush, will carry!

I used a Badger air brush. Actually it was much easier than I expected.

I have a video by fellow Dallas club member,Al Rabe, that shows the technique for weathering ink lines. After watching Al's video, I just went for it! So, a public thanks to Al!

Tom...from what I hear from some of your grunt buds.....you are one of the GIFTED ones and EZ for U  EZ for U to say. Am I ENVUS....heckity darn YES! Beautiful work! Outstanding!
Don Shultz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here