News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:52:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How Far can Mods Go?  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
How Far can Mods Go?
« on: December 26, 2006, 12:13:33 AM »
Hi Guys,

I'm sure this ground has been covered before, but I can't find it.

How far can I modify my Nobler and still fly it in Classic?

I would like to make it a stand WAAAAY off scale ME 109. Where on the list below it the cut off point that no longer meets the "letter" of the rules, and or the "Spirit" of the rules?

1. Only use an ME 109 paint scheme.

2. #1 + Only change the Canopy to look like an ME 109 canopy.

3. All above + change Rudder shape.

4. All above + change front 2" of the cowl area.

5. All above + change cowl area all the way back to the canopy.

After reading the rules, my guess is that #1 and #2 should not be a problem.   #3 may be OK, but pushing it a little?   #4 would be nice for me, but may be pushing the envelope?   #5 would be even nicer, but may be tearing the envelope open? ;-)

Your input would be greatly appreciated. ... TIA
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: How Far can Mods Go?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 08:30:44 AM »
Hi Rudy,

Wow, Classic really is about "the Spirit" of the event.  I know #1 is a no brainer, you can do that no sweat.  Beyond that I guess it is up to your conscience!  (PE**)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 08:58:04 AM »
As Bill has stated No. 1 is about the only thing you could get by with.  Never took time to take pictures at the time, but, I have seen Nobler wings and tail surfaces in different shaped fuselages.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 10:16:26 AM »
Hi Rudy,

I just thought of something!  Jack Sheeks published (under another name) a ME-109 that is Classic Legal with a D-Tube wing that looks a WHOLE LOT like a Green Box Nobler.  I built one about 10 years ago.........

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 11:16:53 AM »
You can do anything you want. I'm pretty sure the rules don't prohibit you from entering an SV-11 if you want. But it's not a classic. I sort of feel like if your are going to build a classic plane, build a classic plane. Many feel that it should be powered with an engine from the era, too. Sort of depends on how you feel about it.

I would have loved to increase the stab/elevator area on the Novi I'm building. The tail plane is pretty small (though the rudder is huge). But I feel like "a deal is a deal" and it's a classic plane so all of the areas are built according to plan. I did change the wing construction method, but that was more due to my familiarity with it and the fact that it will look identical once covered.

Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 06:15:07 PM »
  I think that not only should the power plants of the era be used, but also the glues,and wood quality of that era

Bigiron mw~
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 09:13:51 PM »
Hi Rudy
here ya  go, you can pretty much do whatever and use  any engine you want. I would just say keep in mind the spirit.

Rules from PAMPA  below

PAMPA Rules For
Classic Stunt
INASMUCH as the years prior to 1970 represent the Golden Years of Control Line Precision Aerobatics event
and
Whereas many of modeling’s most beautiful aircraft were designed and flown in those years, and
Whereas that era and those airplanes have great meaning to flyers who’s hearts hold a special place for these
significant aircraft which are the heart-blood of today’s stunt event, and
Whereas those flyers are desirous of an event, fashioned around those aircraft, to bring together Stunt modelers
to once again engage in friendly competition, camaraderie, and nostalgic reflection on the era;
Therefore be it resolved that the following rules will define such a competition, and BE IT FURTHER
RESOLVED THAT IF ANY RULE SHALL CONFLICT WITH THE ENJOYMENT OF THE EVENT AT
SUCH A COMPETITION, THAT CONFLICT SHALL BE RESOLVED SO AS TO PROVIDE THE
GREATEST POSSIBLE PARTICIPATION AND PLEASURE FOR ALL INVOLVED.
1. the purpose of the event is to encourage the construction and flying of control line stunt models
designed, published or kitted prior to the year of 1970. it is a fact that many old time stunt designs continued to
complete in the event subsequent to the inception of the “modern’’ pattern; therefore their appearance in a
classic-era event would not be out of character. Any design may be entered, provided the contestant has
convincing evidence of the designs compliance.
It is expected that the contestants will comply with the spirit of the event and enter only qualifying
models which as closely as possible accurately reflect the aerodynamic layout and appearance of the
original. In order to assist the judges, it is suggested that contestants provide reasonable proof that
the model presented was actually flown during the period of eligibility as defined in paragraph 1,
This proof could include kit plans, magazine articles and or plans, photographs and documentation
signed by the original designer. It is suggested that the judges ask the contestant if any changes have
been made to the model presented.
Although modern construction materials and techniques are allowed, models which more closely reflect the
construction and finish of the original airplane will receive superior awards such as during appearance judging.
In other words, although a foam core-winged model of an aircraft which originally was of I-Beam construction
is acceptable, it could be expected to receive fewer fidelity points than an equally constructed and finished
model of the same aircraft using materials more closely reflecting those of the original.
January 1, 1997
PAMPA classic rules
Page 1
PAMPA Rules For
Classic Stunt
acceptable, it could be expected to receive fewer fidelity points than an equally constructed and finished model
of the same aircraft using materials more closely reflecting those of the original.
Fidelity points from 0 to 20 will be awarded for fidelity to the concept of the original design and confirmation
to the spirit of the event. Obvious and or gross distortions of the original design of any eligible model in order to
gain an actual or perceived performance advantage over the original design will also be subject to reduction of
fidelity points. Again, the decision as to the level of distortion and the penalty appropriate for such will be at the
discretion of the on- site official and not subject to dispute.
Trim devises, such as adjustable tip weights, leadouts and removable landing gear, which allow the entrant to
adapt to the contest site and conditions are allowable. This would not allow the substitution of tricycle gear for a
conventional gear, or vice versa, however such alteration of the original design would be subject to
consideration under rule 4, above.
Contestants may enter models which they have not constructed themselves. However they will not be awarded
appearance points for such a model.
All current AMA safety rules will apply. The use of mufflers is encouraged, and may be required at some
contest sites. Event sponsors are encouraged to advise in their advertising circulars as to such requirements. The
use of mufflers will not be discriminated against and vis-à-vis fidelity to the original design.
Current AMA maneuver descriptions and procedures will be employed. Although the pattern of the classic era
had some minor procedural deviations from today’s pattern, they are not significant to the flyer and would only
cause administrative difficulties which it is our desire to minimize.
Appearance points, from 0 to 20 per current AMA regulations, will be awarded prior to the contestant’s first
flight. It is suggested that all models be judged together as the first official act of the competition. This allows
the greatest possible accuracy of comparison for judging and also will showcase these attractive models for
photo opportunities. Appearance points will be assigned by an official based on the level of craftsmanship,
finish, and overall beauty of the models.
January 1, 1997
PAMPA classic rules
Page 2

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 10:51:15 PM »
If you want to fly a Nobler that looks like a 109 and maintains the spirit of the event, it wouldn't hurt to check the palns available for Charles Mackey's Me-109 available from Randy Smith at Aero Products.

cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 09:40:58 AM »
You're only talking a few minor changes to the outline of the fuselage.  Noblers were built by the hundred with just about every fuselage outline you can imagine.  It's not like you are taking an Impact and calling it a Nobler just to get a better flying plane.  Under the "greatest enjoyment" clause mentioned above, it shouldn't be any problem at all.
phil Cartier

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 03:31:58 PM »
If you want to fly a semi-scale ME-109, just build whatever you want and fly it in AMA (modern) Stunt.

The Trostle design from the 1970 Nats should be pretty close, better to fiddle with that than a Nobler.
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 12:51:18 AM »
Hi Paul,

Keith Trostle's plane was an FW-190. **)

But I know where you are coming from.

BTW:  I wonder just how far the Mackey ME-109 is off from a Nobler? 

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 11:25:12 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great replies to my original questions. I had two main reasons for asking:

1. I wanted to get a feel for where the limits are so I know what I can build to enter Classic at the three local Classic contests we have every year here in SoCal.

2. I wanted to get this information (your excellent answers) on the forum so that others who are thinking of entering "Classic" know what the general limits are.

I read the rules before I asked the question, but I am glad Randy Smith took the time to post them on this thread for all of us to review. As stated by Phil C., by the "letter" of the rules almost anything goes RE: mods of classic designs. But as Randy Powell, Randy Smith, and others have stated, the "SPIRIT" of the rules is very important for this event.

After reviewing many plans, it is obvious that a handful of classic planes like the Nobler and others, have been slightly modified and then called something else. Bill Little and Doc have suggested some very good planes for classic. I already have all of these plans, I was just lazy and wanted to modify the Nobler I have already built but have not covered yet. I also just wanted to fly my Nobler in Classic without having it look exactly like the 5,000 other Noblers entered! ;-)

Bill, you're on the right track asking about Macky's ME-0109. It is not just similar to the Nobler, it IS a Nobler. I held my Nobler fuselage against his full size plans and it is a perfect match. The only slight difference is that his plane is not as tall as the Nobler, but it is otherwise the same. The wing is almost a perfect match too. If I did modify my Nobler, I would be much better off just calling it a Macky ME-109 and everyone would be happy!  ;-)

I am not going to do the above because I agree with all those who talked about the spirit of the event. The rules are well constructed, and after all the input from this forum, it is clear what the goal of the event is. The success of the VSC is proof of this. I think we will see more entries in this event as more of us old "retreads" come back to our roots and fly CL again. :-)

BTW: Kieth Trostle calls his excellent CL FW a Ta152 on his plans, but Bill Little, you have a point, it could have been called a FW 190D-9 because on the outside the planes look very much alike. Kieth put the supercharger on the same side where it was on the Ta 152. IMHO, Kieth's FW is one of the best looking of all the semi-scale CL stunt planes.

Again, thank you all for the time and thought that went into your helpful replies. You have helped me, and I am sure you have also helped the many readers of this classic thread. :-)

Warm Regards and a Happy "Flying" New Year to all  :-)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 04:20:58 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 07:00:45 AM »

BTW: Kieth Trostle calls his excellent FW a Ta152, but Bill Little is right, it is much closer to a FW 190D-9 because it has the more normal size FW 190 wing. IMHO, Kieth's FW is one of the best looking of all the semi-scale CL stunt planes.

Warm Regards and a Happy "Flying" New Year to all  :-)

Rudy,

The Ta152 was a Focke Wulf plane. They named it a "Ta" in honor of Kurt Tank, their chief designer - and the man who designed the FW 190.

I definitely agree with you about its looks. I have an original photo of it at the 1966 Glenview Nats (Keith's first?) and hope to get it scanned in so I can post it. I'll never forget the time Keith and Jim Silhavy spent patiently answering my teenage questions. Maj Trostle finished in 5th place, IIRC.

Take care and have a safe and wonderful New Year,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 05:21:31 PM »
Hi Ron,

Keith is a very nice guy. It must have been nice getting advice from him when you were a teenager. Keith flew in our CL club here in SoCal until he moved to AZ (to be closer to the VSC? ;-). I used to enjoy watching him fly his amazing, orange Bearcat. Seeing Keith fly his "Classic" planes better than most guys can fly a modern stunter, got me interested in building a classic A/C. Keith did very well with his Ta 152 in the late 60s. I just talked with him recently about his Focke Wulf Ta152. He said he is building another one this winter. I hope to build one this year and have it ready for VSC 2008. It may take me awhile, there are just too many distractions here in SoCal. ;-)

If anyone is interested in this very nice Classic CL plane they can contact Model Airplane News and get a copy of the DEC 1968 building article. The plans are available from Stuka Stunt.

At the risk of sounding too much like an AR geek on the subject, here are a few comments on this fine A/C. The 1st F-W Ta 152 prototypes were very similar in appearance to the FW 190D-9. They had the awesome Daimler Benz DB 603 V12 in-line Supercharged, water cooled engine, producing 1,750 HP. This made for an extraordinary A/C that was the match of any allied fighter, including the outstanding P-51. But it was near the end of the war, and by the time Kurt Tank got to the High altitude (44,400'), loooong wing, Ta 152H version the war was really over for the German Luftwaffe. With its long nose moment, long fuselage, and large tail, this plane, early Ta 152 models, makes for a very good CL scale A/C.
     in case anyone is interested in German fighters, Dietmar Harmann's excellent book on the Focke-Wulf Ta 152 is a great reference and makes for interesting reading on the history of German A/C. With a last name like "Taube", I seem to have acquired more than a few books on German aircraft over the past several decades. ;-)
     FWIW: There was also a prototype high altitude ME-109 made. It was the ME-109H. With its extended wing, and wide (like the Ta152) LG, it too would make a great CL simi-scale model.

Thanks Ron, 2007 looks like a great year for CL! :-)

Rudy,

The Ta152 was a Focke Wulf plane. They named it a "Ta" in honor of Kurt Tank, their chief designer - and the man who designed the FW 190.

I definitely agree with you about its looks. I have an original photo of it at the 1966 Glenview Nats (Keith's first?) and hope to get it scanned in so I can post it. I'll never forget the time Keith and Jim Silhavy spent patiently answering my teenage questions. Maj Trostle finished in 5th place, IIRC.

Take care and have a safe and wonderful New Year,

Ron

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 09:36:31 AM »
Ron,
Very interesting. I had always thought the TA-152 as well as all of the "long nose" Focke Wulf's were Junkers Jumo powered!
Chris...

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 10:54:03 AM »
Hi Guys,

(clip)

BTW: Kieth Trostle calls his excellent FW a Ta152, but Bill Little is right, it is much closer to a FW 190D-9 because it has the more normal size FW 190 wing. IMHO, Kieth's FW is one of the best looking of all the semi-scale CL stunt planes.

(clip)

Rudy, there is very little difference in the outward appearance of the FW 190D and the Ta 152C.  One of the primary visual differences between these two aircraft was which side the supercharger intake was located.   There was a long span, high aspect ratio version of the Ta 152 which was designated the Ta 152H.  I make no claim that my Focke Wulf Ta 152 published in 1968 is any thing near a scale replica of the Focke Wulf aircraft, at least in the sense of the great works of Al Rabe and Ron Burn.  My design can best be described as a caricature semi-scale model.  I think, however, that it does have certain visual cues that remind one of the Focke Wulf long nosed fighers.

Keith Trostle

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 03:54:34 PM »
Ron,
Very interesting. I had always thought the TA-152 as well as all of the "long nose" Focke Wulf's were Junkers Jumo powered!
Chris...

Hi Chris,

I never know how much detail to put into these posts. I always assume most people are already bored somewhere after my second sentence! ;-)

You are correct. The Jumo 213A was also used in some of the 1st prototypes. Most used the DB 603 G. Then when the Jumo 213E version became available, it was also used in some of the few production A/C that made it to active duty. This Jumo and the DB 603 G were only a stop gap solution while FW was awaiting the DB 603 LA which produced 2,250 HP. The DB was much more reliable than the Jumo, but was not as readily available. Both engines were still being used in the A/Cs development when the war ended. ..... Even for the last two people that have read this far, this is probably waaaaay more than anyone really wants to know about this! ;-)

In closing, The development of the Ta 152 was not done in the same safe environment enjoyed by the USA aviation industry. Things did not go smoothly. One can only imagine how hectic it was in 1944/45 Germany trying to build A/C, let alone producing a new design!
    My guess is the phone calls went something like: "..... Hi Kurt, you know those 200 superchargers, and the ball bearings that we were going to send you today? There will be a slight delay. You see, our factory is in ashes, the train tracks are destroyed, and most of my workers are missing. I'll get back to you in a few days. Sorry, I have to go now, I hear the sound of a PW and a Merlin engine overhead!....."

I
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 06:18:56 PM »
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the comments. Your much to modest. I think your FW Ta 152 is right up there with the other CL semi-scale planes. The guys in our club still remember your FW. I only hope I can build one good enough to do your design justice.

I just reread your 1968 article and saw where you mentioned the close similarity between the 190 D-9 and the Ta 152. You said you decided on the placement of the Super charger intake to make it look more like the Ta 152. That really shows how close they were! I think the A model you used, with the standard wing, is perfect for our CL use. The High Alt. long wing "H" model would make a great R/C slope glider.

With it's long nose your design will be easy to balance, and it will also provide plenty of room for my 8 1/2" long battery. It will be nice to have a competitive plane that looks scale too. :-)

We look forward to seeing you at the Palmer and Joust this year. :-)

Rudy, there is very little difference in the outward appearance of the FW 190D and the Ta 152C.  One of the primary visual differences between these two aircraft was which side the supercharger intake was located.   There was a long span, high aspect ratio version of the Ta 152 which was designated the Ta 152H.  I make no claim that my Focke Wulf Ta 152 published in 1968 is any thing near a scale replica of the Focke Wulf aircraft, at least in the sense of the great works of Al Rabe and Ron Burn.  My design can best be described as a caricature semi-scale model.  I think, however, that it does have certain visual cues that remind one of the Focke Wulf long nosed fighers.

Keith Trostle
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline roger gebhart

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 06:42:41 PM »
I have the Ta 152 plan and now a bit of history to go with it.  Thanks. Keith I've thought that was a pretty ship for a long time

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 07:25:16 PM »
Keith,

I've never seen your TA-152 fly, but it will really have to go some to fly as well as the Gulfhawk Bearcat.

Jim Pollock    n~

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 06:43:25 PM »

Theres a Spanish Me 109 , (Ha  1109) that was published in Aeromodellor in the 50s

As "Piccador" I think. Flown at the world champs ? , Parrallel Chord wing.

Its the Merlin engine version like in the Battle of Britian Film.

The Spanish built ons were often silver,a Photo Recosanance one was Purpleish,
  the Roundles are Red , Yellow , Red .
  So the schemes a bit colourfull .

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here