News:

• May 06, 2024, 09:07:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flying Classic Planes  (Read 2633 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Flying Classic Planes
« on: September 28, 2007, 09:46:35 AM »
Well,guys,  I am taking my *own* advice for the upcoming Huntersville meet! ;D

I have been a proponent of flying a Classic plane in "Classic" (of course, duh! LL~ ) and in your PAMPA class, whatever that may be, at local meets.  This gives more time to *flying* and less time to *adjusting*.  Not having to switch planes from Saturday to Sunday can be a blessing!  Not that I will probably contend in either event, I just can't get out to fly enough  :'( but it will make things easier.

My *Weapon of Choice*??  It will be my new Werwage Vulcan w/Aero Tiger 36.  I have found this set up to be VERY GOOD so far!  I have about 6-8 flights on it so far, and it "shows a lot of promise" (to quote Terry Fancher)!  I know in my case, i will not be giving up any performance to do this.  A good Classic plane is extremely competitive in less than the top echelon competitions (and could do well there under the right conditions, I'm sure).

A few short weeks and counting! **)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Flying Classic Planes
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 10:10:01 AM »
Bill,

The only time I did this was with the USA-1. Flew it in both classic and PA. Worked OK. No complaints.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 11:39:30 AM »
Jim De Young also flew his USA-1 in both Classic and PAMPA at the FCM meeting in '06. Absolutely magnificent workmanship and finish. Twenty points from me.  :##

I would also like to do this, but simply haven't found the right design. I like big planes, I think they fly better in a variety of conditions. I also happen to like the way my own Alouette has worked out.

I'm still going to try and finish my Shark this winter. It *may* be the one.

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 09:38:51 AM »
I only had the chance to double dip my USA-1 at one contest, before she got fickle and left me for another man! LOL!

I remember all too well the Yellow Nobler, there, Steve!  You did pretty good with that one. y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 10:35:44 AM »
At this time, my All American Eagle, designed by Dave Gierke, is my go to classic ship, as well as my front line PAMPA ship. It has performed well for me in this combined role. It's really nice when you can do this, because Classic day, usually Saturday, is also a practise day for my PAMPA class on Sunday.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 12:55:02 PM »
At this time, my All American Eagle, designed by Dave Gierke, is my go to classic ship, as well as my front line PAMPA ship. It has performed well for me in this combined role. It's really nice when you can do this, because Classic day, usually Saturday, is also a practise day for my PAMPA class on Sunday.

Hi John,

There are several of us who have championed this idea for a long time.  Maybe it was Bob Hunt (??) who I first read on this subject, Tom Niebuhr has commented on it a bunch!   I believe it gives a LOT more quality time in front of judges to us who do NOT get to fly a bunch.  We fly the same plane in front of judges for two days in a row! ;D  That HAS to help if we are trying to get better.  I wonder how many flights it takes MOST of us to get comfortable when switching from one plane to the other?

Not all of us have a dozen planes which we have put 1000-2000 flights on like Paul or Billy! LL~  In fact, my Geo Juno just celebrated its 10th Birthday.  I don't have 200 flights on it, I would guess, and it's been my "go to" PAMPA plane since I built it!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 11:11:44 AM »
Sorry, Allen, I should have mentioned you for promoting this idea in FLying Models (and other places!) for a LONG time now.  mea culpa

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 05:55:01 PM »
Hey Allen, you can add this one to the list. I'm very impressed with it.

John
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 01:33:48 PM »
At last week's contest here in Tucson, the first 3 places in PAMPA Expert were all classic planes: Bob Whitley with his Hunter, Kieth Trostle with his Rabe Bearcat, and Lou Wolgast with his Fury.  It seems that more and more people are using classics as their PAMPA planes.  In a discussion after our club meeting, Lou Wolgast expressed the opinion that classic designs built with modern construction, adjustment features, and modern engines were indeed competitive with most current designs.  A Shark 45 with a greenhead Torp 45, fixed leadouts and tip weights, and 3 inch bellcrank is indeed a different animal than one with a ST60, adjustable leadouts, tip weight box, and modern controls.

Kieth has expressed the opinion that a Chizler with an Aero Tiger 36 or PA UL40 would be a very competitive airplane for PAMPA Expert level events.

Steve

Online James Mills

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 06:33:17 PM »
I did flew both Advanced and Classic with a Shark 45 for several years.  Did pretty well with it.

James
AMA 491167

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 09:09:59 PM »
For several years I had one plane that I flew in three classes of stunt,  Old Time, Classic and Intermediate at the time.  Even got an award from John Brodak for the highest placing Brodak kit in Int at the NATS one year.  Of course an individual would snicker every time I flew Old Time with it.  It was the George Aldrich Nobler kitted by Brodak.  I was comparing it to the plans I got from George at VSC one year and there is subtle differences.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 08:48:56 AM »
Its a good idea.  It worked for me with my Gieseke Nobler.  If I ever got off my butt and built a Shark 45, I could even have a "big" Classic plane....

Steve

Yes, Stevie Boy, I well remember the nasty ol' G-Nobler painted and finished in that Gawd awful YELLOW!

But how can I complain??????  you kicked my butt til I was too sore to sit down (at least until you quit sandbagging! LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ )

Your experience is exactly the one I quote to the *nonbelievers*: "all the way to Expert with a G-Nobler and a nasty ol' Fox 35!"   ya done good y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Airacobra

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 01:02:59 PM »
Joe Reinhard and I flew our Gypsy's yesterday. There is no doubt that either airplane can be competitive at any level. I have said it many times before, the difference is the guy on the handle.
Keith Bryant

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here