News:

• May 12, 2024, 03:59:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine thoughts :)Hi All,  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Engine thoughts :)Hi All,
« on: December 21, 2010, 02:43:22 PM »
Hi All,

I have acquired a lot more engines that I will probably ever use.  I am sure some of you have the same problem! LL~  (of course, I expect to be flying C/L until I am past 150 years old!  n~  :## )

I have been basically using Aero Tiger .36s in most of my Classic planes for years now.  And other "modern" engines for different sized planes.

I am going to be using various "period" engines for some new planes I build.  Trying to sorta match the plane to the original engine shown on the plans, etc..  I am going to do this for a couple reasons, one is that I don't stand a gnat's chance in a level 10 Hurricane of a podium finish at local contests and I have the engines around.  More of a "fun factor" in my eyes.

Yeah, I won't be able to punch through gale force winds, but some engines I have will be put to good use! LL~  They run good, are consistent and I have the stuff to run them with as far as correct fuel, props and the rest.

My point?  not much really, I guess.  I am just looking to get more fun out of my hobby on a personal level.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Engine thoughts :)Hi All,
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 08:18:07 PM »
Isn't that what this is all about.  HAVING FUN.  Talk about engines.  I didn't realize how many I have.  I have Fox 35's. 29's, 15's and the newer .25's.  Plan on one of these days in getting out and just run each of them just to see which might bring some fun to a youngster just starting.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 11:50:33 PM »
I think that's great, Bill.  A good reason for Classic is to help me relive my youth.  Period engines are part of it.  Now if we could just bring back the Rolling Stones.  Oh, that's right, they never went away.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 07:44:55 AM »
I can see the appeal of that concept..

Ive got an original 1951 MAN Nobler with Veco .29 and a 1951 MAN Nobler with Stalker .61

Both have similar flying charactisics, sure the Veco isnt as powerful but on a calm day still does the job. I feel the nostalgia when the wind gets up tho ..

The difference is dependability, even on those windy days the .61 still drones around what a joy to fly.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 07:54:34 PM »
A .61 in a Nobler???  Sounds a little over powered or a very weak .61. LL~ LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 08:00:16 PM »
Hi Doc,

P.J's .61 Nobler is well documented and he has made it work exceedingly well according to reports.  I don't have a clue HOW, but he has! LL~ LL~ LL~

It makes me think of dropping a 3000HP Nitro Funny Car engine in a street driven 1960 Falcon.  I'd hate to try and take a corner at 55 mph.......... LL~ LL~ LL~

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 08:05:30 PM »
Beefed up suspension with big tires and lowered to the ground it should handle okay.   #^ #^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 08:09:49 PM »
Beefed up suspension with big tires and lowered to the ground it should handle okay.   #^ #^

Doc, I think it would take an engineering redesign along the lines of a Porsche 917 or 956/962, modern Panoz, etc., to make something like that really handle the way I like. ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 02:42:47 AM »
Rolls Royce Griffons or Merlins have been known to work .Though one in a FJ Holden didnt.
Count Zurbroskis Aircraft Engined truck chassised Brooklands cars inspired the movie 'chitty chitty bang bang .
Dunno if theyed get away with that title these days.A Magnificent men and their flying machines / Mary Poppins
(groan) cross ?

Lotta cars had  Napier Lion W 12 engines , they dug 'Babs' out of Pendine Sands a while back

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 05:52:14 AM »
*quote*
Hi Doc,

P.J's .61 Nobler is well documented and he has made it work exceedingly well according to reports.

3 Consecutive Nats Wins and 3 - 2nd spot finishes -

Well those who decide to attend the 2011 US Nats in classic can see for yourself. I'm putting the finishing touches on my Classic model as we speak, with Old faithful up the front.

Its a stalker .61 Longstroke Lite - But ive run Several versions and setup properly they all give similar performance.
Originally I ran the standard 4-2-4 Normal  edition, which is mild, then I Went to the 4-2-4 LT EX which has a little more power, I used that for 2 years, then decided I wanted to attempt to fly it in regular contests so I upgraded it to my normal Comp motor which was a LT Ex Longstroke .61. - and decresed my line length 1 ft to give me more positive performance. Still did execptionally well.

Honestly I got part of the idea from Shows like overhauln and the like where they take classic cars with modern day power house engines inside..

Bill.. its not really that bad.....
a 1960 Falcon had a V8 164 HP ( 122 KW )
The Original Nobler had a Veco .29
I put a Stalker .61 - so thats 2.1x More Power...
A 1960 Falcon with  343 HP ( 256 kw ) - Would still be ALOT of fun tho granted.. but a 3000 HP Nitro funny car engine..

Thats..25 times more power.. So A Nobler with a 75 CC engine! Now even Id be the first to say -  LL~ no thanks..

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here