News:

• May 02, 2024, 06:43:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine start rule for Classic ?  (Read 927 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Engine start rule for Classic ?
« on: August 24, 2008, 10:26:21 AM »
Guys,

What is the current rule for engine/motor starting in "Classic" stunt event? Does the pilot have to start the engine or be present at the plane during starting?

Under the current AMA rules in the General section 5 Preparing for Flight it states that the engine for CL and RC may be started by and assistant. In the CLPA section it only states that you must be airborn within 3 min of giving the start signal to the judges. The interpretation is that the pilot can be at the handle while the motor is started by someone else. Does this apply? If not were is it in the rules?

If the 1 min start bonus is given are electric starters allowed in Classic?

Best,    Dennis

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Engine start rule for Classic ?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 11:36:34 AM »
Hi Dennis,

Sorry, I have been hit or miss lately, so here goes.

I do not know of a separate rule for Classic as to engine starting.  The PAMPA rules for Classic follow the current AMA rules so there is no starting bonus.  As to the pilot starting the engine, I have started my son's engines almost every time at every contest we have been to in the last 15 years including the NATS without penalty...

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 03:42:30 PM »
Guess I  missed this one.  With Emmy and even when my son was real young I always started the engine.  But, the judges always told me they had to be at the plane during starting.  After engine was started then they went to the handle.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 06:26:38 PM »
I believe this was answered but maybe it was somehow deleted in the transition to the newrules forum that Robert has established.

Classic uses the same rules regarding contest procedures and pattern as the current AMA CLPA rules.  There is nothing in the rulebook that requires the pilot to start the engine or to be in the immediate vicinity of the model when it is started.  In fact, the General section of the rulebook states:

"Engines of CL and RC models may be started and regulated by an assistant."

Also, starters are allowed.  There is nothing in the rulebook that prohibits the use of starters.

There is no bonus for starting the take-off within one minute after the signal to start.  Even earlier rules when there was a 5-point bonus for the take-off within one minute, a "mechanic" could start the engine.  The bonus was awarded when "Take-off [was] within one minute from the time the contestant or mechnic begins to flip the propeller."   (From the 1972 rulebook)  But it was becuase of this wording where the "contestant or mechanic begins to flip the propeller" that was generally interpreted to mean that starters could not be used.  Evidently, it was thought that starters could not "flip" the propeller, only a person's hand or finger had to be used to "flip" the propeller.

Anyway, starters are allowed by our AMA rules.  Also, starters are now allowed in the FAI F2B rules which still has a bonus for the take-off within one minute of the signal to start.

Keith

Advertise Here
Tags: engine  motor  start 

Advertise Here